“I enjoyed my stay...”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I was worried after reading some of the reviews here and maybe I am not that picky but my room was fine! The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and it was very quiet! .I had everything I needed and the food in the resturaunt was very good, Filet one night and ribeye the next.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival parking sucked. Walking into the lobby sure does tell you this hotels age. Rooms are very small with very thin walls and a very loud fan in the bathroom. Spent 4 days was very tired some since this hotel is ver depressing. The only benefit is the female bartender. She was a delight! This hotel surely could use some serious updating including the shower head and a shower curtain that actually doesn't have gaps to let in cold drafts. A sign in the hallway would also be recommended to hush people especially after midnight. I do not foresee this hotel in my future.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank TheTruthHasBeenTold
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Thesoupnazi88,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed for 3 nights as part of a coach tour and this was by far the worst hotel of the trip, the housekeeping was not good, found chewing gum on the bedding and had to leave a postie note showing the housekeeping staff where the chewing was stuck on the bedding, there were hairs at the back of the toilet pan in the bathroom that must have been there for some time.
The TV set in the room must have come with the Ark it is that old and the picture quality was rubbish almost unwatchable, should upgrade the TV sets asap.
As the tours left the hotel fairly early we asked reception for an early call one morning at 0530 which is "am" however we got the call at 1730 which is "pm" and again at midnight , when this was reported to reception and they were asked to explain the only answer we got was "sorry but the person on duty who took the request for an early call is not here now"
As the hotel restaurant prices seemed expensive we went across the road to the local Dennys where you can get good food at a good price. as there is no controlled crossing to get across the road great caution should be taken before you make the dash to the other side.
If we went back to this area this would not be the hotel I would choose

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Midor

Dear Midor,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We recently stayed at the hotel for 3 nights as part of a tour .When in US ,we have always enjoyed the Crowne Plaza experience but were very disappointed in this one Staff at reception were very helpful but the organisation and general management seemed lacking, to say the least!
Breakfast opportunities in this area are very limited, as you can either undertake a death defying sprint across a very busy main road to reach Dennys or eat within the hotel . On the first morning, the majority of a party of 50 chose the safer option. What a disaster!!! One poor ,harassed waitress, a tepid "hot" selection and a " sumptuous selection of breads and pastries" which was pathetic. Understandably, the server was clearly under pressure which did not result in a pleasant experience for anyone No lessons were learned from this and subsequent mornings were not much better Evening meals in an almost deserted restaurant, were limited and uninteresting so folks voted with their feet! The management missed the opportunity to keep most of the group in the restaurant and bar. It would have been so easy to promote a night with decent food and maybe a complimentary drink and the group would have appreciated the chance to socialise Good business for the hotel and the spin off benefit that guests would have returned on future visits
This, combined with a less than impressive standard of decor and maintenance means that few,if any of 50 travellers will ever use this hotel again

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Corrie33912,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property about your recent stay with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the food served during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.
Thank you again for your comments.

Janice A

Reviewed 7 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel Sunday 30th September, Monday 1st and Tuesday 2nd October as part of a land tour of New England in the Fall, organised by Newmarket holidays in England. Having toured India with Newmarket, and stayed at some really wonderfull hotels during that tour we were expecting the same high standard.
How devastated we were along with many others on our tour.
The hotel is cetainly not up to Crown Plaza ratings, the breakfast food, being a hot buffet was abismal, boring and bland. On the last day a second tour coach had booked in, adding another 50 guests to our 50. There was one girl in the breakfast restuarant to deal with us all. It was not her fault, but a management fault. ( she refused to charge us for breakfast as she was so embarrassed)
When I brought this to the attention of the management, I was fobbed off by them saying that there had been a lot of room service requests, absolute tosh !!
As previously stated it is a very tired hotel, in fact more than tired it is almost asleep.
The rooms were adequate, but not cleaned to a good standard, as the were balls of fluff under the TV cabinate
So if you can use another hotel, I would advise it

Room Tip: A tip to choose a good room would be to find another hotel !!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2012

Dear Ron H,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I am pleased you found the room adequate. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to the condition of the property, breakfast options served and hotel staff services received. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences for us to improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 5 October 2012

The hotel is much better from my experience of three night stay than some reviews would lead you to believe. However, the hotel is tired and needs freshening up. My room was clean and comfortable. But it felt as tho' this was a lower grade hotel where they had simply added a few items to class it as a Crowne Plaza hotel. Certainly disappointing compared to any other Crowne Plaza I have stayed in. Oh....if communications are important, television badly needs updating and advertised hi speed internet crawls along at below 1mb, had to go out to coffee shop to download. Conclusion, if you can get a good price it might be worth staying otherwise I suggest you look elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2012

Dear sas600,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am happy to know that you found our room accommodations good enough for your stay. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the television and Internet connection not working as expected. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West 1 night on 9/14/2012. Well the front desk manager was nice, but that's as good as it gets. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor and advised to use the elevators at the 2nd entrance. Upon walking , it was apparent this hotel was in need of an overhaul. The elevators were literally scary going up to the room , I felt like they were going to get stuck at any moment. Upon getting off the elevator, the corridors were very dated , and the the doors to the rooms were scratched , in need of cosmetic makeover. The room was large and spacious , but no flat screen tv, dust on the nightstand, old worn out carpet, cracked sink in the bathroom , a shower that needed to be replaced. This property at one point in time I am sure was nice, but it needs to be completely overhauled to bring it up to date with todays standards of what a crown plaza should be. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the area i recommend the westin a block away , or the courtyard across the street.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bking406
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Dear bking406,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted to know that you appreciate the front desk manager and the quality of service provided. On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced over the elevator and some of the room amenities. Thank you for bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.