“What a real joy this place is..”
Review of The Black Sheep - CLOSED

The Black Sheep
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 February 2014

In a nut shell... If you are in Richmond, You have to try this place.

Recently my Girl Friend picked me up at the airport... handed me some papers and said you navigate... Deal!! We honestly, round and round we went...When you are driving there... and turn down Goshen Street and get to Marshall... It is on your LEFT... Once we figured that out and parked, we walked over to the Black Sheep. Once in the door I saw that every face in the place had a smile, even though it was a rainy day, and I mentioned that to Erin...

After Lunch I now know why! What a great people, and what a menu... Thanks...

Steve

1  Thank Steve C

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The is one of my favorite places to eat when visiting Richmond. It is unpretentious, low key, casual, and the food is quality is superb.
The cuisine is best known as New American, which I think can best be described as whatever is fresh and good.
The place is known for its gigantic 20 inch baguette style sandwiches. But do not make the mistake of over looking the other food.
We had a special of crab and tomato soup. My son commented that you can always judge a restaurant by how they cook their soups. It is easy to overlook something so simple. Our soup was delicious.
We also had a beets salad. Ok, beet salad is hard to do badly.
We also order the Empanadas, which were naturally home made and fantastic. The salsa served with it was amazing.
Finally on the giant baguette sandwiches: awesome.
Really a great treat to eat here.

1  Thank Wil_from_Va
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place was featured on triple d or what is better known as Drive ins, Diners & Dives. The Black sheep fits the Dive category because of its location. It is on the edge of Virginia Commonwealth U. hospital campus. the business is located in a corner of re purposed warehouse. Parking is a bit rough but doable. But it is worth the effort to find this place! Period. Food is fantastic! Interior is modern / brick wall! Have any of tehir sandwiches and you will never want to eat anything anywhere else.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This is a DDD location and that is why I went there. Atmosphere and service was great. Known for stuffed pizza and onion rings I was told. Onion rings major greasy but very tasty. Stuffed pizza good but not great. Service was super! Glad to have tried , would go back but not order any fried foods. Clean and nostalgic. Calzone was HUGE!!! Not to pricey, but not cheap. Good value for price.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Theres so much thats good about the Black Sheep in an area populated mostly by students trying to eat on the cheap. The menu is creative and different, and full of great options for every meal. The beer list has awesome selections, and the sandwiches? Chock full of fresh ingredients, the brimming two-foot baguettes easily fill two hungry diners without emptying their wallets. The dining room is small and cozy, so reservations are critical for all but the most unusual times. Other reviewers complained about apathetic or rude service-we had no issues in the least. We didnt make new BFFs, but we werent expecting that. We expected a good meal with good recommendations, and left satisfied in every regard.