“For soul food the best”
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Tiny unpretentious place. Incredible fried chicken . Sides of candied sweet potatoes and sea food salad were amazing and definitely to share potions large and reasonable. Peach cobbler for desert a must and big enough for 4. Best cobbler I have ever had and probably the best I will ever have

Great informative and friendly staff

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Nice food. I had the southern fried chicken and fries. Not too pricey, a nice atmosphere, and friendly staff.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We so wanted to love this place, and waited about an hour at 4pm on a Sunday to try it out. I had the fried catfish with Mac and cheese and potato salad, both were very good but not quite as good as I had hoped. The coating on the catfish had a little spice to it that I wasn't expecting. It was really good, but after about 10 bites the spice was a little much for me. My husband had the fried chicken, string beans and apple sauce. He said the chicken was good, but a touch dry (I had a taste and agreed), and his string beans were a little mushy and bland. We each brought home a piece of cake - husband had chocolate with buttercream, and I had the German chocolate - both were great. The best part of our meal was our waiter Jamal. He was super friendly, eager to please, kept our iced teas filled, and had a great attitude. The place is adorable inside, very nicely decorated and very clean. We would definitely go back, we'd just maybe try something else next time.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

When my family and I arrived at this restaurant, we got what we expected: good and cheap soul food in a great atmosphere. I am not from Richmond, so I can not speak in comparison to other restaurants of the city, but this is certainly a very good one. The price is very cheap, only $28 for two full meals, one of which included alcohol. My only complaint comes in terms of the service. My group ordered the wingettes as a starter. They were labeled as one of "Mama J's Specialties" and we thought that they would be good. Up to this point, the waitstaff had been attentive and kind, so it surprises us when our entrees arrived, sans wingettes. This is a simple problem, and I would have easily overlooked it if the waitress had so much as apologized. Alternatively, though, we just received a wide-eyed look, as if this problem was our fault. Other than this one mixup, though, my dining experience was pleasant and cheap. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My family of four, including two tween boys, enjoyed our meal here last week. The staff was warm and welcoming to regulars and tourists alike. We tried a variety of items, and hands down, the fried catfish was a standout. We also enjoyed the pork chops, corn muffins, collard greens and mac n cheese. The cakes looked amazing but we didn't have room!