“A little past its prime..”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South
Ranked #61 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“A little past its prime..”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I usually have consistently good experiences with this chain. However, this property was a disappointment, essentially because the hotel is in need of refurbishing. Let me provide examples of why I say this. The outside of the door to my room was badly scratched (big horizontal gouges in the paint in both the upper and the lower door panels). There was an upholstered easy chair in my room - with a big stain in the afbric of the seat cushion. There was mildew in the shower (where the wallls meet the tub). The tile and wall board on the outside of the tub obviously had suffered water damage, and had been very unprofessionally repaired, The grout on the bathroom floor was absolutely black in most areas (but not all). The air coming out of the A/C unit smelled so badly of mildew that I had to shut it off. On the plus side, the Staff were professional and helpful, the property is right off the Exit from I-95, and the complimentary breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is as far as possible away from the ice machine - it is in the hallway (at least...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank CLT-Homebase
cx_rhmd, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We are working diligently to improve the high speed internet service in our hotel. I understand that this is an important amenity for our guests, and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you.

We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Typical Country Inn hotel. comfortable, clean room and bathroom. Decent breakfast. Great service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was a VERY pleasant experience. The room was very clean, with everything in working order. From the front desk staff to housekeeping, everyone was very polite and personable, greeting me with a smile. The breakfast was very good and extensive for a complementary meal. There were always fresh baked cookies available at the front desk, the business center had fast computers with free printing, and there was free wifi everywhere.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Doylestown
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We spent one night here on our way to NC. Our room was not clean......louvered closet door had chunks of dust on it, something was splashed on the full length mirror and front of the refrigerator, there was crumpled up paper and sunflower seed shells shoved under the sofa. The cushion on the chair was stained on one side and had a hole in the other side. The sofa fabric was ripped and soiled. The furniture looked like it had been recovered from a junk yard. The one positive is that the bed linens were clean.....although the top sheet was thread bare. We mentioned all of the above at check out and the response was "oh, I will have the supervisor check it." Oh, by the way, this was an "upgraded room" according to the desk clerk!

Room Tip: Just avoid this place!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grace M
Whiting, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We were given a suite for the single room roomsaver.com coupon. The room was gracious. The king sized bed was comfortable and the room had been recently renovated. The free breakfast was adequate, but not bountiful. I would suggest adding a microwave at the breakfast. We would return to this hotel since it is on the route 95 passage to Florida.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2joy
North Jersey
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We stayed here on our way down to South Carolina. We were looking for a relatively inexpensive, clean hotel to stay at that had no issues with us checking in late at night. We arrived at 1:30am and the hotel staff were very accommodating. We had two rooms and the key didn't work for one but they quickly put us into another room.

Overall the rooms were relatively clean. It was nicer than I expected it to be. The bathroom had a little mold in the shower but not enough to make us not use it. The hotel offered a free breakfast and it was standard breakfast food (waffles, eggs, sausage, toast/bagels, oatmeal, and coffee).

The hotel is right off 95 so it was easy on/off and perfect for the price that we paid (I think $66 a night). My only complaint would be mushy pillows. My husband loves soft pillows and I prefer the firm ones so it worked out nicely for him.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SweetCatastrophe
Martinsburg, WV
Reviewed 24 October 2011

While traveling with some friends, we booked two rooms for about $60-70/each. The lobby was clean and staff was......okay. My room was fine, nothing fancy, not the cleanest, but I wasn't expecting a 4 star hotel. Friends ended up requesting a room change because theirs smelled like smoke. Breakfast in the morning was fine by me. Again, nothing extravagant, but pretty good. I rate it as average because that's what it is. I wasn't paying over $100/night, so I wasn't expecting that kind of experience. All in all, I felt like we got what we paid for. If you want a 4 star hotel, go somewhere else and pay $150/night. If you want a decent place to sleep with breakfast in the morning, this hotel will do. Finally, conveniently located right off I-95.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank scottmpd28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#64 of 82 in Richmond
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South? Share your experiences!