“If I ate there every day I would be 500 lbs.”
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Mama's is a quaint restaurant located in the Downtown area. The food is AMAZING! The decor is very pretty. Everything is made fresh including the cakes. Mrs. Johnson and her staff are very friendly and make you feel like you just walked into their homes. My favorite is the catfish. The greens and sweet potatoes are smack your momma good.

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to every one. It is a small cozy location so please be patient because you will have to wait BUT, believe me it is so worth it.

2  Thank Denise M

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Oh my gosh, where do I begin? This was my first, but not last visit. The restaurant is conveniently located in downtown. When you walk it, the decor is simply elegant, tasteful and beautiful. The bar is off to your left and is nicely put together. Not too many bottles, just enough to impress the neat at heart. There are two tables in the front window offering a view of the main street. To the right of the front door, are a couple of chairs for waiting customers. Overall, the restaurant is small. However, it's the place to eat for grown folks.

The service was surpurb. Our waitress had a beautiful smile and took care of our every need. The staff was professional and polite. They kept an eye on every customer. When I finished my meal, a different waitress cleared my plate and bowls. I really like teamwork and that's a reason this restaurant is successful.

On to the main reason for the visit, the food! We ordered the trout, collard greens and candied yams. Oh my word! The fish was perfectly fried and the candied yams were the best I've ever had. A corn muffin came on the side. It too, was wonderful. I didn't have room for desert, but the bread pudding looked wonderful.

My partner and I have decided Mama J's is going to be our new "spot"! Thank you to the owner for coming over and speaking to us. We are so proud of our "sister friend" for living her dream and embracing our culture! May God continue to bless you, your staff and your business.

If you are in Richmond, please visit Mama J's. I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Carla H
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Heart warming because . . . first, the food truly is AWESOME!!! Husband heard so much about this place and wanted to try it . . . me . . . only went because he wanted to. Thought it would be another greasy fried food soul place. BOY WAS I SURPRISED! I wasn't all that hungry, if I were I would have ordered the cream of crab soup and the crab cake platter with a side of mac and cheese and sweet potatoes. Since I wasn't hungry I ordered from the sides. I got the seafood salad (which was different and okay), and the mac and cheese which was out of this world!!! My husband got the fried trout, sweet potatoes and greens with a corn muffin. He loved it!! just like mama's cookin' . For dessert my daughter and son got the homemade chocolate cake with buttercream icing. I got the buttercream cake with buttercream icing and we got the rum cake to take home. RUM CAKE WAS "TIGHT".

Now the other reason it was heart warming . . . we got to talking to the ladies at the table next to us. We had such a great conversation that lasted til closing time. So we met new friends . . .

But back to the restaurant. . . our server was unique. She was very helpful, honest and straight to the point. She had her own little spicy flair which added to the ambiance and experience. The bartender was hilarious, friendly and a great conversationalist.

The atmosphere was clean, beautifully decorated and warm.

We have found a new spot we will keep going back to and will definitely recommend to everyone. The only downfall is that it is a small restaurant so there isn't extra seating. It looked as if there may have been seating for around 50 people. They do take reservations for parties of 9-15.

2  Thank jalyfle
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The food here is unbelievable. Everything. The fried catfish is on another level of tasty. The chicken salad is the best I've ever had. Any of the sides will be well worth it. Especially the seafood salad. They make their own Sweet Tea AND Lemonade.

Then there are the cakes. Trust me you should try one slice of each.

Also the service is ALWAYS spectacular. I've been here 8 or 10 times and each times our server is genuinely warm, excited, always gets the order right. Never have had an issue. They even recognize you from previous visits. Such a great feel, it's like their your neighbors, the ones that you like.

Eat here!!!!!!

1  Thank Matt211111
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Mama J's is the go to place for home cooking. Our group had Pork chops, Crab cakes, ribs, Baked Chicken, greens mac&cheese, and of course desserts. All were prepared well. Staff and owners are always friendly. You cannot go wrong on any choice