“Fantastic stay in an immaculate, ultra modern hotel”

Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Absolutely loved this place. Wish I had the time to spend a few more days here.

Rooms were impressive, beds new and so so comfortable. Reception staff were amazing, Reception has free 24 hr coffee/tea & internet room (free for guests) as well as free fast wi-fi throughout the hotel. Swimming pool excellent as was the free breakfast.

Great, great place - in reception theres a huge 50" touchscreen to who you all the google places to visit, eat at, shopping, attractions etc... & you just click on print and the output free of charge is printed for you.

To do : while your here, make sure you drive to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts which is minutes away (you can park immediately outside for free or park in the grounds all day for $5) - there's a reason this is the number 1 attraction in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I read a couple of reviews and the only negative thing I agree with is the noise from the air conditioner. It was high-pitched, but I adjusted. The refrigerator did not make any noise in my room - unless it was drowned out by the air conditioner - and it is enclosed in its own cabinet. Not only was the room clean, but the hotel boasts of how it cleans even the comforters after each guests' stay, and that was a plus for me. No, there was not a lot of room for toiletries in the shower, just for soap - but the shower/tub is large and there is PLENTY of room on the sink vanity. Two of us stayed there comfortably without feeling our individual space was compromised. I also received a COMPLEMENTARY bottle of water upon arrival (unheard of at many hotels these days) and the coffee and tea were available 24 hours a day with the fixings. The staff was great to me, and very friendly. Every question and extra needs were met immediately and politely. The continental breakfast can meet any need with the assortment of items from waffles to mini omelets, yogurt, cereal, fruit and sausage. This is the fourth hotel stay for me in the Richmond/Henrico area, and I was happy and surprised at the quality of this particular Hampton Inn. First Class for the money.

Room Tip: Join HiltonHonors. Each HiltonHonors hotel usually designates a floor or a section to its members, a...
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was a last minute booking after having to change hotels. The manager was wonderful in accommodating me during a heavily booked time. The complimentary bottle of water (surprise!) and availability of coffee and tea in the lobby at all times made things easier for my day schedule and more comfortable in the evenings. The room was clean, and it is nice to know that my covers are washed after every guest! Anything we needed was available. The staff was very friendly. The only thing about the noise in the room was the high-pitch sound from the air conditioner, but I got through it, and I am a very light sleeper. This was a jewel on W. Broad Street.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay here. We stayed for several nights and did not have a single problem. The hotel was very cleaned and seems almost brand new. The only suggestion I can make is the gravy to be pepper gravy so the vegetarians can have biscuits and gravy in the mornings! Antwon went above and beyond with customer service!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank forrill04
Reviewed 4 October 2013

heating and cooling system very noisy, whistled and rattled loudly. Guy at Front desk said all heater and ac units in the rooms were that noisy, wouldn't even check the room and wouldn't give me another room. Have lots of trips to Richmond and will not go back there!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
2  Thank Henry B
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our stay at the Hampton Inn, Glenside (Richmond VA), last weekend started out well. The employee (male) who checked us in was friendly, polite and efficient. And the location is perfect for us, between the train station and the car rental.

The trouble started when we got to our room, which was on the first floor (room 104). We thought the toilet was running but on investigation, it seemed to be that water was running through pipes in the walls from floors above and was very noticeable in our bathroom, though less so in the room when we closed the bathroom door, which we did.

The ice was all the way down at the end of a long hall (maybe 20 rooms away from us), through the hotel foyer, but that was a minor inconvenience. We noticed we were short one washcloth (there was only one in the bathroom) but again, not really a problem for us. The wi-fi worked great, which was important to us.

The bed was comfortable but the muffled water noise combined with the "clunk" the refrigerator made every time it shut off kept us both awake most of the night. (We should have unplugged the fridge but we forgot and didn't realise that was the source of the clunking until the next morning.)

The shower was a large walk-in with sliding doors. Spacious, but there was almost no surface space for soap, shaving cream, razor, shampoos, conditioner. These things kept falling from the tiny triangle allotted to them. We ended up sitting most of them on the top of the doors.

Our real problems began the next morning: When we used the toilet, it backed up. Flushing twice didn't solve it, so my husband went to the front desk, where he was met with attitude. My husband said "We have a problem in our room," to which Sari? Sam? (I couldn't quite see her name tag) replied "What is it now?" in a tone that indicated great skepticism and no sense that her job was to listen, apologise, and remedy the situation. Maybe we were the 5th room in a row to come to her with problems, maybe she was having a bad day personally, or maybe she's just a poor choice for the front desk and interaction with guests -- but whatever the reason, her lack of good customer service really coloured our impression of our stay. To her credit, whatever her demeanor with us, she got someone to come to the room and fix the toilet quickly.

We didn't feel like hanging out in the foyer and having the free breakfast after this unpleasant employee encounter, so I can't comment on it.

So, in summary, the pluses and minuses of our stay:

Plus: friendly and efficient check-in; large, spacious rooms and bathrooms; refrigerator and microwave; excellent free wi-fi; flat-screen TV; all the bathroom soaps, shampoos, mouthwash, etc. such that one would need; clean; central location for the area; plenty of easy parking; comfortable bed; fitness room and 24-hour vending store (with microwave dinners and such).

Minus: one rude employee at front desk; continuous and disruptive sound of running water in pipes in bathroom; clunking sound from fridge; housekeeping good in terms of cleanliness but lacking in leaving enough towels; not enough room for amenities in the shower; ice room is a long way from some rooms.

We will look for another place to stay when we return, which we do once or twice a year.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the first floor if you won't want to hear water coming through the pipes...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mmwm
David B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for your review - we find it most helpful to receive feedback from our guests!

While there is no excuse for a "rude" employee EVER, I will be sharing your comments with our entire front office team as a reminder that they need to always be "ON" for our guests, and we will not tolerate anything less. Our guests are why we are here, and our job is to make sure we each do out part to insure their experience - on every level - is superior.

On floors two, three and four the ice machine is located immediately off the elevators - in the middle of each hallway. On our first floor, however, the location was shifted to accommodate the elevator shafts, and the mechanical and telephone rooms, keeping it closer to our meeting rooms and kitchen. Obviously the rooms at that end of the hall have easier access to the first floor ice room. The fridges do turn off and on, common with smaller hotel fridges as an energy saving device in today's greener economy, so as they cycle to keep the temperature constant, that is the noise that you heard. In addition - the showers are supposed to have a "foot stool" that is in the back corner. From time to time they snap off the wall and are replaced, it seems that the room you were assigned to was one where we were waiting for the delivery of a new unit, and that has been corrected.

It is my hopes that givin how perfect our location was for you, that you will re-consider and give us another try next year when you are in Richmond. Please take a moment to read all the wonderful reviews on our award-winning property as I do believe the issues you exoerienced were isolated, and we will live up to your expectations on your next visit.

Again, I appreciate your comments and value your business...

David Becker, Director of Sales

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I travel a bit for work and usually stay at Hampton or Hilton Garden Inns. I stayed at this hotel for just one night but it was noticeably nicer than many Hampton Inns I've encountered. Easy to find, parking plentiful, front desk staff were helpful and efficient, breakfast was neatly arranged and well stocked and the king room I had was very large, clean and comfortable. I've stayed at the nearby Embassy on a previous trip and I preferred this hotel by quite a margin. A great value also, highly recommended!

1  Thank Michael H