“Best Brisket we ever tasted.”
Review of HogsHead Cafe

HogsHead Cafe
Ranked #7 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Franklin, Tennessee
“Best Brisket we ever tasted.”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We have family in Texas that cannot cook brisket as good as this. Melt in your mouth. Fresh vegetables and oysters. Their BBQ is good, and great hot dogs. A new favorite.

Richmond, Virginia
“Can't pick 1 fave”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

There are too many delish items on the menu here. I have only been twice and the first time I went I had the pulled pork and ribs which were amazing. The second time I swore I would try the fried oyster tacos. But I caved and had the pulled pork again. Couldn't get enough with the hog BBQ sauce. The baked beans were rich and sweet with bacon bits. The loaded potato salad was like a loaded baked potato with cheese, sour cream and bacon. Baked apples were super warm and sweet. Hush puppies were crunchy spicy and sweet all at the same time. Sweet potato fries come with a super thick and creamy maple dipping sauce. They are known for their house made limeade too. They have a nice but small wine, beer and liquor selection. The servers are friendly and helpful. Can't wAit to go back and try more.

1 Thank RVARAKSM
Gloucester, Virginia
“Super Spot”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Hogs Head is a bit tucked away and hard to spot for a 1st timer but it's in the GPS now! It's a small hole in the wall with maybe 10 tables and a small bar. Just what I like. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the sweet potato fries. The fries came with a maple sugar dipping sauce. Awesome. My wife had the Ruben which was huge. She pronounced it excellent. When they ask if you want a large beer or a small 1, be aware that a large is a quart mason jar. Being used to the normal 22 ozers, it was a bit of a surprise but not 1 to turn down!! All prices were quite reasonable and the server was excellent. We'll be back.

Richmond, VA
“HogsHead Cafe lives up to the hype!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

On a whim, we passed the kids off to the grandparents and headed off to have dinner at the HogsHead. What a delicious experience. It was packed at 7:00 on a Saturday night, but we put our names in (will definitely call ahead next time) and hung out out front. We were offered seats at the bar to cut our wait short and we gladly took them. It was fun to watch the folks in the kitchen and all the servers coming back and forth. Everyone was super-friendly, especially, our server and bartender extraordinaire, Jennifer. You can tell she enjoys what she is doing (or else she fakes it REALLY well lol). She knew her regulars and made an effort to make the new folks like us feel at home.

Fried green tomatoes...awesome. Crispy, perfectly seasoned with that great little green tomato tanginess. My favorite part of the meal. We then shared a bowl of the lobster bisque, which was good, as good as many I have had in really good coastal seafood places. Husband got a shrimp po boy and man was that thing piled sky-high with shrimp! He raved about it. I had the pulled pork sandwich, which was good, not greasy, not fatty...just solid good pulled pork. If anything there was too much on the sandwich and it ended falling apart and making a mess, but I was satisfied.
We didn't leave any room for dessert this time, but we will rectify that problem next time. There WILL be a next time...and many more after that!

1 Thank YankeeMomInVA
Columbia, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Pulled Pork sandwich”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Had the pulled pork sandwich for lunch and it was large & very tasty.Pork was succulent and the cold slaw was fine too.Got the hush puppies as a side and they were exceptional as well.Friendly service that was very appreciative of you visiting their restaurant.