“no refund for checking out early!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South
Ranked #61 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“no refund for checking out early!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I booked and pre paid for 2 nights. My husband and I stayed the first night, and decided we would not be staying the 2nd night. We checked out early (by 9am) the next morning. I informed the desk clerk we weren't staying the 2nd night and that I was checking out and would like a recipt and a refund to my credit card for the 2nd night. she told me they couldn't give me a receipt (?) and they would not refund me for 2nd night cancellation. The manager told me i'd have to get a refund from the on line booking agent "travelnow" whom i had pre-booked & paid. I called travelnow while standing at the front desk and they said they would happiily refund me, all they had to do is call the hotel manger and get his approval. As I stood near the hotel desk on my cell phone witnessing the back and forth between the agent and the hotel pointing the responsibility to each other as to why i couldn't get a refund. In fact - the manager lied - he could have authorized the refund he just didn't want to. I just wanted a logical explanation for his reason to not refund us for a service we did not use. After all, I already patronized his hotel for one night. The manager didn't want to talk to me or my husband anymore, so he simply walked out of the lobby door, got in is car, and drove off!!! What a coward. After further investigation, the Travelnow site states in big bold wording "NO CHARGE OR CANCELLATION FEE" but as i continued reading within the NO cancellation fee statement it says "this hotel can refuse cancellation refunds". that's a big contradition and very misleading statement. travelnow is very misleading and so is this hotel. they are both ripping off consumers with no recourse. i'm disputing this charge with my credit card. i am contacting carlson headquarters - this hotel should be banished from using the carlson name.

Room Tip: don't use this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank 190marcys
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear 190Marcys,

We appreciate your feedback regarding this recent stay. This type of feedback will be shared with our management so we can ensure these types of situations do not happen again. Thank you for providing this information for us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ontario
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here en route to somewhere else. It's very close to the hwy and easy to get too.

The room was pretty average - nice though. Clean and comfortable. We didn't require much so I can't comment much on the staff. Check in and check out was very straight forward and the front desk person was friendly. We had a good sleep, it was quiet.

We paid about $100 via Expedia - so with free parking, wifi and breakfast it's a good deal if you are just driving though. The breakfast was the usual free breakfast. I can't complain since it was free, my kid got fruit loops and was happy - I had coffee and was happy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sailor77
Summerside, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had the opportunity to stay here on two occasions in January 12 this was a very compfortable hotel to stop at. One year later, the towels were shredding, the sheets were completely worn thin and the complete door lock system was missing causing our door to not close properly.. Thinking that this chain of hotels were on the upper side, we were mistaken..this is our last stay with Country Inns.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PatskiMontreal
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Dear PatskiMontreal,

We sincerely apologize for your experience that you had with this property. We appreciate you bringing that fact that some of our towels and bedding need to be replaced in that room and also the problems you had with your door. We have passed this along with our management team and will look into this at once. If you are ever in the area again we hope you will try us again so you can see the difference your opinions make.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Conveniently located off of I95, we stopped late at night and checked a couple before settling on this hotel. While we were parked out front, another car pulled up behind us out of view of the door and sat there for a few minutes before a young woman (girl) jumped out and ran around the back of the hotel. The back doors are locked for security, so she would have had to have someone waiting to let her in. It looked suspicious. Later in our room, around 1am, the room next to us had their TV on loud enough for us to watch. After calling the front desk and being told we'd have to wait since she was with a customer, we waited ten more minutes before the room quieted, only to then have loud whistling and sounds of amorous(?) endeavors being broadcast loudly for all to hear. We finally called the front desk again and were moved to the front end of the hotel where it was quiet. We had two dogs with us and they could not settle with all that noise plus the noise from the parking lot. The free breakfast the next morning was good, but this hotel needed security to deal with the noise and possible illegal activity going on. Probably would look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near where you park for security reasons.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bill A
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Started off on the wrong foot. Attempted to call the hotel to be sure that we were heading in the right direction but no one at the hotel answered for a solid 5 minutes. When we arrived 2 hotel employees were out front of the hotel taking a smoke break. No wonder our call didn't get answered. Room was dated and a little dusty. Pillows and beds were fine. Breakfast was the only saving grace. Food was complimentary and quite good. Staff in the morning was much better especially a woman who told me she had only been working there a week. She was terrific. I will choose to stay somewhere else next time

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Punkadunky
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Good location off I-95, that's it! This area is not the best stop off the highway. Lighting on parking lot is strong and it was good to be able to see my car parked, because the area was questionable.

The hotel seems okay on the exterior, but when you walk in, it looks unloved, and worn out. The front desk staff seems exhausted to see you. The young girl in her early 20s was leaning over the desk while she typed our information as she checked us in. She lack any enthusiasm at all. Which made me wonder what kind of a location did I pick? No cookies await that for sure. No water either.

The room smells, the lighting is poor, and the window air-conditioning unit smells. The best part was the ability to open the windows and get fresh air. The bathroom door wood had been splintered and reinforced with screws into the actual door. The tissue holder on the granite was cut but no holder ever installed. The rooms look unkempt, old, and dingy.

The bed was lumpy and the crowd hanging around the hallways were unnerving. Glad it was only one night and never again. Do not recommend this location for women! In the morning as we exited observed male individual checking cleaning inventory who traveled with us in the elevator and he never even said good morning - no manners, after I said good morning. Sad site.

Room Tip: Choose another stop
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scbleo
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We apologize your stay did not meet your expectations. We have shared your feedback with our management in an effort to make the improvements needed. We hope that if you are ever in the area again you will give us another opportunity.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed here 4th of July week for one night. on a 100+ degree day you would think that the AC would have at least been running before we arrived...nope. Otherwise, the staff was friendly whenever you saw them.

The room was fairly clean. The bathroom sink was held up by a piece of wood.

The positives about this hotel is that it's tucked away so it's quiet, and it wasn't expensive at all...that's about it.

If you're looking to save a little cash, I might stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RussRexRey
cx_rhmd, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. We are working diligently to improve the high speed internet service in our hotel. I understand that this is an important amenity for our guests, and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you.

We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that upon your next visit we can exceed your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#64 of 82 in Richmond
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South? Share your experiences!