“Nawlins in Richmond - didn't expect it to be this good...”

Lady N'awlins Cajun Cafe
Ranked #225 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Went for Sunday brunch and wanted to order everything on the menu. Very authentic Cajun food, with some funky, down-home twists. I had Eggs Bayou - a cajun twist on Eggs Benedict with alligator cakes - really good! My 16 yo son had Eggs Rockefeller and he was licking the plate! Best oyster dish he's ever had, of course he's 16, but raved about it. Wife had Chicken and Waffels - the gravy made a great dish even better.

Funky, urban, but lots of light due to tall windows, english basement level with a street view. Low celiings, bar with 20 somethings - VCU is close by so some bleary-eyed revelers were coming in for bloody marys.

Overall - awesome, great trip for this suburbanite to come into town.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We split our time between Richmond and New Orleans, so we were interested in this restaurant as soon as it opened. First visit was not good, our second was better. But those of you who are hoping to recreate a New Orleans experience in the Capital of the Confederacy are probably going to be disappointed.

Kitchen is putting out some pretty good food, the chef obviously knows how to make a gumbo and red beans, and the barbequed oysters and the stuffed mirliton were excellent. But after two visits about 8 months apart, I noticed that this place is turning into more of a hang-out for the thirsty college crowd than a serious restaurant. And I'll risk seeming snooty to say that their spelling of New Orleans really bugs me, as none of the locals I know pronounce the name of their city "nawlins."

Service is spotty. On our first visit last fall, the servers (very young ladies) were more interested in chatting with each other and the bartender than waiting tables. We were one of only three tables and the server brought me an entree that was nowhere near what I ordered. On our most recent visit (August 2013) we arrived at 6:30 and the place was rapidly filling with diners as well as thirsty young people at the bar. There was only one server and she was friendly and efficient but obviously needed another server to help her keep up. They got my order correct this time, however! Barbecued oysters, as well as the stuffed mirliton appetizer were excellent and very close to what I've had in New Orleans restaurants. The sampler (small servings of red beans & rice, gumbo and jambalaya) was way too heavy on the rice, but I guess I should have realized that when I ordered it. Gumbo had a nice roux and the red beans and rice were excellent. Jambalya lacked seasoning and was light on the andouille (but I realize I'm spoiled by Coop's rabbit jambalaya).

Finally, I know I'm 35 years older than the average customer in the place, so I know the music selection was made to please the bar crowd, but the bland, monotonous dance club soundtrack detracted greatly from the experience for me. Is it too much to expect some New Orleans and Louisiana music in a restaurant that calls itself a cajun cafe? We'll go back for oyster night again and I'll hope for some Sonny Landreth, Tab Benoit, Dr. John, or some cajun tunes next time.

1  Thank Back Home
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Picked this restaurant because I was craving a shrimp po'boy. Very surprised at the quality of the food. Lived in New Orleans for 10 years. Granted, it is not New Orleans, but the food was very good. Had gumbo as a side and was very pleased with the flavor and the quality. Typical "fan" of Richmond atmosphere. Looking forward to going back again and trying something else. Delicious.

Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Loved the roasted oysters, catfish bites, and shrimp and grits. Lots of regulars...which says a lot.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

My friends and I wanted to try a new place so we came here. I was super excited because I've been wanting to try this place for awhile. I would like to start off by saying the staff is pretty nice and the customers including the drunk ones are pleasant as well. The food however wasn't at all what I expected. I rarely have to add salt to add flavoring to my food when I'm out to eat, however I had to this time. Nothing about the Cajun omelet was Cajun. I also ordered shrimp and fries for my daughter and the shrimp were a bit too salty, so I'm a little confused lol! Oh and another FYI, this place is very narrow and isn't a place I would recommend bringing your children or parents. It's more so a younger crowd type atmosphere.. Overall the service was decent, but the food wasn't all I expected so I probably won't visit again. I'm glad I can say I tried though! :)