“Barely rates an average.”

Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I debated whether to rate this average or poor, but given that I generally like Hilton, I decided to be more generous despite the fact that this hotel generally left me annoyed for the 2 days we stayed there.

In fact just thinking about this is irritating all over again; here's why:
The lobby decor is not terribly attractive and the chairs at where the Internet computers are located are ridiculous -- so low that trying to use the computers is an ergonomic disaster.
The floor coverings in the room had a sticky rubbery surface that was most unpleasant (ie. creepy) against bare feet. Since the hotel didn't provide slippers -- very odd for a spa hotel -- I kept shoes or socks on the whole time.
The windows don't open, not even an inch. Forget about getting anything but stale recycled hotel air. Why in God's name any hotel would cement the windows shut I have no idea, but this virtually assures that I will never stay here again.
Took forever for someone to answer the front desk phone.
No shuttle to the airport? Seriously?
Tried to get a cup of coffee in the morning and -- since there are no coffee makers in the room -- went downstairs to the coffee bar. But it was shuttered (on a Friday morning!) because whoever was supposed to staff it just didn't bother to show up and apparently Hilton only knew one person who was qualfied to make coffee and change. In-freaking-credible. So, unless I wanted to get into my car and drive to get a bloody coffee, my only choice was to go into the restaurant where they charged me like $5 for a cup I could have gotten for $1.50 at any Starbucks.

Trying to find something nice to say: the beds are good and the bathrooms are nice.

Yeah, I'm still annoyed.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Steve K, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear KathleenM1,

I am so sorry that your stay was less than perfect. As we strive to constantly improve, it is constructive feedback like this that motivates and gives us direction. Thank you for being our guest, and I hope we’ll get to show you the full potential of the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa on your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump

Reviewed 6 July 2010

Great, new hotel (opened 12/09), yet while facility is overall great, several negatives. My wife & I came here for 3 days for the spa--boy were we disappointed!!! It is truly little more than a glorified nail/hair salon, that happens to offer 4 treatment rooms for massages. There is ONE steam shower, but it is in one of the treatment rooms!!! The lockers are actually within the toilet (again, for ONE). They were not set up with towels, soap, shampoo, hair dryer, etc., yet they offer showers following a treatment--I had to traipse to my room in my robe. The actual massage that my wife & I had were good, but administratively, they are severely challenged- The appointment times were not correct. And all this for high prices plus an automatic 22% gratuity!?!?!?!? Within the actual hotel, the flat panel HDtv is great but doesn't offer movies on demand, or any premium channels other than regular HBO. As the hotel is new, the concierge lounge is only open for cocktails, Su-Th. The breakfast buffet offered in lieu is excellent, though the breakfast staff is very SLOW in both serving and cooking meals. We dined in the Shula's steakhouse on site and were very impressed with the quality and service, but it was expensive. Everything surrounding the hotel is under construction. Fitness center is lacking gym wipes. The few lounge chairs outside seem to be used as a smoking area.
In sum, come here for it being a business hotel, and nothing more.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lawrence C

Dear Flaviator ,

I am genuinely sorry to see that rather than exceeding your expectations we fell short. We pride ourselves on creating a truly unique hotel experience - I invite you to reach out to me personally so that we might regain your trust in the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed 28 June 2010

1. Lavish rooms & cusine
2. Good service
3. Best place to spend your vacation in.
4. Real value for money.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ruchi1983
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are pleased to hear how you feel about our hotel. We strive to provide not just a hotel stay but an experience for our guests. If we can be of assistance to you in the future please let us know.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

I went to Richmond for a wedding. Guests were encouraged to stay at this Hilton in Short Pump. I was impressed with the great customer service! The hotel decor is very mid-centry mod style (blues and silvers with chocolate brown furniture). The rooms were clean well docorated. The beds were VERY comfortable!! I forgot to pack a hairbrush and the little store did not have one. The front desk was so nice - and gave me a little comb. One comment - the desk in the room -- the mirrors in front of it were very tiny. With 2 girls getting ready for a wedding -- the only mirror to put on makeup was in the bathroom. Just a small design issue. My friends went out the bar after the wedding -- they had a blast!

A nice safety feature --- yo can not enter the floors with the rooms unless you have a access key. Very nice feature for single gals to feel safe!!

I had breakfast included with the room -- and it was decent. The eggs had seen better days -- but there was fresh fruit, ceral, bagels, juice, cofffee. If you want panckaes -- you have to just ask.

Overall as a city girl from DC -- I was impressed with the hotel. And great customer service. Just to obad I have no other reason to visit again.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paddlepaddle
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2010

Paddlepaddle, thank you for writing about your recent stay with us. Our staff enjoyed hosting the wedding that you attended. I am glad you enjoyed Shula's Steakhouse as well as our Lounge and the hotel overall. I am sorry to hear that you don't have any other reason to come stay with us. However, if I can make a suggestion, with the upscale shopping at Short Pump Town Center right next door and our very own Aura Spa & Salon, perhaps a rejuvenating getaway is in order.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

This Hilton opened in December 2009 and has that new hotel look and feel. I was given a regular guest room with a comfortable king bed. The room was spacious, well lit and nicely furnished. A 42 HD TV and large work desk were nice additions to the room. The bathroom was an adequate size with granite counter tops and a walk-in shower. The workout room contains a handful of treadmills and elliptical machines, a dumbbell rack, weight bench and some abdominal equipment. The hotel staff was very friendly. I ate dinner at Shula's one night and the meal was excellent. If you would like to save on dinner check out the happy hour food and drink specials in Shula's bar area. Overall I had a very nice stay and would stay here again while traveling for business in this area.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank FlyonTime

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. Your review on our Shula's Steakhouse is exactly what we planned to offer for guests: an upscale, fine dining option in the dining room as well as a more casual and social atmosphere at a lesser price point in Shula's Lounge, both with the excellent Shula's quality food. If we can ever be of assistance to you for future travels, please let me know.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

I started to stop staying at Hilton due to quality drop. This Hilton restores my faith somewhat.
I wish it resembled all Hiltons these days.
The staff are impeccable. Always a smile. Always wanting to help. The rooms are excellent,large,comfy. bathroom is largish with seperate large walk in Shower. Guess what,Internets free,. What a pleasant change.
Shulas steakhouse is absolutely excellent. Sensational team service and fantastic food.
If you are staying in Richmond, Short Pump is 10 minutes from down town. if you need to stay anywhere, do yourself a favor - STAY HERE

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ray Goldberg

Mr. Goldberg, thank you very much for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed both our facilities including Shula's as well as the service provide by our staff. If we can ever be of assistance to you on future travels, please let me know.

Reviewed 27 May 2010

My husband and I have stayed many weeks at this Hilton usually checking in on Monday and out on Friday. The staff is attentive and makes it like home when we return. The breakfast buffet which is free to Diamond guests is good and fresh and the steakhouse serves hearty meals. We like business center in the lobby has touchscreen computers and free, fast wireless. We walk to the Short Pump mall next door which has Macy's and Nordstrom's and lots to see when you need a walk.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank glennsmrs

It is a pleasure to have you as our guests and we are glad you think of us as your home away from home. Thank you for your continued support of our hotel and our team.