“good foog and great facilities”

Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2011

shula restauantwa very good. Great appetizers in bar area. nice indoor pool and hot tub. Great location for shopping with huge mall right done the road and van to take you there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I have no complaints. That is rare for me. Okay. One complaint. They don't print a paper receipt and shove it under your door. Claim they're saving forests or some nonsense. It's a pain in the @ss. We constant business travelers need those receipts. Print them.

Otherwise, the property is new(er), clean, and has a very good executive lounge for Hilton Hhonors Diamond members and presumably others.

The downside? Cost. Face it, Richmond isn't Manhattan. It's Richmond. An appropriate rate for this town and this property would be around $150-$175. More is too much.

Okay, one other thing ... location. This is way the heck out in the middle of nowhere. It's right off the highway, but a long way from downtown Richmond. Again, this factors to the cost.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a two night business trip and was disappointed by the lack of attention to detail with respect to the customer experience. The shuttle pickup I requested was 45 minutes late and I had to call the hotel to remind them which was annoying after a long day at the office. When I was picked up I was told that the shuttle had come (which must have been early) and picked up two other people but didn't bother to check that I had been picked up and just left without me. Then I got up at 5:45am to workout in the fitness center only to find that their little room only has six pieces of equipment - three of which were occupied and the other three were broken and unusable. The concierge told me to "use the sidewalk" which I told him was not appealing to me since I am a female who does not like to walk around in a strange area by myself in the dark. Disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank hoofamily
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The spa is very nice. We have stayed here several times, enjoyed it each time. Staff is friendly and very helpful, though at times the number of travelers overwhelms them. Service in restaurants is good. Bar is slow. Rooms are clean and quiet. Nice location.

Room Tip: Stay on back of hotel for quiet rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob_Gillis
Reviewed 19 November 2011

First of all, let me say that this hotel is beautiful. The decor is lovely and the typical amenities I've come to expect in a Hilton are all present and done well. The rooms are well appointed with comfy bedding, flat screen tv's and immaculate bathrooms. The downside? We have stayed here twice now and both times, the noise level in the hotel has been unpleasant, to say the least. The first time, we couldn't enjoy the pool due to the yelling, inappropriate language and antics of a few other guests in the pool and pool area. This past visit, we couldn't enjoy our dinner and drinks because of screaming kids running around the lobby area. The kids were WILD - climbing all over the furniture and banging on the computers in the lounge area. I understand that this is a large hotel and most likely a popular venue for reunions, wedding receptions, etc. But, for the mutual enjoyment of all guests, it would have been appropriate for a manager to contain the rowdiness.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tinainvirginia
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and are concerned about the sentiment that it wasn't peaceful during your stay. Although we consider our hotel to be very calming and relaxing (including our spa and salon), we know that from time to time events and groups may interrupt our usual atmosphere in the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we will take steps to ensure our staff and management team are more focussed on ensuring everyone has a relaxing stay. We hope to have an opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

First the good news. The hotel is located in a growing area with lots of modern shopping options for folks into the suburban shopping experience. The indoor pool is nice and the gym is adequate. Parking is free (a rare find in a big city name brand hotel) as is the Internet connection.

Now the not so good news. Check in was very late. True, like most places they do not promise the ability to check in before 3 p.m. but in most places one can get in sooner. My meeting started at 1 p.m. and I'd driven quite a ways to get there. But no hope of getting to freshen up or relax before the meeting. Still, that was within the stated policy, so one cannot really complain about the situation.

More importantly, for some reason, the hotel simply forgot or refused to clean my room on the second day. I left in the morning and there was NOT a "do not disturb" sign was on the door. Upon my return after lunch I found the room untouched. So, I thought perhaps they were doing the rooms where folks were checking out first. It is a busy place.

When no maid arrived by 4:30 I informed the front desk (in person by walking down there) that if they did not intend to clean the room I would at least like some more coffee and hand lotion for the next day. (I am capable of making my own bed.) The front desk informed me they would have the room completely serviced. So, I left for a jog around and through the nearby shopping area. When I returned, no sign of maid service.

At 6:45 on my way to a business dinner I again inquired. The front desk person looked at me perplexed and said "we requested the service at 4:30." I am not sure what I was supposed to do about it. They promised again to have the room serviced.

By chance I had forgotten my convention name tag and wanted to wear it at the business dinner. When I returned to my room 30 minutes later an attendant was entering.

"I understand you requested extra towels," he said. I explained that I had actually asked for maid service or at least some coffee and lotion. He seemed genuinely surprised. When I arrived back after dinner. the bed had been somewhat made and I had more towels than one person could ever use. But the used drinking glasses from the prior night and the couple of towels on the floor were still there. The trash had not been emptied and there was no new liner for the ice bucket.

So, if you want a fairly new place with a decent pool in a suburban location this is a good choice -- so long as you don't actually expect them to service your room or think repeated attempts to fix the situation will get you anywhere. There is clearly an internal communication problem that will hopefully be addressed over time.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We have made some dramatic improvements in the Housekeeping department to include new staff and more training to address these issues.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to have the oppportunity to have you as our guest again to show you that what you experienced is certainly not the norm.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Enjoyed the stay immensely; very nice proeprty; location is by lots of shopping but you really need a car to get around; not really near any attractions

Staff was very friendly and seemed to go the extra mile to ensure a nice stay

I was there on business and I had an issue with poor cell phone reception for verizon whcih was a bit annoying

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

That is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa. We hope to provide each guest with personalized service to compliment the beautiful hotel and expansive area of Short Pump.

If we can ever assist you in the future, please do not hesitate to call upon us.