“Just OK”

Ranked #40 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Columbus, Ohio
“Just OK”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

In an industrial/manufacturing area south ( just down the street from Phillip Morris ) of the city of Richmond, the location is a poor one for food. There is a very small McDonald's across the street attached to a gas station. I got a quarter pounder ( it was squashed very badly ). There is a Subway. And a Hardees, which has food that is high in fat, calories, and carbs. The best selection of restaurants is 8 miles south on I95. This Red Roof has housekeeping problems. At first I was sent to a room in which the beds had no sheets, and the bedcovers were just dumped in a chair. They had no rooms that were clean ( and this was at 2:45 PM ) except a handicapped room.So that is where I stayed. No table, just a very small work area next to the TV. I opted out of housekeeping for my 3 night stay. As I was checking out, another lady was complaining about the same thing I experienced 3 days ago. The staff was very nice and helpful. And, the plus side is that the location is close to downtown, museums, and historical sites.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for your experience not being above satisfactory here at our inn. We have been unexpectedly busy over the past several weeks and I am to blame for not adding another employee to my staff. This has resulted in some of my rooms not being cleaned in time for guests. I will pursue adding more staff members to prevent this from happening in the future. We do have a limited number of eateries at this exit but do offer several deliveries as well. As a top contributor I appreciate your honest feedback and I can assure you I will be working on what I can to improve the areas the Inn fell short on with your experience. We work hard and strive for much more than “Just OK”. So I hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in town to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shoreham, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there last night, August 19, and we were very pleased with our accommodations. Our room was ready prior to check-in time, it was immaculate, plenty of hot water and great water pressure, comfortable bed, cold refrigerator and a microwave which we did not use and a large flat screen. It is seconds off of I 95 south with a well lit and ample parking lot. I felt safe at all times. The Manager is a wonderful man who recommended a place for dinner which was about 15 minutes away and it was perfect. I have to take a minute and complement Renny, the woman who handled our booking and is a saint because she was so patient with me. She assured me everything would be fine and it was. As a matter of fact, everyone who works there was very friendly and accommodating. And, talking turkey, look at the price! This was a great choice enroute to our destination.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank j5s1v2
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate you choosing Red Roof Inns for the night and are very elated that your enjoyed your stay. I always enjoy hearing positive comments about my staff & property. It was a pleasure discussing the many dinner options in the Richmond area. I am glad Renny was able to personally take care of your booking. Guests continue to give very positive comments on our upgraded rooms at a very reasonable price. Many love the easy access off of I-95 as well. We hope your enjoying your trip and look forward to you staying with us again the next time you need lodging in the Richmond area.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed at RRI - Richmond South in late July 2014. Overall, I had a very experience. I reserved a superior king room on the first floor. The room was very clean, though the sheets could have been crisper. The staff was very helpful and courteous. One drawback - there was a slight odor of stale cigarette smoke in this room. It was very slight, but I am very sensitive to cigarette odor. This RRI is supposed to be smoke-free, so I was surprised ... but it was late, and I was tired, so I decided to let it go.

I did notice another guest smoking outside his room. It wasn't near me, but again - this is supposed to be a smoke-free RRI.

Overall, it was a good experience, and I do recommend this motel.

Room Tip: First floor superior king.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anne F
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your comments on our property and renovated rooms as they continue to get very good reviews & I am glad you share that feeling. The Superior King rooms with the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and now with an iron, ironing board, and hairdryer are the best in the market for value. I do apologize about the slight odor. With the updates to our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them. Providing smoke free rooms is our goal so I will revisit our deep cleaning procedures with the staff to make sure we are preventing this in the future. Thank you for your recommendation. We hope to see you again on your next trip through Richmond.
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We got a refund. Dried soap suds in bathtub, crumbs on table, hair in towels, musty odor. Neighborhood and passersby were scary. Hotelsdotcom gave a refund when I called. Entrances were from outside. We stayed next door instead.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marianne S
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sincerely apologize for your experience not being above satisfactory here at our inn. With the recent update of our rooms our goal is to not only meet the guest’s expectations but exceed them and in this case we did not. I have spoken to my team & shared this with them to make sure we are providing cleanliness that exceeds standards in all our rooms to compliment the changes. It is our hope that you will accept our apology, know we will work on what needs attention, and give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I booked a room here because I was just passing through quickly and needed a cheap place to crash. Frankly, I had pretty low expectations but I was blown away. I don't believe all Red Roofs look like this (I understand this one has been updated recently), but I would certainly recommend this hotel and stay here again in the future. The room was bright and clean, and had updated decor. It was easy access to the interstate, and with gas and McDonald's across the street, you can get on your way quickly in the morning. Nicely done Red Roof.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank mamallama_19
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure this morning coming back from vacation to read a review “Exceeded Expectations”. We very much appreciate your comments on our rooms, cleanliness, and for your recommendation. We make a great stop over for those that need a good night sleep in a clean room. Our easy on and off location makes it stress free to find us and get back on the highway when departing. I believe all of the Red Roof Inns have been renovated so you can get the same experience at many other locations. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are passing through Richmond and need a place to stay. Have a great summer!
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel was exactly what we needed when we just needed a place to shower and sleep while making the move from Massachusetts to North Carolina with four family members, three cats, and two birds. The staff was very friendly and the place was clean, with very comfortable beds and hot showers. I can't describe how much we appreciated the price, especially since there were ZERO pet fees! With five animals (even though two were just parakeets in a cage), at other hotels we were looking at $50 in total pet fees in addition to the room rate. Very easy to find, right off the highway with a McDonald's and convenience stores within walking distance. There was even enough space to park our 26-foot UHaul for the night.

As for cons, there really weren't many. There was a very slight musty smell when we first walked in, but it dissipated very quickly. There was a random stain on one of the bedspreads, kind of like grease or oil or something that I know from home laundry is tough to get out. The sheets and blanket were spotless, though. And not one bug to be seen, which was especially great since we were on the ground floor and the rooms open outdoors instead of a hallway. The bathroom is minuscule, but the rest of the room felt really big and the sink (with a lot of counter space) is outside the toilet/shower room so it works. I felt nervous at first because at night it kind of looked really seedy, but we met several of the other people staying here and everyone was really nice and friendly -- all just normal people taking advantage of a pet-friendly hotel. It's quiet, too; you'll get a good night's rest. I highly recommend it for anyone, but especially folks traveling with pets on a budget.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Shelly T
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay with us. I very much appreciate you and your family choosing to stay with us and for the “just Perfect” posting. Your comments on quality, service, & our new rooms are what we strive for in a customer experience. We are grateful for your recommendation. Our new rooms definitely refresh our product and continue to get a lot of positive reviews. Easy access off of I-95 helps take some of the stress off of traveling. Our pet policy attracts some great customers as it adds to our value but also to your savings. We do get a variety of travelers but just like you discovered some very nice and friendly people. We look forward to seeing you again in your future travels.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Would highly recommend this property!!!!! upon traveling to Myrtle Beach w my 2 teenage daughters, my sister and girlfriend from work for a girls getaway. We left NY later then expected and arrived in Richmond around 1:00 am,,,,upon stopping at numerous places for a place to spend the night, we were highly disappointed in the selection. Then came across Red Roof, could not have asked for a better place, clean and very accommodating. WOULD LIKE TO SEND OUT A EXTRA THANK YOU TO KHAN (WORKING THE DESK), WHO WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND TO MAKE SURE THAT WE HAD EVERYTHING NEEDED. A 1ST CLASS STAR EMPLOYEE WHO MADE THE SHORT TIME THAT WE STAYED RELAXING AND REFRESHING. THANK YOU KHAN!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cathy M
KenVincent, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Richmond South, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
It makes my day to read comments and experiences like this. I am so glad Khan was able to make your stay so special. Thank you very much for sharing this. We are very happy that you came across Red Roof Inns and that your stay was clean and very accommodating. Your comments on Khan are right on as he is a 1st class employee. We hope that you, your family, and friend had a great time in Myrtle Beach and are enjoying your summer. Next time you make that trip or another through Richmond we hope to see you again, and that you can avoid the selection disappointments you went through this time.