“Impressive!”

and up
Richmond's Shockoe Bottom Segway Tour
Ranked #9 of 168 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded to educate the community about the tragedies of the Holocaust, the Virginia Holocaust Museum strives to memorialize and document the atrocities of World War II. Through exhibits, programming, and outreach, the Museum uses the history of genocide to teach the dangers of prejudice and indifference.
Modesto, California
“Impressive!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was awesome and very convenient. We couldn't find the time on our trip to go to Washington DC so we decided to try the Holocaust museum in Richmond! We were very impressed!

53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Unexpected part of Richmond history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I grew up in Richmond and never heard of any history of holocaust connection there. This museum near the Shockoe Slip /canal area was a find (I've been to such museums throughout Europe). It was informative and moving.

Franklin, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Most worthwhile museum. Plan to visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you are in the Richmond area, save the time to tour this museum. First, it's free. Second, it's family friendly and appropriate for all ages. Some of the images are horrific, so use your best judgment for younger children. Also, it took us about two hours to finish.

They accept donations, but it's clear their primary focus is education. The set up is easy. Walking in, you will pass and can go in a cattle car that has been shipped from Germany...and which was used to transport Jews. That is your first jarring moment of the day. The reception desk will give you a sticker and guide you to an optional film that sets up the museum. The film also ties the museum in by featuring several local Richmond residents and their experiences. As the number of survivors diminish, and in a time of nay-sayers and revisionists, their sense of urgency that this Holocaust not be forgotten is sorely felt. You can do an audio tour or a self-guided tour, and they will give you everything you need for either.
The museum is spacious and well thought out. Even though there were many visiting, we never felt rushed or crowded. Most of the displays we found educational and fascinating. I had not realized how much time Jewish people spent in displacement camps, nor had I realized the savagery of other countries besides Germany.
One of the things we loved was the unique photos. We are used to seeing some of the same images over and over again in history books. These weren't any I had seen before. Also, the exhibit of drawings by children who had been in the camps was mesmerizing. That such creativity existed is astounding.
One of the more difficult exhibits is an underground "hole" that re-creates a space in which one Jewish family hid. You can view it from a window, but you can also" crawl" through the hole and experience the darkness.--and imagine what it must have been to endure months under the earth. It's, perhaps, the most chilling of the exhibits. I don't recommend it for very small children, for the claustrophobic, for those afraid of the dark, or those with physical difficulties.

Our least favorite exhibit was the trial room. There are tapes. We watched some of the worst war criminals stand right up in the face of history and claim innocence. Astounding. But the amount of space devoted to the mock trial room could have, we thought, been used for other things.
One of the exhibits that most affected me was the "weeks' rations" on which a person was to subsist. Most of us eat more than that in a single setting. Incredible.
On your way out, there is a small gift shop for those who want a souvenir or who wish to make a tax-deductible donation.
Mind you, I've been to both Dachau and Auschwitz, and I initially thought that this museum might pale in comparison. I was wrong. While not "on site" of one of the camps, it does an incredible job of bringing those camps to life right here.
Finally, if you do bring children, be mindful. We were astounded at 3 young teens who were laughing and running and otherwise behaving inappropriately--no adult supervision in site. We'd like to think this was a rare incident and that, otherwise, people show the proper respect. You are not likely to forget it anytime soon. You can visit their website at http://www.va-holocaust.com/

2 Thank washnahi
Windham, Connecticut, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“An experience like no other”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My daughter(13) is very into WWII and the Holocaust So on our return trip home from vacation I figured we could stop and check it out! I'm glad we did. I wasn't sure how our 11 yr old was going to handle it so I did some research before confirming this stop. Both my girls were fasinated with the mini movie they show to start you off (gives it a personal touch,hearing from some of the survivors living in Richmond) My family was impressed by all the displays and the attention to detail. Though my girls were shocked and saddened by some of the images, It was important to answer their questions as we went along.We spent almost 2 hours there that day and every minute was well worth it. Teaching our kids about this kind of history may help to prevent this from ever happening again.......bringing them here really opened up the conversation that even I as a parent didn't have all the right answers for. So if your're ever in the Richmond area , this is a MUST GO TO STOP!!!! ( It's free and so is the parking, so there is no excuse) It's an experience like no other!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kellie P
Annapolis, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“moving experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

this museum is free. has ample free parking right in front of the front door. it is a pretty dreary subject, and the horror is driven in by the matter of fact descriptions from Richmond residents who were interred in the camps. definitely get the ear phone guided tour

Visited March 2014