“You must sample S@ample”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sprout - A Localvore Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Description: Sprout is a proud member of the localvore movement in Richmond VA, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner six days a week. Localvore is the diet of eating locally, and Sprout is committed to dealing direct with the farmers, growers, tofu makers, artisans, etc. that provide the food we serve. You can always rely on Sprout to serve up a menu of over 90% locally sourced ingredients, and feel confident that your dollars are being reinvested right back here in your local Virginia economy.
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I'll be honest. The whole tapa lifestyle is one I wholeheartedly endorse and thrive in. So offering up small plates of delectable delicacies is a sure fire way to my heart, and stomach. S@ample offers a trendy and modern venue (actually, not my thing but I'll go along) to sample some very tasty tidbits. My only complaint is that I wish they had a slightly larger menu to select from. Also, this place is very new and they are still smoothing out some things, but nothing major. I'll be back.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The atmosphere was nice at first. Then a large group of really loud college students were sat behind me so close to our table I was practically an univited guest at their table. After my boyfriend received his appetizer first I received mine about 5 minutes later. Then after he received his snapper as an entre I had to wait a full 10 minutes later for my hamburger. After I finally got about half of my meal eaten a gentleman stopped by our table to clear plates. With his hand already on my plate to take it away he asks if I am finished. I suppose I was then although I wasn't aware of it, so I let him take the plate. Afterall my boyfriend had finished his meal before I got mine as I forced him to eat it so it wouldn't get cold. After that the POS went down and we had to wait for our check. By that point I just wanted to leave. Our waitress was very timid and unsure of her stations throughout the dinning room. Waiting and waiting we finally had to ask for our check again from the hostess. Finally I went out to wait in the car or I would have said something nasty to the manager.

My boyfriend took me there for my birthday as we wanted to try somewhere new, but ultimately this was a dismal dinning experience. I will not be back and certainly wouldn't recommend S@mple to my friends.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

S@mple is very sheik and modern with a wide variety of plates (small and large) to try. I've had a variety of dishes and they are all delicious. Adam the owner has done a phenomenal job with the renovations. What a great place to go for lunch or dinner if you are going to see a show at the Landmark Theater. It is also just across the street from VCU and does offer parking beside the restaurant. Love it!

Reviewed 25 March 2012

The braised pork, black-eyed peas and stewed tomatoes appetizer is an amazing mixture of flavors. Another must-try is the Scotch Bonnet Pepper martini.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Having parked at the parking deck for the Landmark, where we had tickets for the "Lion King", we were not sure what to expect at Richmond's first "Tech" restaurant and bar but were prepared for a new experience. Sparsely furnished in a palette of black, grey and white, with metal tables and chairs, and a concrete floor, it felt clinical. But the waitress was friendly and helpful as she explained the concept of ordering a selection of plates to share. In fact her caring attitude saved the whole experience. My husband ordered the ribeye steak with pommes dauphinoise and was well pleased, except for the spiciness of the potatoes. I tasted one, and it was so spicy it seared my tastebuds. I ordered the red snapper oscar. This was a hunk of fish so salty it was inedible, and so rubbery I could not cut it even with a knife. The waitress apologized and returned it to the kitchen. This left me watching my husband eat, so I was pleasantly surprised when she brought me a plate of empanadas to sample "on the house" while I waited. My replacement dish of monk fish looked suspiciously the same as the red snapper, but at least this time it was edible. The accompanying asparagus was crisp and tender. In a curious twist we had ordered a side of brussels sprouts which were served as an appetizer - an interesting accompaniment to glasses of white wine. Once we lost the daylight from the windows the lighting was so inadequate we had to use a flashlight to read the check. There was also inadequate lighting on the black steps leading to a black floor to and from the restrooms. The service could not be faulted. If you enjoy over spiced, over salted food this is the place for you, but for us it was not worth the money. It is, however, convenient to the Landmark.