“Great Food - Lovely Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Magpie - CLOSED

Magpie
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norton
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Great Food - Lovely Atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I shared a meal here with two close friends. We started with specialty drinks which were awesome and then had a great appetizer followed by delicious meals. The staff are polite, kind, skillful. The food is amazing. It's a tiny place full of atmosphere. Reservations required if you don't want to wait. Highly recommend!

• Visited January 2014

“Don't let the menus' quirks dissuade a visit.”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

At first glance the eclectic menu could give you second thoughts (beef tongue cassoulet for ex.), glad we stayed. Exceptional meal in a relaxed setting. Smoked steak a standout. Nice folks run it and they make a mean Cosmo to boot.

• Visited March 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“The Magpie is an absolute pleasure, start to finish!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I have dined at the Magpie twice, and both times, we've enjoyed both fantastic food and exceptional service. On our most recent visit a few days ago, our server greeted us immediately and seated us at a window table away from most of the other diners, which was exactly what we wanted (it's a small place, so it can be difficult to get some separation from others). She went over the entire menu with us, explaining some changes since it had been printed. Most importantly for me, when I asked about gluten-free options, our server was very knowledgeable and didn't have to go check with anyone else--she explained that they try to make as much of their menu gluten-free as possible, and avoid "hidden gluten" in the ingredients they use. It ended up that the only items that I couldn't eat were fairly obvious to me based on the descriptions, and there were only a couple of them--even those could have been prepared gluten-free if I'd wanted them, so that was wonderful.

We ended up ordering a brussels sprouts appetizer--they were fried (no batter), with vincotto and a light dusting of Gruyere, and they were fabulous. So good, I could have eaten them for dessert, honestly. My husband doesn't even really like brussels sprouts, but he enjoyed these. For entrees, my husband ordered the hanger steak, and I had a pan-seared rockfish with fingerling potatoes, cipollini onions, and a buttermilk-horseradish sauce. The portions were perfect (just enough to fill us up), and everything was bursting with layers of flavor that harmonized perfectly.

On our most recent visit, we skipped dessert, but we did have an ice cream dessert on a prior visit and it was wonderful, a worthy finish to the meal.

Overall, we love this place. Both times we've been, we've used a Groupon, but I think we need to make the Magpie a regular stop--even at full price, it's a great value for the money. Reservations are highly, highly recommended, as it is a very small establishment and fills up quickly (we had reservations at 5:30, and the restaurant was essentially full by 6:30).

• Visited March 2014
Pittsburgh
“One of my favorite in Richmond”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The food was great.soup, sausage, appetizers. All great. The chocolate shortbread bone marrow desert was terrible. It was too so hard I could barely eat it and had a salty sour taste. But that forgave that because everything else was very good. The service was prompt and friendly. The atmosphere was very cool. I ate some things I had never tried beforem .

• Visited February 2014
“Great find”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

A friend recommended this place. It is off the beaten path which is nice, but still close enough to things. Got there at 7:00 and was glad we had reservations. We looked over the wine list while our table was cleared. Eclectic menu with daily specials. Liz got the grilled scallops and I got the seared venison. They also had two rabbit dishes as specials. Service was good. Timely and informative. Cozy atmosphere with quite a few having dinner at the bar. Definitely recommend the place.

Visited February 2014