“Barely adequate”

Ranked #43 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Barely adequate”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We usually stay at a Marriott product (ie: Fairfield or Residence Inn) on our way South, but chose LQ this time because of their pet friendly policy. Location was excellent, as it was right off the highway, and it was indeed pet friendly. However, people friendly was a whole other story! We arrived at 5:30 in the afternoon after a grueling 9 hours of traffic on I95. There was one man at the desk and very few cars in the lot. (The same man was there when we returned from dinner at 9:00, and again the next morning at checkout), He was not very friendly, did not seem to know how to smile, and curtly informed us that we could not have a ground floor room as we requested for our 5 month old puppy's need to get outdoors quickly. When we got to our 3rd floor room, we were greeted by an overpowering smell of disinfectant and a blast of frigid air from the antiquated A/C unit. The king-sized bed was comfortable and clean, but everything else was very shabby and badly in need of updating. The bathroom toilet seat was broken and sliding around, the shower head was cracked and the sink was stained and crazed. All the carpets were worn.

Breakfast was only adequate, but the server there was a large, sloppy looking man, using a dirty rag to wipe down counters occasionally. The chambermaid had 2 children following her around.

All in all, we were not happy and will not return. Hopefully by our next trip, Marriott will have reevaluated their pet policies!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Carrisue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Leesburg, FL
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times over the past 4 years when we have travelled from FL to NY. It always met our needs because of reasonable price, accommodations, and pet friendly policy. We had a voucher for a free night due to a problem encountered by my husband last year, so we stayed here again. What a change over the years. I don't know how often hotels generally renovate, but this LQ is in need of one. Carpets are worn, a light fixture broken, and huge weeds in the flower bed! Our room had a broken toilet seat when we arrived, and rather than replace it, the front desk clerk ( who was the only one at the desk!), glued it. We noticed the seat wasn't even the right size, so no wonder it was broken. On the positive side, breakfast was good and the room clean. Probably won't stay here again unless changes are made.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cgl853
Watkinsville, Georgia, USA
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Desk service for check-in and check-out were excellent. Breakfast buffet was consistently of good quality and nothing too surprising--omelet, sausage, fruit juice (orange + apple), yogurt (two low-fat flavors), and some breads and cereals would be enough to get you through to lunch. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank alexandero744
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is a very good value in the Richmond area. Traveling from the northeast to Florida the Richmond area is a good overnight stay area and most budget hotels are poor places to stay.

As one reviewer said, there is none at the desk, but there is a person on call that responds quickly. The room is large and clean. The room has a micro/fridge and coffee maker. The room has a flat panel TV with over 50 channels, but none are in HD.

Breakfast was excellent. Hot and cold breakfast items, including eggs and sausage.

The down side is that traffic is a little noisy on the front side of the hotel.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georden7 W
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2013

If your looking for a cheap place to stay quickly, this may suit you, but if it's a long stay run!!!! First there is never anyone at the front desk!!!especially at night it's like a ghost town, you have to look for the staff. second there is no way for you to identify staff because no one wears uniforms. I had two rooms reserved, once I arrived, I was told that one of the rooms was a handicap, in which i did not ask for, when I asked why i was told the I was informed when I made reservations..Never happened. while I was waiting for my room children was running every where come to find out it was the maids children? Huh...The person over the breakfast very rude, yell at the guest and basically told them to move so he can clean, ok...also I watched him take the same rag he was cleaning with, wipe he face and went back to wiping the surface with the same rag. Back to the rooms, that 2nd room was for my son and his wife, they checked in paid in cash, and they still charged my card for the same room. after arguing with them they gave my son the cash back..This place is very very unprofessional, this review my not make a difference for some, but at least you know what to expect.. I will never go here again!!!!!

Room Tip: Look for somewhere else to stay, please take my advice!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank Loretta B
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Nice and clean rooms comfy beds and no fee dogs great easy on and off at desk awesome hot breakfast nice and bright will stop here again go to welcome center and ask they give you a list of pet friendly hotels that helps a whole lot and this one was on it and good rate

• Stayed July 2013
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times when traveling between Massachusetts and Florida. Each time I reserved a smoking room. While a nice hotel and reasonably priced, the last 2 times I checked in they told me that they had no more smoking rooms available even though I reserved one weeks before. Consequently, I will not stay at this hotel again. They have smoking rooms, I reserved one, and then it was not available when I went to check in.

Room Tip: A smoking room is just a request and not a guarantee I was told.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple