“Very acceptable hotel in good downtown position”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We had an exceptionally large room here with a king bed. The room was clean and comfortable and is a few blocks from the centre. We walked to the centre via the WWII memorial and the canal walk. In the evening we the area is very quite so we preferred to use the car to visit restaurants. The complementary breakfast is very good indeed and there is free parking in the underground garage. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobetrotterSurrey
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your visit. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Express Start Hot Breakfast. The hotel is centrally located to many attractions in area and a short walk to the dining district. We hope to have you as our guest on future visits to Richmond, Again, thank You

Reviewed 24 September 2011

I stayed one night at this hotel. While it is pretty typical HI Express, the front entrance is quite odd. One must climb a long flight of stone steps from the street to the entrance/lobby level. (see hotel photos) As I left the hotel in the rain, the steps were very slippery and I fell head over heels down to the sidewalk. Luckily I only sustained bruised elbow, wrist, leg, and a sprained ankle. It could have been MUCH worse. The way the steps and lobby are situated, no one from the hotel even noticed my fall. A delivery person and my taxi driver were on hand to offer assistance. I could not even return to the hotel to report the incident without re-climbing those steps. If you stay here be extremely careful. I suggest you take the elevator to the hotel parking garage level and have a taxi meet you there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

I am so sorry to hear that you had a fall on our front steps. I really wish you would have let us known when it happened. With our hotel being a converted bank building, you are correct, the front entrance steps and entering thru the parking garage are your two options. Again, thank you for letting me know of the incident. We hope to have you back as our guest on any future visits to Richmond.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed here on the way back from a week vacation in Nags Head. The hotel was nice and check in was quick and easy. My husband & I reserved a one bedroom suite for us and we used reward points for a second room for our son. Our room was large, bed was comfortable. There was a living room area with a sofa, whirlpool tub, small refrigerator, microwave & coffee maker. Our son's room was small to average. He said he had trouble sleeping because of the noise. Our room was very quiet.
The breakfast was nice and there was plenty to choose from. We had eggs, sausages, toast, coffee, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc.
The biggest problem we had was the free shuttle was not running that weekend (Labor Day weekend). So to get anywhere we either had to walk or take a cab. We decided to walk to a restaurant that we thought was close, but it was a longer walk than we thought. The hotel is a distance from Shockoe Slip and downtown, so restaurants and bars within the neighborhood are limited. It would have been nice to have had the shuttle available to take us places.
We had two minor problems with the room. One is the hotel is older and is showing signs of wear and tear. The towel bar in the bathroom fell off and hit me in the head. The second problem is I had trouble accessing the internet in our room.
Would we stay here again if we are in the Richmond area? Probably not.

Room Tip: We thought the one bedroom suite was well worth the money.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us. I am glad to hear that your enjoyed our Express Start Breakfast.I am sorry that our shuttle times did not work for you. We do not opperate the shuttle durign the weekends. I did review our records and saw that you had reported the towel bar, (which was repalced that afternoon) . I sincerely wish to have the opportunity to be of service on your next visit to Richmond. Again, thank you for your comments

Reviewed 7 September 2011

Trying to be as fair as possible here, since the one night we stayed here was during a hurricane. Power was lost early in the stay. That was rather frustrating when every other hotel in town still had power. But I will confine my evaluation to the experience I had WITH power.

The property is an older one that has been updated for the HI Express. Lobby areas are rather large, and could have been furnished with more and more up to date furniture.

We had gotten a whirlpool suite. The furniture doesn’t quite fill the considerable space in the suite. They could easily add either a larger desk area, or a small dinette. The two TVs were large, new, and nice. The room was very clean, including the bathroom. Plenty of towels were provided. I can’t comment on the shower or whirlpool since we didn’t get to use them. The air conditioning is wall units, and seemed to work well while the power held out. Wireless internet was typical: easy to access, moderate to somewhat slow.

I also can’t really comment on the continental breakfast. With the power issues, they could only put out the basics like juice and donuts.

I think had we had power, we might have enjoyed the stay. The room was only slightly less expensive than the other rooms I priced for that night. But unless I were getting the very large suite, I would opt for another property in the downtown area.

My biggest concern is a glaring security problem they have. I don’t want to elaborate on it here, for fear it would quite literally give someone an idea. But suffice to say, it is worrisome enough that I would probably not stay here unless it were my only choice in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank slovaktoo

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on your recent visit to Richmond. Hurricane Irene did cause some problems for the area. The hotel did not get power restored until Tuesday of he following week. We appreciate your understanding during your stay. We would love for you to visit Richmond again, and we will be pleased to get you back in the Whirlpool suite ,and we will take care of your charges for the night.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed one night as we were passing through Richmond and were pleased with our room. We were able to get a room with two double beds with living room suite that had a fold-out sofa, perfect for parents and two school age children. The room was neat and clean, quite spacious, and housekeeping was gracious and helpful. The fellow at the front desk was super friendly and accommodating. Hotel is well-situated for walking in downtown Richmond, and the parking garage was convenient and safe. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank pamelapancakes

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that your family had a good visit to Richmond. The Suite you were in is a great value for the family traveling to Richmond. We hope to have you as our guest on your future visits to Richmond.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed one night at the Holiday Inn downtwon. This was a very nice hotel close to many of the attractions. Hotel was either new, or had been reconditioned. Very nice condition. Breakfast was great. We walked to the Virginia Capital and canal area. Hollywood cemetary too which had two US Presidents and Jefferson davis grave sites. If you are going to be in Richmond this hotel is in a great location and the service was wonderful. Great staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gnerg

Thank you for taking time to let us know of your stay with us. We appreciate the positive comments and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to have you as our guest on your future visits to Richmond.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

We were in town for a convention, the hotel location is nice, it was quiet, check in and out was hassle free. Our room was very clean and a/c was VERY GOOD! Although it is on E Cary Street and not as close to the historic area, you can walk there (or take a cab or shuttle) it is a pleasant walk there and back if you are in moderate to good shape and wear good shoes, we walked there all days of the 5 we stayed in Richmond. The free continental breakfast was nice, fresh and room was clean. All of our housekeepers were great, each room has its own fridg, micro and coffee maker. Parking is nice and off street and protected and easy to access. It is not "fancy" like Jefferson or Omni, but a very good value and updated and clean. I would stay there again. Our parking fee was included, but even if you pay I think it is a small fee...you would have to double check that.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky W
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your experience in your survey. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. Yes, the good shoes are required in Downtown (there are quite a few hills in the city if your opt to walk.) We hope to have you as our guests on future visits to Richmond, Va. Again, thank you.