“If only...”

Cuisines: American, Diner, Pakistani, Fast food
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Earlier today I attempted to go to this restaurant for my birthday lunch. This restaurant came highly recommended by a friend of the family for having great food, large portions and good customer service. How did my experience turn out? Here is my review.

The Good:

N/A

The Bad:

Everything Else- It would be nice for me to write a review about this restaurants food, service, price value and ambiance, but sad to say I did not get a chance to step one foot inside the restaurant. I arrived at the restaurant a few weeks ago around 2:15pm. The restaurants Facebook page and the sign on the front door indicated that the restaurant opened at 2pm. There was no indication that the restaurant was closed. When I got to the front door, the door was locked. I was initially under the impression that the restaurant may be closed, but my family member informed me that the person who recommended the restaurant to us said customers have to knock on the door to get inside.

So its barely 30 F outside and we are standing outside the restaurant knocking on the door and not getting an answer. I stood outside so long I was surprised that I did not have frostbite. It became apparent that while the sign on the restaurant stated that it was open, whoever was inside did not want to open the door for reasons unknown. Along with my family and I standing outside of this place, there were at least 3 other customers who were trying to get inside the restaurant around this time. Their party had the phone number to the place and when they tried to call the front desk, the phone went unanswered. Sadly for Pork Chops and Grits Cafe, Mama J's and Comfort are just a few blocks away and would gladly accept any customer that Pork Chop and Grits will not allow inside their establishment.

Overall- First impressions are lasting ones and this was the first and last time I would bother going to Pork Chops and Grits Cafe for any reason. ONE STAR.

1  Thank 712jonb

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I finally got the opportunity to go to this restaurant today. I was truly amazed at the warmth of the atmosphere as soon as I walked in. There were people there for lunch who were really enjoying themselves. The owner Ms. D is one of the most pleasant and appreciative people I have ever met. I have been eating out for almost 30 years now and have never had the owner of the establishment interact with me the way she did. And the food....oh my gosh! The portions were a great size and everything tasted great!! I got the fried pork chops, the wings and the meatloaf. The sides were equally as good (mac-n-cheese, collard greens and candied yams.) When I saw how much my picky eating daughter was enjoying the food, I know it was on point. I know that I will definitely be going to eat here again.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I was at home watching the morning news when they mentioned new restaurant openings in the area. We decided to visit Pork Chop and Grits Cafe. Upon our arrival, we were first greeted by one of the co-owners. Our waitress was extremely courteous and patient as we were in the process of trying to decide if we were going to dine-in or take-out. We did take-out. I had the catfish bites and my husband had the fried pork chop. We both had the fried sweet corn and my husband also had the cabbage. The Lord blessed this establishment and our food! The portions are not for the weak at heart or for those who are stuck up! This is real food, good food for hungry people! Thank you Lady Kendall, Chef Kendall and the entire Pork Chop and Grits Cafe for a job well done. We shall return for more real food!

1  Thank Tina G
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We found this restaurant to be centrally located. The food was excellent and you got so much food for the money. The restaurant was very clean and nicely decorated. The owners were very attentative and pleasant.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I'm a country boy (well at least as a youth). I went for lunch at about $10. We were greeted immediately. It was slow and the chef even came out and chatted with us. The old saying is don't trust a thin chef. He is not thin. I had the smothered pork chop. It was thick cut. I had the red beans and rice and although it is different than New Orleans. They are great. I also had the mac and cheese. Don't come counting calories and enjoy. I am almost 60 and the cooking was down home like eating at my grandmother's.

1  Thank JayB1r