“It's All About the Catfish”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 1,602 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Arlington, MA
“It's All About the Catfish”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My family of four, including two tween boys, enjoyed our meal here last week. The staff was warm and welcoming to regulars and tourists alike. We tried a variety of items, and hands down, the fried catfish was a standout. We also enjoyed the pork chops, corn muffins, collard greens and mac n cheese. The cakes looked amazing but we didn't have room!

Visited April 2014

London
“If you have to choose one restaurant in Richmond-go here”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We never line up for food but having read the reviews we decided to wait. It was well worth it. We ate very well - 2 seats at the bar came up and we took them. The food was excellent. The lady behind the bar was hospitable and friendly. We had the fried chicken and the spare ribs. We felt welcomed and well fed and the price was very reasonable. Nothing to fault this place.

Richmond, Virginia
“Do not miss this, so good”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had tried to eat here previously but the line was out the door so we put together a party of 8 to come early and get a reservation. Everyone of the party raved about each different entree. The fried catfish was amazing, one piece is enough but you can get two. I had the roasted port terderloin special with roasted potatoes, yummy. The prices are incredibly low. Although there is another restaruant claiming comfort food around the corner, Mama Js is better and less expensive. I reccomend the mac and cheese, collard greens, green beans and mashed potato sides. Bring a crowd to get a reservation and come early both to lunch and dinner. Try and carpool if possible, parking is challenging.

1 Thank tuscanytomorrrow
Boston, Massachusetts
“My Oh My”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Mama J's definitely does not disappoint! Having read all the reviews, the bar was set very high and they hit and surpassed it. I opted for a salad as I'm watching my waistline but there was plenty to steal from on the other plates. My chef salad was delicious, plenty of bacon, ham, chicken, cheese and egg to balance out the lettuce! We started with the friend shrimp and the catfish bites appetizer - don't miss the pepper sauce on top of the latter! Was lucky enough to sample the fried chicken too.

The service was friendly and fast, as other reviewers reported. MamaJ herself said hello and welcomed us. All around awesome place to swing into!

Waldorf, Maryland, United States
“Phenomenal Soul Food”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have been here visiting from Maryland. A group of us VPs decided to get some soul food. The chicken wings were amazing. The grilled pork chops were tender and juicy. The macaroni and cheese wasn't as cheesy as normal and the server said it depends on who is cooking. The server had a less than welcoming attitude, but the food was worth the lack luster service. I will try again with a different server.

• Visited March 2014