“Best Soul Food in Richmond....”
Review of Mama J's Kitchen

Mama J's Kitchen
Ranked #4 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Everything is great about this restaurant from the friendly staff to the good ol' home cooking. Prices are very reasonable and this place is popular. Get there early or be prepared to wait for a table. It''so worth it. Owned and operated by African American family and they make EVERYONE feel welcome. Absolutely loved the stafff and food.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

While on business in Richmond, I asked the bellman at my hotel where he eats in town. He suggested Mama J's and I wasn't disappointed. Amazing catfish, greens, macaroni and cheese casserole, topped off with a huge wedge of the still-warm rum cake. I've been back twice and it's my must-have in Richmond.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The fried catfish is to die for. The fried chicken is addicting! All the sides were delicious. Never heard so many "mmmmm"s or "u have to try this!" before. And the staff made us feel at home. Prices are a steal. This is just what we needed. I recommend this place to anyone and everyone.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This soul food restaurant is amazing! Service is knowledgable and friendly. My husband is still talking about the fried chicken. And save room for dessert.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Went to Mama J's on Sunday night with the family. We arrived just after 5pm and it was a 30 min wait. The place is on the smaller side, but it makes it quaint. The staff was excellent. I ordered the fried catfish with a side of mac and cheese and seafood salad. My wife had the fried chicken with collard greens and yams. My daughter had the wingettes. All of the food was brought out hot and took about 15-20 mins to come out. I can say that the catfish, mac/cheese and seafood salad was amazing. The catfish (1pc) was so large, I saved some for home. The seafood salad is now a staple for me at this place. We will definitely go back to Mama J's soon.

FYI - the drinks are potent and the cost is very reasonable. A dinner for 4 adults and 1 child was $65 (not including tip or drinks).

1  Thank mdpai79