“Fine Place to Stay on the Road”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South
Ranked #57 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Clean and comfortable. Good pillows and bed, which is MOST important to me. Carpet and bathroom were clean. Bathroom was large, the towels were thick, and amenities more than we needed. We got an excellent price, and would have paid more. The man at the desk when we arrived was very welcoming and referred us to a wonderful historic restaurant that we would never have found on our own. My husband and I would stay again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel at short notice for one nights Excellent room, clean fresh and quiet. Breakfast was also excellent and varied. The hotel staff are friendly, knowledgeable and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is varied and food levels high with much fresh fruit. It was a very warm day / night and the air conditioning on the second floor was not switched on making the floor very hot yet the room was cool but had an old type manual in room air-conditioner.
The stay was good and recommend. Close to the Interstate highway. Must say the hotel also owns and runs the adjacent gas station. I have never seen pumps and a filling area so clean with hand sanitizers at each pump - well done.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights. The room was extremely well appointed. Plugs everywhere for electronics. Great tv. Big bathroom. Even a good breakfast with actual china and silverware except on the holiday weekend when the breakfast was chaos.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel was average but clean. The service was ok but could have been more friendly, no smiles or pleasantries.

Needed a taxi and they called a smelly guy with a dirty car, hum.

It was odd that they had cats running around outside the front door of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed one night as walk-ins in the Richmond area. We chose this location due to the price in a hotel coupon book, as well as knowing the quality of the chain. We weren't disappointed.

The desk clerk at our walk-in 10pm check-in was very friendly and patient, even though she had problems looking up my Carlson rewards membership number and then entering the coupon.

The room, bathroom and towels were clean and of decent quality. We happened to park just outside our room's window on the first floor, but we never felt that safety or security was an issue. The only thing that caused my eyebrows to raise was finding out the back door was broken and we would not be able to use it as an entrance during our stay. The clerk said that it was going to be fixed in the next day or so.

The decor did seem a shade dated, but when they bill themselves as "country", that by definition is a dated look.

We weren't too far from the ice machine and never noticed a problem with hall noise.

Our biggest problem was that the mattress stands/frames had extremely sharp edges. Our 3yo was playing on the floor and cut his head on the metal edge. It was quite a nasty cut and we did notify the staff the next morning (it bled so much we though we might have to take him to ER, but it stopped after a few minutes of pressure)

The breakfast was of good quality, variety and mostly plentiful. We did have to ask for certain items to be refilled (yogurt and milk) and the dishes weren't cleared away from the tubs provided and were full.

Wifi speed was adequate (email and Facebook). We did have to call the front desk and ask for the password though.

We would be willing to stay again, esp. using that coupon and would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Get a coupon from a rest area for a steal of a deal on the room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I booked and pre paid for 2 nights. My husband and I stayed the first night, and decided we would not be staying the 2nd night. We checked out early (by 9am) the next morning. I informed the desk clerk we weren't staying the 2nd night and that I was checking out and would like a recipt and a refund to my credit card for the 2nd night. she told me they couldn't give me a receipt (?) and they would not refund me for 2nd night cancellation. The manager told me i'd have to get a refund from the on line booking agent "travelnow" whom i had pre-booked & paid. I called travelnow while standing at the front desk and they said they would happiily refund me, all they had to do is call the hotel manger and get his approval. As I stood near the hotel desk on my cell phone witnessing the back and forth between the agent and the hotel pointing the responsibility to each other as to why i couldn't get a refund. In fact - the manager lied - he could have authorized the refund he just didn't want to. I just wanted a logical explanation for his reason to not refund us for a service we did not use. After all, I already patronized his hotel for one night. The manager didn't want to talk to me or my husband anymore, so he simply walked out of the lobby door, got in is car, and drove off!!! What a coward. After further investigation, the Travelnow site states in big bold wording "NO CHARGE OR CANCELLATION FEE" but as i continued reading within the NO cancellation fee statement it says "this hotel can refuse cancellation refunds". that's a big contradition and very misleading statement. travelnow is very misleading and so is this hotel. they are both ripping off consumers with no recourse. i'm disputing this charge with my credit card. i am contacting carlson headquarters - this hotel should be banished from using the carlson name.

Room Tip: don't use this hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 190marcys
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2013

Dear 190Marcys,

We appreciate your feedback regarding this recent stay. This type of feedback will be shared with our management so we can ensure these types of situations do not happen again. Thank you for providing this information for us.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here en route to somewhere else. It's very close to the hwy and easy to get too.

The room was pretty average - nice though. Clean and comfortable. We didn't require much so I can't comment much on the staff. Check in and check out was very straight forward and the front desk person was friendly. We had a good sleep, it was quiet.

We paid about $100 via Expedia - so with free parking, wifi and breakfast it's a good deal if you are just driving though. The breakfast was the usual free breakfast. I can't complain since it was free, my kid got fruit loops and was happy - I had coffee and was happy.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sailor77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
La Quinta Inn Richmond South
Candlewood Suites Richmond-South
Red Roof Inn - Richmond South
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#63 of 82 in Richmond
Country Inn & Suites Chester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond West at I-64

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Richmond I-95 South? Share your experiences!