“Mixed feelings”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The hotel itself is fine, clean and comfortable and a decent breakfast was included. We had no problem finding a space in the underground garage ($10 a night extra). However the location was very much a mixed blessing. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and found the streets absolutely deserted. Next day wasn't much better and although the museums etc were within walking distance, we didn't feel comfortable walking in this area at all. Fortunately there was a restaurant on the corner of the block so no need to venture far at night. One niggle I have with HIE is they won't give you Priority Club points if you have pre-booked through an agent. I mentioned this to the receptionist and she gave me a small bottle of water to compensate!!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear sicarius1,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, VA. It is regrettable the Priority Club points were not credited to your account during your stay. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Wow, was this place a different experience. I arrive to the hotel and try to park, but my truck will not fit in the parking garage, (it was too tall). So I have to park out on the street, which means I have to get up at 5 am to move my truck so it doesn't get towed.

But back to the hotel. I get checked in, and the front desk person gives me a room on the 4th or 5th floor. Not telling me that the elevator is broken. So now I have to lug my suitcase and laptop bag up to the 5th floor. (Thanks for the exercise)

Overall, rooms were clean, I didn't like being forced to get up that early, but what do you do?

Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CurryRussell
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Dear 911TechWV,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked you room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual conditions of our parking lot and elevator caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B

Reviewed 2 June 2012

This was one of the most disgusting travelling experiences I have had. Not only was the housekeeping appalling but prostitutes were banging on our door at 3am in the morning. The place was chosen randomnly based on reviews but absolutely nothing was done about our complaints. It is filthy, the vending machines don't work and you do not get repaid for the lost money. DO NOT GO THERE.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Samantha W,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, VA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Bon V.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We've stayed here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. Very comfortable, spacious, and well appointed rooms - comfortable bed and pillows, great breakfast in the morning, convenient location, very helpful and courteous staff. Allowed us to check in early. If they could improve one thing it would be the quality of the coffee in the room - very weak!

Room Tip: Corner suites are very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Thank you for your compliments from your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you always find our hotel to meet your travel needs. We pride ourselves on providing you a clean comfortable and well maintained place to stay, with excellent service. I will talk with our coffee supplier on the "weak" coffee you brew in your room. I had not heard this before, but will surely look into it. We hope to have you as our guest on your next visit to Richmond. Again, thank you for your time and comments

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Just spent a few nights in this hotel 2 weeks ago. What a lovely change to stay in a quiet hotel (instead of people slamming doors all night in the many hotels I've stayed in around the world). The complimentary breakfast was good,fair enough continental but it was good quality and hot and included in the room rate,very rare for the U.S. Reception staff were very helpful also. Room was of a good standard,clean and comfy bed. Great views from my 10th floor room. I requested a top floor room and away from the lift and my request was fulfilled. Well done to the hotel. Easily a 9 out of 10.

Room Tip: As mentioned above,I requested a top floor room away from the lift(elevator),good views of the city.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank kelse1990

Thank you for your review and compliments from your stay earlier this month. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. I am glad you found your room to be clean and comfortable. You had one of our Executive King rooms, that do offer great views of the city. We hope to have you as our guest on your next visit to Richmond. Again, thank you for your time and comments.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel is a great bargain for he price. Directly downtown is hard to find for under a hundred bucks in a weekend and this place clocked in at 90 bucks on a Friday night. Super comfy beds. And I got the corner room on the top floor so great view of downtown put of windows facing two directions. I went to a concert at the national (a great venue, by the way) and caught a cab back for 3.50. Can't beat that.
Only reason for 4 out of 5 stars is the parking fee. There is an additional $10 fee for parking your car at the hotel that you are already paying a hundred bucks just to lay your head. I understand charging people who are not staying a your hotel and just want to g downtown. But not if we are already paying your for a room.
Only qualm.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the top floor!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for taking time to share your visit with us from late March. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The corner rooms with the 3 windows do offer some great views of the city. Parking in Downtown Richmond is a premium. All hotels in the area do have a parking fee to ensure our guests have a space to park. (Street parking is so regulated and limited and confusing for non-local travelers). We hope you will be back to see us in the future. Give me a call and we will ensure you are back in your corner Executive Room. Again, thank you for your time and comments.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

The hotel has been recently renovated, new bedding, furniture, chairs, television, new plumbing fixtures etc. The rooms are all very nice. The staff was cordial and friendly. The problems are from the amenities that are offered or should I say not offered. First, the Holiday Inn Express website says there is a complementary shuttle within 2 miles of the hotel. It doesn’t say anything about not running on the weekends, or Monday thru Friday only during certain hours. When I wanted a ride it didn’t exist. Second, the breakfast was nice but during the 4 nights that I was there it changed only once and the juice bar and other items were not refilled when they ran out. Also their breakfast hours don’t change on the weekends. Closes up at 9:30am everyday. I have stayed at other HI Express lately and their breakfasts were much better run and open later on weekends. Third, the parking garage is gross. Garbage was there for the entire time of our stay and then they charge you $10.00 for the privilege. This property could be a real star with some easy fixes.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mikeythebe
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

mikeythebe,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J