“one of the best”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

You can't beat a visit to Mama J's. The place is rather small,
and there's usually a line, but the food is definitely worth the
wait. The catfish and collards are a must. The servings are
large, but make sure and save room for dessert. The peach
cobbler can easily serve 3 people, and the slices of cake are
huge as well. The service here is also as good as the food.
If you want good home cooking in downtown Richmond, this
is definitely the place to go.

There are newer reviews for Mama J's Kitchen

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have eaten here 5 times, I have stopped ordering the collards, every time mine were tough and had sugar in them, I like mine with ham, not sweet. Baked chicken is good, catfish good, pork roast and pork chop good. I find the Mac and cheese bland and not creamy. The rolls and muffins are good but don't expect real butter, they serve country crock. Green beans and cabbage good. I am a southern girl, I grew up on these staples, so therefore I hold a higher standard. Service is always great.

2  Thank susan822
Reviewed 13 May 2014

In Richmond for a seminar, this restaurant was within walking distance of my hotel and highly recommended.
The place was packed with people in line inside the door! I think everyone at the seminar had gone come here for a southern meal. We had super-duper fried chicken and mac & cheese along with sweet tea, southern staples that did not disappoint. We had so much we took a doggie bag back for lunch the next day. Plenty of choices and desserts if you have any room left after the entrees.
People were streaming in the door for carry-out. THIS is a happening place.
Service was stellar.
What really impressed me, though, as one who lived and worked in Richmond in the late 60s was black and white folks standing in line together, chatting together and dining together - all smiles. Richmond is a different place these days, thank heavens!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Not in the best part of town but who cares, the food is so, so good.

I've ordered their baked and fried chicken, as well as the country fried steak. I don't have a favorite between the 3 and it's always tough to choose what to eat when I go back. Every time I go I tell myself I will make room for some of that great looking, home-made cake. But I never got to, maybe next time I'll skip on getting a side. They have some great sweet tea, too.

1  Thank Torki A
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The catfish is the best I've tasted. The dining quarters are somewhat small so if there's a lot of folks, you may have to wait a bit. But the server's are friendly and the food is tasty.