“Could be a great stay, but wasn't” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Reisterstown, Maryland
“Could be a great stay, but wasn't”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This hotel is quite new and quite clean, but I can't say we enjoyed our stay.
It started at the front desk. We reserved a disability room (knowing from the other stays at Hampton that there are some located away from an elevator). The clerk gave us the room right next to it and when we addressed this issue assured us that ALL disability rooms are close to elevators. OK we said then give us a standard room away from the elevator. She gives us standard room right next to the elevator second time. It took 3 attempts to get a room away from the elevator and when we finally got it we so the disable room sign right at the door of the room across our door. OK we thought, might be that room is occupied and that's why she couldn't give it to us but why lay about it? During all our stay surprisingly we didn't here a beep from that door, though we heard some noises from the others, which convinced us in opposite. She just didn't want to accommodate our request. The other reasons we'll never stay in this hotel again are:
a) the POOR breakfast they serve (we stay at Hamptons a lot and this was the WORST from all) and b) the poor maintenance of the property (the toilet seat was shaky, the door stop at the bathroom was missing and so on).
So hotel is new but the management is bad.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank pyatachok
David B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear pyatachok:
At our hotel, he specific type of room you initially requested in an accessable version are all located immediately off the elevator as a courtesy to those in wheelchairs or otherwise in need of this room type. The disabled room across from yours was, in fact unavailable during your stay, and did not meet your reservation requirements based on bed type, I am sorry our attempt to offter you convenience without the long walk fell short, and am glad you were happy with the room you ended up in. The Hampton brand standards require us to serve very specific items, which are the same in every Hampton branded hotel across the nation. having said that, we are currently "tweaking" where we can, creating new combinations of existing items, adding fruit topping for our waffles, etc.. Your comments about the room are greatly appreciated, as we are entering our busy season we are are going room by room looking for issues just like you mentioned and making repairs when necessary,. Your loyalty of the Hampton brand is appreciated - and it is our hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Staunton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stay there frequently for business, and it's always very nice. The staff is very friendly, professional and knowledgeable, including Andre, Yen and Antuan, and many others whose names I don't know. Housekeeping staff is great as well!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Very nice hotel. All new or redone with modern theme. Lacks resturant but there are many close by. Outdoor pool is open until 10pm. Maid service lacked of attention to detail on my lengthy stay over a week. Room needed vacuumed and dusted but was not the entire time i was there.
Nice Managers reception on Monday nights from 5:30-7pm. staf is very nice.

Room Tip: NO Resturant or Room service. they do offer hot breakfast
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

By far this was the nicest Hampton Inn we have ever stayed. Our king room was huge. We were on the first floor and our ceiling was very high adding to the spacious feel of the room. The hotel is very new so everything still looks perfect state of the art and the beds very comfortable. The staff was extremely nice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I stayed one night on our way back from the beach. Having read the reviews before booking, I was not surprised by the breakfast offerings and we made plans ahead of time to eat elsewhere prior to getting on the road. Nice location and easy access to get back to the interstate.

• Stayed July 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton/Glenside this past weekend for a family get together in Richmond. It was very welcoming and clean. The rooms are very clean, beds are comfortable, and bathrooms are spacious. Breakfast was OK if you just want the basics--yougurt, bananas, apples, cereal, breads and pastries, and waffles. The premade western omelet was OK. Great coffee ! This was probably an oversight, but our room was not made up with clean towels, etc. after our first night. We didn't leave until around 11 a.m. for the day on Saturday and returned late in the evening. The front desk gave us fresh towels. Even though it was a cloudy, rainy weekend, the hotel has a small, nice outdoor pool. Many other hotels in the area have an indoor pool only.

Room Tip: Staying on the first floor was nice because of proximity to exercise room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sooz56
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed at this Hampton Inn this past weekend to attend a friend wedding held at the Westin. Upon entering the hotel, I immediately noticed how clean the reception/lobby area was. When I obtained my key, I asked the desk clerk about late check-out for Sunday (12 noon). She informed me it should not be a problem and to touch basis with her Sunday morning. My room was on the 2nd floor and I absolutely loved the decor of the hallways and the doors to the room. I was surprised at how you enter the room (you don't insert your key, you hold it up to a sensor and the door opens), but I figured it out. Would be helpful for the desk clerk to explain that, but it was no big deal. I had the King size room and it was just right for me! The bathroom was clean, the refrigerator was cold, which is unusual for a small refrigerator in hotel rooms. The bathroom was big and I loved the little nook with the coffee maker and towels! The breakfast was ok...I would recommend putting meat on the menu (sausage/bacon), but it will do if you don't want to eat a lot. Of course, there are plenty of eating places close by if you choose not to eat breakfast downstairs. I went down a little after 8 a.m. and it was not crowded.
On Sunday morning, I called down to ask about checking out at noon and the lady remembered me and said it was no problem and she would make note of it. Thank you! I was able to go back to my room and just relax for the next 3 hrs after eating breakfast.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this to others looking for a decent rate hotel with great service and clean rooms.

Room Tip: Request a room on either the 3rd or 4th floor....away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo