“Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 1,603 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We so wanted to love this place, and waited about an hour at 4pm on a Sunday to try it out. I had the fried catfish with Mac and cheese and potato salad, both were very good but not quite as good as I had hoped. The coating on the catfish had a little spice to it that I wasn't expecting. It was really good, but after about 10 bites the spice was a little much for me. My husband had the fried chicken, string beans and apple sauce. He said the chicken was good, but a touch dry (I had a taste and agreed), and his string beans were a little mushy and bland. We each brought home a piece of cake - husband had chocolate with buttercream, and I had the German chocolate - both were great. The best part of our meal was our waiter Jamal. He was super friendly, eager to please, kept our iced teas filled, and had a great attitude. The place is adorable inside, very nicely decorated and very clean. We would definitely go back, we'd just maybe try something else next time.

Visited April 2014

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Price, Good Food, Average Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

When my family and I arrived at this restaurant, we got what we expected: good and cheap soul food in a great atmosphere. I am not from Richmond, so I can not speak in comparison to other restaurants of the city, but this is certainly a very good one. The price is very cheap, only $28 for two full meals, one of which included alcohol. My only complaint comes in terms of the service. My group ordered the wingettes as a starter. They were labeled as one of "Mama J's Specialties" and we thought that they would be good. Up to this point, the waitstaff had been attentive and kind, so it surprises us when our entrees arrived, sans wingettes. This is a simple problem, and I would have easily overlooked it if the waitress had so much as apologized. Alternatively, though, we just received a wide-eyed look, as if this problem was our fault. Other than this one mixup, though, my dining experience was pleasant and cheap. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Arlington, MA
“It's All About the Catfish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My family of four, including two tween boys, enjoyed our meal here last week. The staff was warm and welcoming to regulars and tourists alike. We tried a variety of items, and hands down, the fried catfish was a standout. We also enjoyed the pork chops, corn muffins, collard greens and mac n cheese. The cakes looked amazing but we didn't have room!

Visited April 2014
London
“If you have to choose one restaurant in Richmond-go here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We never line up for food but having read the reviews we decided to wait. It was well worth it. We ate very well - 2 seats at the bar came up and we took them. The food was excellent. The lady behind the bar was hospitable and friendly. We had the fried chicken and the spare ribs. We felt welcomed and well fed and the price was very reasonable. Nothing to fault this place.

• Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Do not miss this, so good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I had tried to eat here previously but the line was out the door so we put together a party of 8 to come early and get a reservation. Everyone of the party raved about each different entree. The fried catfish was amazing, one piece is enough but you can get two. I had the roasted port terderloin special with roasted potatoes, yummy. The prices are incredibly low. Although there is another restaruant claiming comfort food around the corner, Mama Js is better and less expensive. I reccomend the mac and cheese, collard greens, green beans and mashed potato sides. Bring a crowd to get a reservation and come early both to lunch and dinner. Try and carpool if possible, parking is challenging.

• Visited April 2014