“The food was Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

HogsHead Cafe
Ranked #8 of 1,579 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Barbecue, American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“The food was Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We read an article about it in the newspaper and decided to try it and we really enjoyed it. We had the Hog Dog and it was an hotdog wrapped in bacon and deep fried and then topped with pulled pork. I also had the corn pudding and it was wonderful. My friend had the home made chips and they were great as well. It's a small restaurant but worth the trip...but make sure you're hungry.

1 Thank linda21548

Hopewell Va
“Wonderful Hotdog”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I saw a write up about this Cafe in the Richmond newspaper. It was Rated 3&1/2 stars for its Hot Dog & its Bar-B-Q . I got the the Hotdog wraped in bacon, deep fried ,Covered in pulled pork Bar B Q & toped with cole slaw. This was all put in a wonderful bun, Its a small place but the service is great. All the staff make you feel welcome. My friend ordered the Bat-B-Q sandwhich & said it was the best she had eaten in a long time. We will go back.

• Visited February 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Come Early - Leave Full”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

The barbeque is great, the sides are tasty, the service is friendly and quick - but get there early for lunch. When the Hogshead opened last year it was a great little secret for those of us who saw their sign on Broad St. in the West End, but alas, the word is out and since the seating is limited get there before noon if you can to avoid the wait. Since I'm a creature of habit I get the same thing pretty much all the time, the pulled pork plate with sweet potato fries and greens, along with a cup of slaw for the BBQ. The portions are generous. The BBQ has a mild smokey flavor and there are two types of sauce at the table - one is North Carolina vinegar-based and the other traditional tomato-based. My colleagues and I have never had a bad meal at the Hogshead - I just hope they're able to expand their seating.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ErasmusNA27
“Hog Heaven...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This is not going to be good for your cholesterol, but who cares...it tastes fantastic. The Hogshead Cafe, tucked behind the only remaining Blockbuster in the western world (at least in Richmond) is a real find. They don't just do barbecue, they enhance other entrees with it, and as it is good enough to stand on its own, it makes a meal into an event. I had the Hog Burger, a fresh angus patty covered with cheese, bacon, onion rings, cole slaw, and their pulled pork, and not just a sprinkle, enough for an entirely separate sandwich. All I have to say is, don't knock it til you've tried it. I'm going back for the Hog dog, wrapped in bacon, deep fried, and also covered in pork, cole slaw, and BBQ sauce, as well as the shrimp po'boy. The food is made to order, so it takes a bit longer, but it is totally worth the wait. Since they had a good review in the local paper, they've been busy, so go off peak or be prepared to wait, but go hungry and you will be glad you waited! If you can't wait for a Hog Dog, I suggest take-out! Don't worry, bacon still works a half hour later!

1 Thank Marcngin
“We will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

This little gem is great. The food is very good. I've been twice, once for lunch with Husband(had the oyster po boy, excellent)and once with the "ladies"(had the oyster dinner). I love oysters and they cook them whole, not cut up in bits like so many other places that offer fried oysters. Their Sweet Potato fries(with the special dippin' sauce) are the best I've ever had. My friends got BBQ and one of them had the Ribs on another visit there. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We will be going back for more meals at the Hogs Head Cafe.

• Visited December 2011