“New Is The New ..OLD.”

Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
New York City, New York
“New Is The New ..OLD.”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Under New Management? Great right? The Former Crowne Plaza West has changed guards.SO, reNEWal means new start, right? Out with the old and rebirth of fresh new better service and value is the immediate expectation, right? But No. New Management at Magnuson Grand got this thing wrong - VERY wrong. Prior to even arriving in town,I phoned on 2 seperate occasions (twice) to reconfirm. Once, the the phone rang out indefinitely with no answer at all. The 2nd call (2 days later) rang out almost as long before an exapserated voice finally answered and assisted. On arrival, more of the same awful customer service persisted as only ONE guest receptionist was on hand to check in ENTIRE Busloads of arriving guests.Where's that Mgr.you ask? Not only was he not available, He was not even in the Building at all!! These dates were fully booked several months prior!. Also unsuccessful to connect to internet in the biz center. I thought to ask front desk reception to assist but afraid she was still busy checking in 200 remaining guests all by herself! One rear elevator was broken the entire weekend. The experience was unforgettable, And this was NOT a good thing! Horrible torturous experience.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank DERRICK M
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear DERRICK M,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was a guest at the Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel on March 20th, 2013. I was there to attend a conference that was being held there the following day. The hotel smelled like mold and was very dingy. The room I stayed in did not have working heat. I was freezing! I had the heat turned all the way up to 90 and at 2AM the room was still 50 degrees. I called the front desk and all they did was come up and mess with the thermostat a little and then left. I asked them for another room or at least for a blanket, neither of which they could accommodate me with, as the owner of the hotel was sleeping. I think I only had about 2 hours sleep. At 6AM the temperature of the room had only risen to 62. I addressed the GM and the Manager about this situation, and they assured me that they would compensate me for the room, there would be no charge. Not only did they charge me for the room, they put the charge on my personal card, instead of the company card that was provided when the reservation was made. I have been trying to contact the manager and the GM since that date and have had no response for either. The front desk person advised me she was looking for another job, there was nothing she could do and she advised me to contact Magnuson’s corporate offices. I have had no response from them either. I have called them twice since I was advised to call them. This is the worst run hotel I have ever stayed in. I would advise anyone who is thinking of staying here to go somewhere, ANYWHERE, else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank BusinessTripper72
Dear Business Tripper72,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Reviewed 6 April 2013

The Manuson Grand purchased the hotel from Crown Plaza and since has not lived up to what they sell, after 30 years of traveling this was probably the worst experience I've ever had, cold food, not staffed properly to take care of customers, chained outer doors because locks don't work, not swept or cleaned. Find another hotel

Room Tip: Get another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank 406DennisW
Dear 406DennisW,

Reviewed 3 April 2013

It had bed bugs, pee stains on the sheets, hair on the sheets, dirty bathrooms, the windows were dirty, the showers, the walls were, and the lights went out. The worsy hotel I have ever been in. It was horrible I recommend that no one ever go to that hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank tiyte
Dear tiyte,

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you can avoid staying here I would at all cost. There are a list of several little things that could be knick picked, but I must say that this hotel is more interested in hosting parties in their event rooms rather than making sure their paying guests are comfortable and happy. Friday night my daughter and I went down to the bar room to have a drink before calling it a night. We were met by folks charging a $10 fee per person to get in. When I asked why hotel guests needed to pay a coverage charge just to have a drink, I was told there was going to be a live band playing. We paid, went to the bar to order, and found several people there without arm bands. I asked if they had to pay and they said no because they were hotel guests. I went back out to the folks collecting the money to inquire and was told that those people would have to either come out, or pay to stay in there. Several minutes later I was given my coverage charge back. Mind you, the majority of the people coming onto the bar room were NOT hotel guests. We were back in our room by 10:30. As the night went on, we put up with loud music from cars, and motorcycles reving up their engines. This went on until after midnight.

Saturday night....yet another party in the conference room. This time, it was a "Pimps and Hoes" party. I kid you not! We were staying on a fourth floor suite overlooking the entrance to the conference room, and the parking. It's midnight and people have loud music playing from their cars. I know this because we could see the people from the party standing around the car. I called the front desk and asked them to please take care of this issue. About 30 minutes past and the music quit. At approxomately 1:30 in the moring, we were awaken, yet again, by loud music that rattled our 4th floor room windows, and motorcycles racing up and down the driveway. Not to mention the crowds of people standing outside talking and cutting a fool. By this time, I was furious and went down to the area myself. A party goer had his motorcycle parked uder the concrete awning, with his music cranked as high as it could go. And he is no where near his bike. It took me expressing a few choice words, and having some given back to me, to make the guy turn the music off. I then made my way to the front desk and said a few more choice words. After returning to my room, the music was gone, but we continued to put up with loud motorcycles racing reving their engines. This went on until 3:00 in the morning.
These party goers were not hotel guests, but yet those of us that were had to put up with this mess the entire weekend. This was the worse experience I have ever had at a hotel, and I have stayed in plenty. Over priced, and over indulged!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon D
Dear Sharon D,

Reviewed 28 February 2013

My husband and I were attending an event the weekend of February 15 - 17th. Making the reservation was an ordeal to begin with. We tried several days in a row with the phone just ringing and ringing. They told us they were having phone problems. Okay, then when we arrived they couldn't find our reservation. After quite a bit of time they found it under my husbands first name and not last. Our room was okay for the price, but the carpet had not been vacuumed in awhile. You don't want to know what we found. The WORST part of the whole weekend took place during our catered event at the hotel. I have NEVER seen such a disaster in my life. Dinner was supposed to start at 6 pm but didn't. They had only 2 girls to serve about 150 people. Salads came out and about 1/2 hour later they started walking around with 1 kind of salad dressing. Some people got rolls, most did not. Well instead of going on and on, which I could, when the main dish did finally come out, it was cold and the portions were very, very small. They were still bringing out plates at 9pm. Hardly anyone ate this disgusting food!!! So at 9:30 pm we found ourselves looking for a place to eat. We will never go to this place AGAIN!

Room Tip: Always get recomendations.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cindy W
Dear Cindy W,

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I know they just took over this hotel, but they need to get their "act" together. Check-in was a challenge, connecting to the internet was a challenge, But the final thing was the appearance of a 3 inch cockroach in my room. Needless to say, I did not stay there after this invasion in my room.

Room Tip: Don't even check-in.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business