“Good but not great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
richmond, va
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have eaten here 5 times, I have stopped ordering the collards, every time mine were tough and had sugar in them, I like mine with ham, not sweet. Baked chicken is good, catfish good, pork roast and pork chop good. I find the Mac and cheese bland and not creamy. The rolls and muffins are good but don't expect real butter, they serve country crock. Green beans and cabbage good. I am a southern girl, I grew up on these staples, so therefore I hold a higher standard. Service is always great.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank susan822

Frederick
“Southern Good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

In Richmond for a seminar, this restaurant was within walking distance of my hotel and highly recommended.
The place was packed with people in line inside the door! I think everyone at the seminar had gone come here for a southern meal. We had super-duper fried chicken and mac & cheese along with sweet tea, southern staples that did not disappoint. We had so much we took a doggie bag back for lunch the next day. Plenty of choices and desserts if you have any room left after the entrees.
People were streaming in the door for carry-out. THIS is a happening place.
Service was stellar.
What really impressed me, though, as one who lived and worked in Richmond in the late 60s was black and white folks standing in line together, chatting together and dining together - all smiles. Richmond is a different place these days, thank heavens!

• Visited April 2014
Fairfax, Virginia
“This place is awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Not in the best part of town but who cares, the food is so, so good.

I've ordered their baked and fried chicken, as well as the country fried steak. I don't have a favorite between the 3 and it's always tough to choose what to eat when I go back. Every time I go I tell myself I will make room for some of that great looking, home-made cake. But I never got to, maybe next time I'll skip on getting a side. They have some great sweet tea, too.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Torki A
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Look nowhere else for soulfood.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The catfish is the best I've tasted. The dining quarters are somewhat small so if there's a lot of folks, you may have to wait a bit. But the server's are friendly and the food is tasty.

Visited January 2014
North Carolina
“Fried chicken and catfish--a taste of home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

For two old Southern women, Mama J's Kitchen was a piece of home. We shared fried chicken, catfish, collards, cornbread, and baked macaroni and cheese--all of them cooked just right and served in abundance. To avoid the crowds we'd read about, we had our dinner early, around 5 p.m., so we didn't have to wait at all. The place appeared to be full of locals, not tourists, which we found very encouraging. If you're uncomfortable walking and eating in a mostly African American neighborhood, get over your misgivings and enjoy this wonderful family restaurant.

• Visited April 2014