“Great choice”

Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I usually go for the Sushi. Tony is the best sushi chef in town. I've been to at least 10 sushi restaurants in Richmond and I still rank this #1. Had the hibachi once and it was very good also. Give it a try.

1  Thank jcandio

Reviewed 10 March 2013

What a disappointment! We had a large party of people for a birthday party where the birthday celebrants love Japanese steak houses and this was a huge letdown. The soup was cold. The place was nearly empty. There was no showmanship - there is even a special charge for singing to a birthday celebrant. The wrong food was given to half our party. The portions were small. We were forced to order off the dinner menu - at 2PM.

Worst, despite the restaurant being nearly empty we were rushed out the door. We plan to travel the extra 50 miles for the Fredericksburg steakhouse next time!

Reviewed 7 September 2012

KanPai is well decorated and has a nice ambience. But, the place was nearly devoid of customers yesterday. My wife and I had some pretty nice sushi and sashimi, but, our miso soup was insipid and tasteless. My Japanese salad looked authentic, but the dressing was bland and non-gingery. Too bad.

When we went in, there were only 4 customers in the restaurant, not a good sign. When my wife ordered her lunch, everything came out quickly and efficiently, but, she thought the miso soup was pretty horrid. She liked her sushi though. However, in most sushi places an ala carte sushi order usually consists of two pieces of each item ordered. Here though, the orders were one piece only. Cutting corners like this will not create repeat business.

I ordered the sashimi lunch and this was pretty tasty. However, they totally forgot to bring my soup and salad until after the main plate had been placed before me. There is no excuse for these lapses. When there are only four patrons in the entire restaurant everything should be perfect.

Kanpai also has a large room hibachi tables. Perhaps they do a better job there in the evenings by entertaining patrons with quick and skillful grill techniques. I hope so.

The service was friendly but terribly inefficient and random. If they can improve their customer focus, perhaps they can save the place. Being barely average in a tight economy is a recipe for disaster.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My fiance and I have been searching for the right place to have sushi and we finally found it. The atmosphere is great...they not only have sushi but for those fans of hibachi style cooking it is also available. It's a Japananese style steakhouse and sushi bar...The staff is friendly and accomodating. Tony, the sushi chef is fantastic at making delicious sushi and providing excellent suggestions to satisfy your palate. We have gone back again and again because each time is a great experience. If you love sushi and love trying new items...this is the place to go. We will be life long customers...