“Nice hotel”

Ranked #35 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Charleroi, PA
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 25 September 2009

After reading the reviews for this hotel, I was very leary about staying here. My husband and I were driving to the hotel and we were not in the nicest part of town. I became very worried. But once we got to the hotel it was very nice and clean. The hotel is located in the middle of the college VCU. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. Helped w/ directions to a Pittsburgh bar that we wanted to go to watch the Steeler game. Also helped w/ directions to Richmond Raceway.
We had a king size room which had enough space to accommodate the both of us without any problems. The room was clean and the furnishings seemed rather new. It date state that it was remodeled in 2007. The breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon, biscuits, cereal, and of course their famous cinnamon rolls. We only had breakfast one day we were there, but that was to our choosing.
I was not very fond of the $10 a night parking charge that came w/ the cost of the hotel. The parking garage is not very secure and the elevators go right up to the floors of the hotel. I didn't feel very safe w/ that, but we had no problems whatsoever.
My husband stated we would stay there again especially for the ease of getting to the race track.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I accidentally found a very good value in downtown Richmond at around $110 for a weekday night. I actually thought it was a new property until I read other reviews here after the fact. It has defintiely been remodeled.

While I loved the spacious corner room and view, housekeeping had forgotten one thing which I was able to easily enough fix with a call to the personable woman at the front desk..

What really inpressed me was the general manager. He called me the next morning and took steps to make sure I was satisfied. I didn't have to ask, I didn't have to call - management contacted me. All too rare and very impresssive.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank RealDonn
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We booked & paid in advance, so the rate was less than $100/night. The room was large, the bed comfortable. Had microwave & frig. We specifically wanted this hotel to be close to our favorite restaurants & pubs, and for that, it's perfect. It's not in a pretty section of town, but it was safe enough for walking at night. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I can't even try to be partial about this one. From the time I got out of our car in the dirty parking garage, saw the broken elevator, and got up to the lobby I wished we had stayed somewhere else. The staff, however, were really nice. I have to give them all props because they were great, the place is just dirty and old. Our room stunk. A cross between old ashtray and mildew. There was a huge stain on the floor. The hottub had a ring around it and I had to wash it out with shampoo before we used it. TV remote control and refrigerator didn't work. The hallways need updating and there was no pool. Sour milk for breakfast, always a pleasant way to start the day. Overall, we were happy to leave in the morning. The room was really overpriced. Not to be mean, but this was the worst place we stayed out of 7 hotels by alot.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VacationsRock16

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 August 2008

Overall, this hotel was a pretty good bargain. For the $139 each of us (6) had 2 room suites. The bed was comfortable, but the air-conditioning unit made enough noise to wake me up several times during the evening. I did not report it, so I don't know how they would have handled it.

The breakfast was not elaborate, but sufficient. There were cereals, yogurt, breads, hot sausage and en egg product that was actually tasty.

The neighborhood was marginal. We walked to dinner and felt safe as a group, but I would not have walked to the dining area alone.

I was suprised and disappointed at check-in. I was next in line, but the clerk checked another person in first. When he finally helped me, he said, 'I saw you but didn't like your cap'. It was the cap of the nearby NFL team. I have received kidding before, but never rudeness. A little better judgement is in order.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Gary2hs
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 April 2008

We stayed at this hotel for the Monument Ave 10K, a fun running event in downtown Richmond with over 35, 000 participants. We usually stay at another hotel about 10 miles from the race but decided to stay closer this year. The hotel was extremely convenient to the race. The hotel was undergoing renovations at the time. The room was a bit small but had a gorgeous view of Richmond. The breakfast was good and the staff was courteous.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room size, construction and renovation going on
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2008

We actually booked our stay (three moms in town for their daughters' volleyball tournament at the Convention Center) at the Linden Row Inn but when they didn't have room for us, they put us up at the Holiday Inn Express on Cary Street. We ended up staying two nights (check out the Linden Row review for that story) and had a wonderful experience.

The hotel has just been renovated and everything is extremely clean and new. Lobby was spacious with two computers for staying in touch if you have to. I also think there is wireless connection in the rooms. Meeting room was used on Sunday for a church service.

Saria Winkler was extremely gracious and kind and made the inconvenience of having to change hotels pain-free. She comped our $10 parking fee for both cars and checked us in quickly.

The room held two double beds, microwave, frig, chair with an ottoman and a desk. TV was a good size. Shower head was great, towels were thick and absorbent and the beds had crisp, clean sheets. Only criticism was that the sink and mirror were in with the shower which made the morning a little trickier for us to get ready but it worked out fine.

Hot breakfast included "faux" eggs, hard boiled eggs, sausage, bacon, muffins, bagels, fruit, yogurt and cereal and the usual assortment of juice, coffee and tea. One of the teams that was staying there used the room in the evening for their team dinners.

Parking was extremely safe as it was covered, underground and monitored by security cameras.

Only suggestion would be to make sure there aren't construction workers staying on your floor. Apparently there were many rooms being used and they chose to come in at 1 and 2 am and slam their doors repeatedly. Somehow they managed to go back to work at 5 am just as loudly. They were not working in the hotel, however, so I do not fault the Holiday Inn for their behavior.

Would defnitely recommend this hotel for families, couples, tourists visiting Richmond. They also offer a shuttle service to the Capitol building.

• Liked — Extremely clean
  • Disliked — Noisy patrons
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bdaygirl