“fun and tasty”

Real Richmond Food Tours
Ranked #6 of 17 Food & Drink in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: Come along with REAL RICHMOND Food Tours, as we help visitors and residents alike navigate the culinary and cultural riches that RVA has to offer. Taste and see why Saveur, The New York Times and other national press raves about our cuisine scene. Since 2010, our food tours through architecturally and historically interesting Richmond neighborhoods such as Shockoe Slip, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Carytown, Museum District, Scott's Addition, Manchester, the Fan, Jackson Ward, and the West End let guests see the behind-the-scenes scene in several Richmond restaurants food/beverage purveyors and sample delicious creations at each of the several stops. Our walking tour routes cover 1.5 Miles of ground, and we do walk rain or shine. We offer private tours, including Capital of the Confectionery, a riverfront one and a Lincoln-themed tour and can customize tours to suit your group.
Reviewed 23 July 2012

very nice to get to try a restaurant without the commitment of going there for an entire meal, especially since Richmond has so many restaurants. I didn't know there'd be as much history as there was. I'm glad we got so much food. Overall I liked the whole tour a lot!

1  Thank slooc

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Guide was interested in history. In selling a book. But definitely NOT in food. If I wanted a history tour, I would have booked one. For those who have been on Real Food Tours in other cities, do not go one this tour. Boring waste of time if you are thinking FOOD Tour. No fun. Not much food either.

1  Thank ScottyStafford
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

I'm sorry you weren't happy with the tour. If it's the tour I think it was, it was unusual as we visited a street festival which made it more unpredictable, and I think you left before our sixth food stop. We refunded all of our guests that day some of the ticket price because the amount of food on that day wasn't up to our standards. We weave Richmond's past, present and future into all of our tours, but the food served coupled with interaction with owners, chefs and managers at the food purveyors is the main event.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We took out of town guests on this tour. It was delightful. Guide was very pleasant and knowlegable. Restaurants were welcoming and food sampled was delicious. Well worth the time and money.

Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Our tour guide Maureen was very knowledgeable about the Richmond area but I would definetly not call this a food tour. We did see a few cool restaurants but I do not think that they amount of food provided warranted the $42/head price tag. We did the Broad side tour. I am sorry but one stop fed us Crudités and hummus and another gave us chesse and sausage. I was under the impression that these establishments would try to showcase what they have to offer. I also thought that since you had to be 21+ to participate that adult beverages would be provided. If you want I learn about different areas of the city this would be the think for you but take it from me, food wise you will not be satisfied.

2  Thank Tls96
Maureen E, Owner at Real Richmond Food Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

I'm sorry you were disappointed in your recent tour. This tour isn't labeled 21 and older on our website or Brown Paper Tickets site, so I would appreciate knowing where you saw that so it can be corrected. There was a last-minute substitution due to one restaurant's emergency, so a gourmet market was added where the owner served local cheese and locally made gourmet salami and a fresh-baked classic dessert from a local baker. The hummus you mentioned was Butter Bean Hummus, a Southern twist on the usual served with crudités, and they also served Pimento Cheese, Deviled Eggs with House-made Fish Roe and Honey Lavender Lemonade. At the end of the tour guests received $5 off coupons from the restaurant that had to cancel last minute. All five restaurants and food purveyors on our tours serve their specialties, each in their own way.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I recently went on one of the Shockoe Bottom food tours and loved it! Not only did I get to try a number of great local Richmond restaurants, I Learned a lot and got to meet a bunch of great people too. As you walk around the city eating and chatting it up, you learn all the interesting little tidbits the guides are filled with at various stops along the way. Most of the places we went they served us family style, which I LOVED! It allowed me to try a number of dishes and figure out the ones I want to go back to for a full plate of. The sharing of good food between strangers brought us all together and had us talking in no time. I had an amazing time on this tour and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great way to spend an afternoon in Richmond Virginia.

5  Thank Adam G