“Not a place I'd recommend to most anyone”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond
Ranked #54 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and it was 4 nights too long. We chose it because it was cheap and in a convenient location and we figured, how bad could it be. Allow me to answer that question for you. The halls reeked of some unknown stench that never went away. We bought a candle for our room to mask it. The blanket was so old and nasty we pushed it to a corner and bought a new one at Costco for $10. There was hair in the bathroom, the carpets weren't clean, the walls were thin. We heard a baby crying at midnight nearly every night through the wall. The internet was bad - my partner was relying on it for work and we had to go to a library and barnes and noble so he could work. There wasn't a hair dryer and when I asked the front desk they said they didn't have any. The heater blasted a combination of hot and cool air. it didn't have a way to turn off the blower without unplugging it altogether, so we were constantly having cold air blowing on us while in bed, leaving us cold and dried out. Overall, it was dirty, smelly, and just a very uncomfortable stay. If you can afford it, stay somewhere else. The extra $20 a night is definitely worth it. Eat ramen in luxury if you have to, but I wouldn't recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Reviewed 30 December 2013

First of all, I inadvertently booked this through a third party online not realizing that once I stayed the first night I could not change/leave but was responsible for the entire stay of 3 nights for which I booked. The $25 pet fee per night was somewhat outrageous as other hotels owned by Choice hotels was only $10 per night. The room was okay...nothing to complain about there but the hallways stenched of doggie odor. It was not very pleasant to say the least. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Since it was booked through third party I wasn't given a receipt upon checkout. Would I stay there again? Not on your life.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We take great pride in keeping our hotel clean and giving great customer service. I am glad that we were able to satisfy your needs in those areas! I am sorry that you were not happy about our pet fees....I will take this opportunity to check into those rates and those of our competitors. If you truly were not happy we would have been more than happy to refund your money to the 3rd party service that you used. I hope that the next time that you are in town you give us a second chance to WOW you!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at this location for 5 nights, about 4 nights in I noticed a few bug bites on my arm but my fiancé convinced me that it couldn't have been bed bugs (last time I listen to him.) Luckily, I'm paranoid and as soon as I got home I threw everything into the laundry and am throwing out my suitcase- but I've been home for a day and more bites are appearing all over my arms and back and I've read that bed bug bites can take days to appear. 100% got it from this location.

I've traveled A LOT my whole life and this is the first time I've encountered bed bugs- horrible, horrible, horrible.

Not to mention the service was terrible and the "wifi" is comical, at best.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie2828
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel I can assure you that we have regular pest control done here and had you called and let us know your suspicions we would have had our exterminator there that day to check. I will tell you that since you have been gone no one has reported anything like this and in our regular inspection of rooms have found no evidence of any kind of infestation. I am sorry that you found the customer service lacking..we take great pride in the service that we give. I hope that the next time that you travel to Richmond that you give us another chance to WOW you.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Having the opportunity to stay at this location is always a plus. Have already scheduled reservations for the end of January, 2014, and will any future time that I will be in Richmond. The price fits my pocketbook. The kitchenette is a desirable asset, as well as the problem free Internet connection.

Room Tip: Personally, I desire a bathtub, and they are very nice in providing me with a room with such. Some...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Martha,

Thank you so much for coming to trip advisor and telling about your experiences at our hotel. It is always wonderful to see you walk in the door with your wonderful smile.

I will make sure that I share your words with our staff! It is always wonderful to have kind words said!

Can't wait to see you again! Bring your dancing shoes!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I would stay in this hotel again but for the internet access, which I needed badly. Although they advertise free high-speed internet access, they really have no right to call it that by any US standard. There is premium access available for a price, but I didn't investigate what that cost. I ended up going to the home of a friend in order to work. Not that I was doing any super computing - but using Dropbox or Google Drive, streaming a 2-minute video on YouTube without breaks in playback, or buying something online were actually impossible. Upgrading podcasts, operating system software, and getting apps through the App Store happened with only with very long waits. I have a year-old iPad and a 2-month old laptop, so it wasn't an equipment issue. Some were also staying in the property, and they had the same speed issues. I contacted the tech support for the outside vendor providing internet service to the property. The tech rebooted stuff and changed some settings, apparently, but with very little lasting improvement. Had my friends not have been staying in the same place (different room) and had I not had somewhere else to work, I would have gone elsewhere. (There are two other properties a minute's walk from this one.)

That said, if you don't need internet as I did, this place is perfectly adequate. The bed was comfortable, the room a good size. (There was, however, some staining on the sheet when I arrived but had changed.) The hallway on my floor smelled mildly of smoke, presumably from the smoking rooms or smokers on that floor. My room itself smelled fresh upon check-in. Because I actually cooked in the room and the fume hood is one of those that just blows the air sucked from the stove back into the room, that didn't last long. I should also say that the weekly cleaning left something to be desired. This was my first stay in an extended-stay hotel, but had the bed not been made (sloppily) and new towels and soap not been left in the room, I wouldn't have known that housekeeping had been there. I'm a tidy person, and, I was staying for just about a week, so it didn't matter so much. I don't know what to normally expect from such places.(extended stay), so I won't give a further critique.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cheronc
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to come to trip advisor about your recent stay at Suburban Extended Stay hotel NW

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the internet access on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the IT Dept.to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

I have also shared your concerns with the housekeeping you received while here with the HouseKeeping dept. We will do further training so this does not happen again in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Richmond.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights this week. Large clean room, brand new flat screen TV. close to restaurants and shopping. would stay here again.

Staff was excellent from front desk to housekeepers to maintenance. management will take care of any problems you may have.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to come to trip advisor to tell about your recent stay at our hotel.

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I ended up staying at this extended stay hotel at Shrader Rd for about 7 months after relocating to Richmond area as a temporary contractor. I rate my experience as a truly positive one. The rates are definitely reasonable, the service was adequate and the overall quality of the hotel is satisfying. I loved the proximity of the hotel to West Broad street where you can access almost anything that you would need “restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, shopping mall, gym…..etc) all within 2 or 5 miles drive at the most. This location was really a nice part of town and I felt safe being there (there is a police station right next door to the hotel).
The rooms are equipped with a small kitchenettes and a small size fridge. I made full use of this throughout my stay to avoid eating out every day.
Room service was excellent, and trustworthy. The hotel was well kept in term of Cleanliness and parking was abundant The wireless internet was basic and did not allow for large- file download or streaming but was efficient enough for you average emailing and net browsing.
The staff was definitely friendly and did their best to address my needs while staying there.
So overall I would say that the suburban extended stay hotel is a lovely hotel and I would recommend it to anyone any day.
Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
sesrichmond, Assistant General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel - Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you so much for such positive feedback!! I have shared your comments with the staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services that we provide and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.

You were so wonderful to have on property and we look forward to providing you the same pleasant accomodations and services if you ever need them again!

Thank you for being our guest and again thank you for such kind words!