“Fine for a stopover”

Ranked #35 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
San Diego
“Fine for a stopover”
Reviewed 16 September 2006

This hotel is in downtown Richmond. I booked it to be fairly close to the downtown tourist attractions. During the day the area is full of business people at work, but at night the area is fairly empty. As a solo traveler, I decided not to venture out after dark. The parking garage is an extra $7 but well worth the price since parking on the street is scarce after 6pm. The free continental breakfast is fine. If I were to visit this area again, I would not stay downtown even though it meant driving a little further to get to the attractions.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Didn't feel safe outside after dark
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank AndySD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed 14 June 2006

Stayed here one night in January for Martina McBride concert. The room was terrific, clean, large, well lit. Parking Garage was sufficient - roof is very low - but sufficient for my SUV and provided off the street parking. Nice little diners very close for late night meals and such. Staff were friendly. Would stay here again. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank Razor22
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2006

This was my first visit to Richmond and I wanted to stay in the historic district w/ in walking distance to the sites and Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom. Therefore, The Quality Inn was a good value choice. It doesn't have any character but our room was large, clean, modern, convenient and w/ free wireless high speed internet. Any other hotel in the historic district was priced much higher. (However, I later learned about the Massad House, only a few streets away that is budget-priced and has free parking---it's not reviewed yet on TA, so I'd be interested to learn what people have to say about it). Ask at the front desk for directions to the Canal Walk and Belle Isle, a short walk away---that's a nice walking tour, and then head toward Shockoe Slip for food and drinks. Richmond was a good city to sleep overnight enroute driving south on 95---there's not a lot to do unless you're really into Civil War history, but the water walk was pretty and the Shockoe districts had yummy food. Richmond looks like it has a number of grand, historic, and expensive hotels, but if you're on a budget, The Quality Inn offers a decent enough standard of comfort and value. Given the price and location, I rate it above average.

• Stayed May 2006
8 Thank Sphynxy
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 May 2006

My boss and I stayed at this Quality Inn and when we left we both knew we would never return to this Inn or any other Quality Inn. The first night of our stay the fire alarm in my room was sounding off for a new battery replacement. I called the front desk and was told to "just take the battery out of the fire alarm." I asked him what if a fire started how would I be alerted? He stated "out in the hallway was an alarm and he proceeded to make the sound of the fire alarm system in the hallway." The last night of our stay my boss wanted a soft drink, so in the Vending Machine area she goes and finds the soda machine "broken" or "vandalized". We call the front desk once again and inform them of the situation. The attendent for this night informed us that the machine was not broken but that the vendor would be in tomorrow to re-fill them on all floors.

The rooms were dirty, the elevator floors were ripped up, the staff was irritating and not helpful in the least. This location is In need of serious repairs.

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 January 2006

My sister and I have stayed at this hotel two years in a row while in Richmond for the Maymont Flower Show. It is always clean. The price is hard to beat and the staff has never been anything other than professional and courteous.

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2005

My husband and I stayed in the hotel for one night November 23, 2005 - the day before Thanksgiving. We liked the room, clean and cosy, it had everything you may need on a trip: from the fridge and microwave to the guides to Richmond. The staff was friendly and attentive. There were lots of cafes and reastaurants near by. For us it was economy accomodation choice which appeared to have all the above economy features. We certainly are going to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank trabelie
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 August 2005

I negotiated a wonderful rate for a long-term stay ($45 a night) and was not disappointed. This is an old bank building converted into a hotel. The hotel is, therefore, relatively new. Walls are thick and rooms are quiet. Rooms vary in size, because the building was -not- constructed as a hotel. As one reviewer noted, the garage is a bit odd (very low ceilings), but who cares? It keeps your car out of the hot Richmond summers. I had a 2-room suite; 2 new televisions, a brand new Serta bed (one of the best beds I've ever had at a hotel), new furniture, and a very nice, modern, well-lit bathroom. Also had a microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker, all attended to and cleaned daily. Breakfast was more than adequate. The hotel is not a gorgeous piece of architecture, for sure...but for a great rate right downtown in a safe, substantial, relatively new building, you can't beat the Quality Inn.

• Stayed July 2003, travelled on business