“Suprisingly good hotel!”

Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I went to Richmond for a wedding. Guests were encouraged to stay at this Hilton in Short Pump. I was impressed with the great customer service! The hotel decor is very mid-centry mod style (blues and silvers with chocolate brown furniture). The rooms were clean well docorated. The beds were VERY comfortable!! I forgot to pack a hairbrush and the little store did not have one. The front desk was so nice - and gave me a little comb. One comment - the desk in the room -- the mirrors in front of it were very tiny. With 2 girls getting ready for a wedding -- the only mirror to put on makeup was in the bathroom. Just a small design issue. My friends went out the bar after the wedding -- they had a blast!

A nice safety feature --- yo can not enter the floors with the rooms unless you have a access key. Very nice feature for single gals to feel safe!!

I had breakfast included with the room -- and it was decent. The eggs had seen better days -- but there was fresh fruit, ceral, bagels, juice, cofffee. If you want panckaes -- you have to just ask.

Overall as a city girl from DC -- I was impressed with the hotel. And great customer service. Just to obad I have no other reason to visit again.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paddlepaddle
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Paddlepaddle, thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. Our staff enjoyed hosting the wedding that you attended. I am glad you enjoyed Shula's Steakhouse as well as our Lounge and the hotel overall. I am sorry to hear that you don't have any other reason to come stay with us. However, if I can make a suggestion, with the upscale shopping at Short Pump Town Center right next door and our very own Aura Spa & Salon, perhaps a rejuvenating getaway is in order.

Devin Heath

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed 10 June 2010

This Hilton opened in December 2009 and has that new hotel look and feel. I was given a regular guest room with a comfortable king bed. The room was spacious, well lit and nicely furnished. A 42 HD TV and large work desk were nice additions to the room. The bathroom was an adequate size with granite counter tops and a walk-in shower. The workout room contains a handful of treadmills and elliptical machines, a dumbbell rack, weight bench and some abdominal equipment. The hotel staff was very friendly. I ate dinner at Shula's one night and the meal was excellent. If you would like to save on dinner check out the happy hour food and drink specials in Shula's bar area. Overall I had a very nice stay and would stay here again while traveling for business in this area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank FlyonTime

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. Your review on our Shula's Steakhouse is exactly what we planned to offer for guests: an upscale, fine dining option in the dining room as well as a more casual and social atmosphere at a lesser price point in Shula's Lounge, both with the excellent Shula's quality food. If we can ever be of assistance to you for future travels, please let me know.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

I started to stop staying at Hilton due to quality drop. This Hilton restores my faith somewhat.
I wish it resembled all Hiltons these days.
The staff are impeccable. Always a smile. Always wanting to help. The rooms are excellent,large,comfy. bathroom is largish with seperate large walk in Shower. Guess what,Internets free,. What a pleasant change.
Shulas steakhouse is absolutely excellent. Sensational team service and fantastic food.
If you are staying in Richmond, Short Pump is 10 minutes from down town. if you need to stay anywhere, do yourself a favor - STAY HERE

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ray Goldberg

Mr. Goldberg, thank you very much for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both our facilities including Shula's as well as the service provide by our staff. If we can ever be of assistance to you on future travels, please let me know.

Reviewed 27 May 2010

My husband and I have stayed many weeks at this Hilton usually checking in on Monday and out on Friday. The staff is attentive and makes it like home when we return. The breakfast buffet which is free to Diamond guests is good and fresh and the steakhouse serves hearty meals. We like business center in the lobby has touchscreen computers and free, fast wireless. We walk to the Short Pump mall next door which has Macy's and Nordstrom's and lots to see when you need a walk.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank glennsmrs

It is a pleasure to have you as our guests and we are glad you think of us as your home away from home. Thank you for your continued support of our hotel and our team.

Reviewed 23 May 2010

I am teetering on giving 3 or 4 stars. I will stick with 4 because of the goods and hopes that improvements will be made.

THE GREAT....as a Diamond, the hilton honors breakfast was very good. Lots of fresh selections. NICE. The water flow and pressure was outstanding! The business center was very well equipped right down to touch screen monitors. Free wireless internet is a nice touch and in today's day and age, should be standard everywhere. The hotel is very clean (should be with the age) and the Hilton beds are awesome as always. The bell staff was VERY good - friendly and full of service if you needed it.

THE MEDIOCRE...Parking is not great especially if coming in late. The location is out of the way even if meeting around on Broad Street. Traffic is slow in the area making the location less than optimal. The value - well, they are living on the promise of being a new property and being pretty full. As a Diamond, I woud have expected some upgrade but received nothing.

THE BAD...the front desk. NO interest in helping. I had a question on my bill and rate charged and they had no way to help nor interest. I could not wait - so a promise was made to call me about my rate dispute which I never received. If I did that in business, I'd be done QUICK. No bill under my door....I prefer that so I don't have to mess around at their understaffed desk. Service in Shula's for breakfast was dismal at best. I was done with an entire plate of food before I received a beverage. If not free, I would have been furious.

This property does not meet the service of Hilton's I have stayed at around the US. The 4 stars is lucky from me because technically, the rooms, sleep quality and cleanliness is what I expect from Hilton and not above and beyond.

With other chains making runs at the Diamond level members based on program changes and bonus point options (Holiday Inn and Marriott), Hilton cannot afford to have underperforming properties like this one.

I would stay again and still suggest it to a friend given the lack of nice hotels in the area but things need to improve.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Orr333, thank you for your response about your stay with us. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. During your stay we had two very large conferences in house which took much of the parking and Executive Level rooms we had. We sincerely regret that we were unable to offer an upgrage during that stay. Our location near Short Pump Town Center offers travelers a large amount of options for activities near our hotel but can also mean an extra amount of street activity. Our staff's performance was certainly not how we treat our guests. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry. If I can ever be of assistance in the future please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to meet you on your next visit to hear how your stay went.

Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel on two separate weekends in April. The hotel is new, clean, nice looking, and in a great location next to Short Pump Town Center. That is where my overall compliments end.

After I checked into the hotel on my first stay, I opened the door to my room to find that it was not clean and that the pervious guests had not checked out. Fortunately, the guests were not still in the room at that moment or it would have been extremely awkward and embarrassing! The staff at the front desk seemed extremely confused that this mishap had occurred and were also a bit embarrassed. I understand that sometimes mistakes happen, and the woman behind the desk assigned me to a new room without a problem. I thought that they handled this well, so did not have any misgivings about staying there the following weekend.

On my second stay, there was no hot water in the room for the entire morning. My husband and I had to take cold showers in the morning in order to check out on time. When we did check out, the staff did not ask the usual "How was your stay?" My husband still let him know that there was no hot water that morning in the room. The gentlman behind the desk did not seem phased by this. He coolly responded that he had heard that from other guests and so he just assumed that everyone in the hotel had taken a shower at the same time. I found his response to be very rude and did not understand how a Hilton Hotel does not have the capacity to have enough hot water for all of their guestrooms.

My last comment is that the rooms in this hotel are fairly noisy. During one of my stays, there was a constant banging sound coming from the air ducts (it sounded like a mechanical problem). Furtunately it did not continue through the night. At night, however, during both stays I found that the hallway noise carried into the rooms. Perhaps this is because the rooms have a small tiled foyer area by the door, which does not help to block noise. In any event, I was woken up in the middle of the night several times from hearing voices in the hallway at all hours of the late night and early morning.

Overall, I think that this hotel could do a lot more to live up to their rating. In isolation, each of the issues I experienced might be overlooked, however they all happened over two separate stays. This is still a new property and has time to figure out how to address these issues. In fact, I hope that they do because it is in a great location and is a very clean and nice looking property.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mlc84
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Thank you for your response. While I am glad to hear your positive feedback, I am sorry to hear that you faced the issues you did on your stays. The motor for the hot water has been replaced and we have not had any issues since that day. Again, thank you for your response.

Devin Heath, General Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Even with my company paying for my trip, this hotel is not worth it. My experience was absolutely awful and I would never go back. The front desk clerks have no idea what they are doing. I waited for 45 minutes for my room (I checked in well after the 4PM check-in time). The don't give you a bill at the end of your stay so I had to wait in line for that before I could leave for my meeting. They don't have room service - or if they do, no one in the hotel knew how it worked. I had issues getting onto the Internet, which again, no one in the hotel could help me with. They said the hotel was brand new, yet my shower was disgusting and filled with gross stains on the floor. And the hotel is in a terrible location if you need to be downtown.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank jillybean002

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel during your trip. We have had very positive responses to our service however, it appears we did not perform to our level on your trip in January. We do have room service serving Shula's Steak House cuisine and we have revisited this with everyone on staff. I would like to discuss your stay with you further to gain more specifics so I can follow up with our team. Please email me or call me at the hotel when it is convenient for you.

Thank you for your consideration.

Devin Heath, General Manager