“Outstanding for family or business travel!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond
Ranked #36 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed here for an entire week. The night we arrived (Friday evening at 2:30am), we hadn't booked a room for us to stay there (accidentally). The staff accommodated us with a smoking suite, which was fine for 1 night. They moved us to our non-smoking jacuzzi suite the following afternoon. With 2 rooms our toddler had her own room to sleep & since there's a TV & sitting area in the bedroom, it worked out GREAT! She got her rest, we got ours.

The free breakfast everyday was pretty decent. The eggs, sausage & bacon were great for our low-carb, high protein lifestyle. Our toddler enjoyed the cold cereals, cold milk & juices, muffins & freshly baked cinnamon rolls. The apples that they had were under-ripened, too small & bitter to eat. The oranges looked perfect, but I don't eat them. They also had yogurt & all kinds of pastries, bagels & english muffins to choose from, along with packets of oatmeal by the coffee & hot tea station.

The staff was very kind & good to us. Any request we had, it was taken care of immediately. We asked for a crib in our reservation & around 2pm on Saturday it arrived. We had packed our Pack N Play just in case the crib was out of commission. Our daughter must have enjoyed the crib, because she slept like a champ & woke up happy & cheery each day of the stay.

Our king bed was very comfortable. I will say, it was hard to decide whether I wanted a firm or soft pillow (they put both on the bed). So I struggled with neck pains most of the week. Next time I'll just bring my own pillow. The AC stayed strong through one of the hottest weeks on record in Richmond, VA. We kept the windows closed & rooms dark during the days while we were out. Then opened them up in the late afternoon. That seemed to help the AC units out quite a bit. They didn't have to work as hard to keep the rooms cool that way.

We had a spectacular view of Downtown Richmond, as we were on the East side of the building. I imagine the views are spectacular from most of this hotel, as it overlooks the heart of Downtown. I highly recommend this hotel. My husband worked for the week, while my daughter & I visited with family & friends. It was an ideal location off of Downtown Expressway & 64/95 Interstates. You're close to great restaurants, great nightlife, fun shopping of Carytown & all the culture that the city of Richmond can offer you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank RVA_Grrrl
hixdowntown, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Downtown Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2011

Thank you for your comments from your stay with us last summer. We appreciate your comments. We hope to have you as our guest when you return to Richmond.

Reviewed 15 February 2010

I stay in a hotels 2-3 nights a week on business. And, specifically I stay here once a week during some winter months. The remodel is very nice. The rooms are clean, the staff is very nice, and the price is reasonable for downtown Richmond. The only tiny issue I have is that a stranger could board the parking garage elevator and come right up the rooms. Although I must admit I've never felt safer, the staff is always very responsive and always accomodating. They really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank BDGRPR
Reviewed 23 January 2010

Great downtown location. Located very near to West Broad street. Close to public transport (not much public transport in Richmond though). Close to Richmond University and Richmond Convention Center. Nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tempa
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Exploritas used this hotel for its program "A Very Richmond Christmas" but the elderly participants were challenged by lack of accessibility, having to climb several steps to the lobby from our bus drop off. Hotel was noisy during some of the lectures our program included. Conference room was unavailable first day, so lecturer was stuck using unsuitable venue for first couple of meetings. Rooms were comfortable, and wi-fi free.

Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank twintx
Reviewed 25 September 2009

After reading the reviews for this hotel, I was very leary about staying here. My husband and I were driving to the hotel and we were not in the nicest part of town. I became very worried. But once we got to the hotel it was very nice and clean. The hotel is located in the middle of the college VCU. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. Helped w/ directions to a Pittsburgh bar that we wanted to go to watch the Steeler game. Also helped w/ directions to Richmond Raceway.
We had a king size room which had enough space to accommodate the both of us without any problems. The room was clean and the furnishings seemed rather new. It date state that it was remodeled in 2007. The breakfast consisted of eggs, bacon, biscuits, cereal, and of course their famous cinnamon rolls. We only had breakfast one day we were there, but that was to our choosing.
I was not very fond of the $10 a night parking charge that came w/ the cost of the hotel. The parking garage is not very secure and the elevators go right up to the floors of the hotel. I didn't feel very safe w/ that, but we had no problems whatsoever.
My husband stated we would stay there again especially for the ease of getting to the race track.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I accidentally found a very good value in downtown Richmond at around $110 for a weekday night. I actually thought it was a new property until I read other reviews here after the fact. It has defintiely been remodeled.

While I loved the spacious corner room and view, housekeeping had forgotten one thing which I was able to easily enough fix with a call to the personable woman at the front desk..

What really inpressed me was the general manager. He called me the next morning and took steps to make sure I was satisfied. I didn't have to ask, I didn't have to call - management contacted me. All too rare and very impresssive.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank RealDonn
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We booked & paid in advance, so the rate was less than $100/night. The room was large, the bed comfortable. Had microwave & frig. We specifically wanted this hotel to be close to our favorite restaurants & pubs, and for that, it's perfect. It's not in a pretty section of town, but it was safe enough for walking at night. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple