“great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is luxury hotel with an attentive and welcoming staff. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. We booked this hotel at the last minute -only a few hours before we arrived. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. There were not mistakes or disappointments. We liked it so much that we planned to return to the area just to stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are well appointed and clean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mia B
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Mia B,

Thank you taking the time to share great feedback from your stay on TripAdvisor. You truly experienced the beauty, charm and genuine warmth of the Hilton hospitality.

The Staff at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa strives for excellence in all aspects of the hospitality that we provide and I am glad you noticed their efforts. Thank you again for your kind words of recommendation and we hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Richmond.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I thought the location of this hotel was very good, a short walk to the short pump town center. not as close as the hyatt that is attached to the town center, but this hotel had an indoor pool which was a big plus as we have two small children. I actually really liked the hotel in general, but cannot give it 4 or 5 stars because of the reception I received when we first arrived. The red haired receptionist at the front (I wish I'd gotten her name) acted like I was putting her out to check in. As she's checking me in and not telling me one thing about the property, her co-worker next to her was telling the man in a business suit checking in all about the amenities, the free shuttle to and from the town center, the hours of all of the restaurants, when room service starts, where the pool and fitness center are, etc. I did not get any of this courtesy. I was asked my name in a bored manner and then ignore until I was handed my keys and told where the elevators were. I even tried to prompt her by saying I'd overheard the other reception person telling about the amenities, in particular the shuttle service, to which she replied, "yeah we have free shuttle service up to 3.5 miles for all guests." Later in the afternoon, I had to ask the nice bellman for more information about the shuttle, as it was of interest to me and no one had bothered to tell me about it. I don't know if its because I was dressed casually and had my 2 year old son with me, or maybe I looked young to the person, but that kind of treatment is really uncalled for and made me angry. I should be treated just as well as anyone else who comes in to spend a good amount of money to stay in a hotel for the night. The next morning, the two women at the front desk were extremely nice and helpful and friendly. The only other issue I had with this hotel were the tiles at the pool, they are EXTREMELy slippery and not safe for young children, my son almost slipped a few times.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Someone475,

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review. We deeply apologize that your expectations were not met during your recent visit to the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa. I can appreciate your dissatisfaction with the poor arrival experience. The Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa and its Staff have always enjoyed stellar reviews for their top notch service and superior accommodations. I do apologize for any inconvenience and although you are disappointed I would like to encourage you to visit Hilton Richmond during your next visit so that we can make it up to you.

Please rest assured, I will surely discuss your thoughts with the concerned teams to improve the overall experiences of our future guests. Meanwhile, feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for me personally if you would like to discuss your visit further.
Simpsonville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

New and clean, nice room with good bedding and good size bathroom and TV screen. Housekeeping was consistently good over the nine nights i was there. Staff was friendly except at checkout when I had to dispute a restaurant charge on my bill. I never charged anything to my room and the desk clerk practically called me a liar before he finally agreed to take the charge off. I stayed on the executive floor and there really was no great benefit for the extra charge. Continental breakfast in the lounge was lacking. It was skimpy even for a continental. They had one tray of "hot" food some mornings but it looked like leftovers, one day was absolutely gross potatoes. Nighttime apps were poor as well, looked like frozen food. One drink was $8 in the lounge on the 8th floor. The restaurant was Shula's on the first floor which I'm sure had great food but the prices were too high to stay within what I am budgeted by my employer with little other choice but bar apps. The fitness room is too small for the size of the hotel and was often packed with no open treadmill or elliptical machine. They have an issue with hot water on the upper floors, one morning I had to take a cold shower another it barely was warm enough if turned all the way to hot. One morning there was a fire alarm and there was no apparent fire and people had to evacuate in bedclothes. I won't go back for business trips to Richmond.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Rhohma1
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Rhohma1,

Thank you for taking time to share insights and comments from your recent stay at the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa. We strive for excellence in all aspects of the hospitality that we provide and I am very sorry to learn that your experiences did not add up to a perfect ‘5’.

At your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please feel free to contact me directly at 804-364-3600 Thank you so much.
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Been here twice on business and both times been impressed on all fronts. The desk staff are very personable and welcoming - and not in the canned, corporate-induced way. They are genuinely nice and seem glad to see you. Rooms are clean and comfortable with all the things I look for: lots of plugs, comfortable bed, shower with good water pressure, and quiet. Restaurants are good, with a Shula's steakhouse right on property - which is convenient when you've just gotten into town and just want a nice meal without hassle. Though the restaurant scene in this part of Richmond isn't spectacular, there are some other decent options nearby.

2 Thank rurimaja
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Rurimaja,

This was such an insanely good review, thank you!

The Staff at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa strives for excellence in all aspects of the hospitality that we provide and I am glad you noticed their efforts. Our location is certainly an aspect we like to brag about and there are quite a few phenomenal "foodie-havens" in Short Pump. Perhaps on your next trip, allow our Concierge Desk to make a few recommendations to quench your taste buds. They come highly recommended by our patrons and our shuttle service is always ready to please!

Our appreciation of your heartwarming compliments cannot be overstated. The Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa will continue to work hard to earn your endorsements. Come back soon and often. Thanks again!
Chesterfield, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel during a three day snowstorm in order to be closer to work. Rooms were clean and the hotel was well staffed. Worth every penny! You will not be disappointed! The room was a great size and the food at the restaurant was great as well.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Paula H
Dear Paula H,

Thank you for your amazing review! "Worth every penny" sounds pretty good to me. I am so happy we were able to take such great care of you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here for Valentine's weekend. The hotel is in a nice area, next to tons of shopping and restaurants- about 15 minutes west of downtown Richmond. It is 8 floors and there is a garage underneath if you don't care to park outside. We stayed on the 8th floor (hilton honors member). The room was nice. A little too "perfum-y". Don't know if that was a person who stayed in the room before us (and if so- way too much cologne) or the cleaning spray. The bathroom was very nice. No tub (fine by me) and probably the cleanest shower I've seen (that's very good). Toilet paper was thin (not Charmin for sure), but the towels were nicely sized. Room was standard Hilton room. I thought the bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows. They have a spa attached to the hotel, but didn't use it, so can't speak to that. They have a steakhouse (Shula's - aka Don Shula) which is their restaurant/bar. Overall, it is a nice hotel. No complaints.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chamdex
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Chamdex,

Thank you so much for celebrating Valentine's Day weekend with us and taking the time to comment on your stay. Although, I am pleased to see your appreciation of our beautiful facility and unbeatable location, I am very disappointed that we failed to make your experience a perfect '5'.

While I wish you loved your stay with us, I would be truly grateful if, perhaps, you would be so kind to tell us where you felt the hotel fell short of your expectations and what we could have done differently to make your stay better. We welcome feedback with open arms and would greatly appreciate your candor. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally at 804-364-3600. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I am a Lifetime Platium with one of your competitor. My Family and I have enjoyed this week because first the room was very clean, second your staff was very, very friendly and Professional. The Hostess "Doreen" at Shula's made us very welcome. We are here because of medical emergency and will be back. Thanks for making us feel welcome .

Room Tip: A high quality place to stay. great atmosphere with friendly staff
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Fred B
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear Fred B,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing how much you enjoyed the location of our hotel in the much sought after Short Pump shopping district. Doreen is indeed our Service Champion and it gives me great pleasure to see her hospitality recognized by discerning travelers such as youself!

You have my sincere gratitude for your endorsements and I look forward to welcoming you soon should your travels bring you back to Richmond.