“Good but could be better”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sprout - A Localvore Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main St.
Description: Sprout is a proud member of the localvore movement in Richmond VA, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner six days a week. Localvore is the diet of eating locally, and Sprout is committed to dealing direct with the farmers, growers, tofu makers, artisans, etc. that provide the food we serve. You can always rely on Sprout to serve up a menu of over 90% locally sourced ingredients, and feel confident that your dollars are being reinvested right back here in your local Virginia economy.
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My wife and I both love the small plate experience so we decided to give s@mple a try. Almost didn't go in... there was only one table of four young women in the place and it was 8:30 at night.. You'd think that it would be more crowded than this... But we were glad that we did... overall the food was good, service was better and the decor was interesting. The mushroom escerbache was excellent, the broccolini was good but could have been cooked longer, the spicy crab empanadas could use a little more spice, especially the dipping sauce..the cubano was good but I make just as good at home.. My wife loved her drink... While the place was not busy, they could have spaced out the time that the food came to the table. small plates are supposed to be enjoyed slowly they should arrive one after the other so we can sample them. but all four dishes came out at once.. We will go back hopefully they can fine tune some of the food and hopefully more customers..

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have been to Sample twice. The first time I ordered the rib eye based on a recommendation that I read online. It was so chewy that I sent it back and they let me pick another dish. I got the lobster rolls on brioche. The lobster knuckles were fine but the brioche rolls are slider size and they are not the soft, fresh buttery rolls I anticipated but some kind of reheated rolls. So, the lobster rolls were just okay and, at $6 per roll, they are way too expensive for what you get. The bananas foster were delicious.

This time I ordered the sweet and sour shrimp with fuji apples in it . This dish was absolutely out of this world. This was NOT your chinese restaurant version but an innovative take on it. I could have kept eating that wonderful sauce forever. It was the only dish I have eaten at Sample that I was crazy about.

Since I had a voucher and had to spend $30, I got the Cuban sandwich as a take out. The Cuban pork,bacon, gruyere, pickle, carmelized panini was too fatty and I literally threw it out when I got home. I had the donut holes for dessert. They were VERY sweet and served with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. The whole thing was just too much.

The second time there, the a/c was not working properly and it was warm despite some box fans that were set up.

I will probably not be back, even with a voucher.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I'll be honest. The whole tapa lifestyle is one I wholeheartedly endorse and thrive in. So offering up small plates of delectable delicacies is a sure fire way to my heart, and stomach. S@ample offers a trendy and modern venue (actually, not my thing but I'll go along) to sample some very tasty tidbits. My only complaint is that I wish they had a slightly larger menu to select from. Also, this place is very new and they are still smoothing out some things, but nothing major. I'll be back.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The atmosphere was nice at first. Then a large group of really loud college students were sat behind me so close to our table I was practically an univited guest at their table. After my boyfriend received his appetizer first I received mine about 5 minutes later. Then after he received his snapper as an entre I had to wait a full 10 minutes later for my hamburger. After I finally got about half of my meal eaten a gentleman stopped by our table to clear plates. With his hand already on my plate to take it away he asks if I am finished. I suppose I was then although I wasn't aware of it, so I let him take the plate. Afterall my boyfriend had finished his meal before I got mine as I forced him to eat it so it wouldn't get cold. After that the POS went down and we had to wait for our check. By that point I just wanted to leave. Our waitress was very timid and unsure of her stations throughout the dinning room. Waiting and waiting we finally had to ask for our check again from the hostess. Finally I went out to wait in the car or I would have said something nasty to the manager.

My boyfriend took me there for my birthday as we wanted to try somewhere new, but ultimately this was a dismal dinning experience. I will not be back and certainly wouldn't recommend S@mple to my friends.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

S@mple is very sheik and modern with a wide variety of plates (small and large) to try. I've had a variety of dishes and they are all delicious. Adam the owner has done a phenomenal job with the renovations. What a great place to go for lunch or dinner if you are going to see a show at the Landmark Theater. It is also just across the street from VCU and does offer parking beside the restaurant. Love it!