“Best Holiday Inn Express Ever!”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #37 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I was looking into a program at VCU and needed a hotel close to the campus for one night. I looked at the Hilton Garden and Mariott and both were significantly more expensive and did not have a continental breakfast. I chose the Holiday Inn Express mainly due to the price ($100 for a weekend night), location (5 minutes from VCU and downtown area), and the free breakfast (quick and easy in the morning). I expected that it might be a little low on quality, but was beyond impressed. First of all, the beds had big, comfortable mattresses with white sheets! No polyester dirty crappy bedspread. They had two sets of firm and soft pillows which I appreciate. A nice flat screen tv in each room with HBO and showtime! The room had a microwave, mini fridge, coffee maker, and hairdryer. The bathroom was clean with a large mirror and good lighting for getting ready in the morning. The carpets were clean and not dingy looking or stuffy smelling. While I did not use the gym or the free wifi in the room, they were nice options to have. However, the BEST part of this hotel was the breakfast buffet. This was no continental breakfast. They had eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, cinnamon rolls, a pancake maker, hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, bagels, pastries and toast. They coffee was delicious. They had apple juice, orange juice, and milk. They even had a woman waiting on the tables clearing plates when you were finished and replenishing any food items that were running low. The only complaint I had was the parking garage was very small (6 foot ceilings) and they charged $10 to park in there (I guess this is normal for downtown Richmond, but it seemed a little steep to me). Other than the parking, this hotel was exceptional. It was a budget hotel with a Mariott feel. The staff were friendly and helpful. They stay was very pleasant. I jokingly said "do you have monthly rates?" while checking out. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you for all your kind words about our property. My staff try very hard and its so nice to see a response that commends their hard work and effort. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to rate our property. See you again real soon. Take care.
Mary Wells

Reviewed 18 November 2012

The front desk staff seemed uninterested at best. They would not accommodate our request for late check-out even though they could never have been full later that night.
The hotel rooms have a strange industrial and fake smell.
The manager needs to get his/her act together and put a sign on the front of the building to directly people to the parking lot - this is a joke - the lot in a garage under the building that is completely unmarked and no one would have know where to go. Obviously every new guest to the hotel must need to double park on a busy street and get out to go into the lobby and ask. The front desk person told us to look for the orange cone - which was no where to be seen.
The price was outrageous for a small town and unlike many cities that welcome people in for special events by offering an off season discount, this hotel just charged us more.
Being unwelcoming and overpriced is never the way to gain repeat business and help out a city that could obviously benefit enormously from having more visitors

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I was in your hotel in October 2nd....I loved everything about it. The Breakfast was great. The front desk always had a smile when i was in the lobby. Even the parking was great. I will never stay at another hotel again downtown richmond. You are my first and only choice. Next time i hope to get the jacuzzi tub in my room. I even got to Meet the GM Mary. She was the most kind person in the world. Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Billy A
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

It was a pleasure meeting you as well. As the General Manager I am pleased that we are your #1 selection for your Richmond downtown needs. Thank you for your kind response. Take care.

Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights 9/7 and 9/8 for the NASCAR race. We had stayed here a few years ago but our last few trips have tried other downtown hotels. Rooms are nice sized. This trip we booked a 2 room suite which was ENORMOUS. It hsd a jacuzzi tub which was great. My only complaint with the room is it was a non smoking room on a smoking floor. I had 2 rooms booked & requested them close by. I changed the other room to a smoking one and figured we would be on different floors but we were still on the same floor which seemed strange. Smoke smell was in our room also but used Febreeze and all was well. Parking is very reasonable compared with other downtown hotels. Can't really walk to any restaurants but that was ok. Staff is courteous and professional. My friend and I were complaining to each other about the weak coffee and now I read a previous post about it so I guess it wasn't just us.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank emsria75
Reviewed 9 September 2012

The hotel was functional...we needed a suite and it was large enough and comfortable. The toiletries were dollar store quality and breakfast was fair. I did appreciate the convenience-we could walk most anywhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Chroleary

I would like to thank you on behalf of Holiday Inn Express Downtown for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do want to apologize for the toiletries not meeting your standards however, they are our brand standard. I would hope when you travel to Richmond again you would make our hotel your first choice. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

We get into downtown Richmond after going through a .30 toll, we pull up to the poorly marked building trying figure out where the front desk was to check-in. My husband goes in and sees to associates at the desk, one of which was sitting on the check-in counter ... legs crossed eating a burger. Then we find out that we have to pay $10$10the a day to park in the 6ft only clearance garage. We had a pick-up truck ... so we had to park in the small near by outdoor parking lot. Then the room .... #405 ... we walk in and every drawer and door to the cabinets/tv stand were left open ... the bed was poorly made and the carpets smelled moldy. My husband was constantly sneezing so i pulled the filter on the AC and what do you know ... there was about 10 layers of dust on the filter. The bathroom was so small and the door swung in so you have to stand at the sink to close the door to go to the bathroom. The bathroom door hits the shower curtain rod ... which is why it is falling off the wall. The curtain is not wide enough and kept sliding leaving the sides open and water to get all over the already slippery tile on the floor. And lastly, the vent fan did not work in the bathroom, it made an irritating ringing noise. It was rusty and water collected on it and then dripped on the toilet seat soaking it. Oh and the toilet paper holder was also falling off the wall as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank QnzBeLLa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear QnzBeLLa,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations received.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We checked in on a Sunday evening in mid-July and it seemed like the whole was empty. The hotel isn't really close to many restaurants and the lower floor parking was empty and unsecured. Anyone from the street can walk into the parking area and get into the hotel via the elevator. There's no entrance where you can pull up and check-in. The hotel also lacks a pool, which is pretty standard at most HIE hotels. However, the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry H
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I'm truly pleased you liked you room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience the unusual conditions of our parking lot caused you. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.