“Disappointing”

Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Arlington, Virginia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This hotel was so close to the office complex I was visiting, that I could pass it up. Scheduled a two night stay and had to leave after the first night. Arrived at 6:30 and check went quickly, but there were no other guests around and only about three other cars in the lot. At check in they made me sign a blank reservation acknowledgement, did not review my rates with me and gave absolutely no instructions about the hotel or its supposed amenities. Part of the reason I reserved this hotel was because it had a restaurant in it, only to eventually find out it was only open on the weekend. Given the shoddy check in, I should have run at that point, but I was tired from working all day, had a colleague with me and just wanted to go get some dinner. Then I walked down the hallway. I was hot and the stench was breathtaking. I really just wanted a place to sleep, so I checked the room. The AC was cranked in there, so I guess I thought I could handle it because it was phenomenal compared to the hallway. I'm grew up in area where you stayed in motels or am generally not picky when it comes to hotels. It's just a place to sleep, right?! I promptly went back out of the hotel because I was starving (remember, I couldn't eat there) and got back around 9:30. The hallway was worse than before. I was exhausted and soon ready to crash out of exhaustion. Musty smell was building in the room, but didn't have personal contact information for my colleague so couldn't really abandon. Wireless worked so I could get some work done (the ONLY plus of this place). Crashed around 11, eyes already watering from whatever was spewing out of the AC unit. Well, then I woke up very abruptly at 4:30AM when I rolled over and face planted into a pillow that reeked of puke! Couldn't go back to sleep. On top of that, my eyes were burning and swelled. Clearly mold was coming out of the AC unit since everything was pointing to mold allergy attack. Took an allergy pill and tried to maneuver through the morning to get ready for work. Shower freaked me out and didn't even want to bathe. Coffee maker looked like it would give me something, so skipped that. Slipped a note under my colleagues door that I had some bad experiences and wanted to change hotels, begging him to bring everything with him when he came to work. I left for work by 6 even though I didn't need to be there until 9. When my colleague rolled into work I could tell he was not happy and rested either. He reported general dissatisfaction and soiled linens in his room. I then went back to the hotel at 10AM to talk to the manager. Desk manager was very, very nice at first. She seemed genuinely concerned about what I relaying. I was then told my rate, which I remembered being less, but remember they didn't fill that in on my check in sheet. I asked to speak to the manager. Next thing I know, the person who was there the night before comes out. She apparently wasn't the manager. I actually don't know who the manager was. It could have been the man who bee-lined away form the desk when I started to say upon arrival that I wanted to speak to someone about problems with my rooms. Well, I then was told that I would need to pay and fight about it later. I had booked through Kayak but was paying them directly. They stated there was nothing that could be done or any discount offered. The owner apparently was the only person who could authorize such a thing, he was not there and she refused to call him... and it was apparently not really an option because I had booked through and agent. Exhausted and now even more disgusted I just paid way too much for a horrible room. This hotel certainly does not deserve 3 stars. 2 on a good day, and it was not a good day. Well, I am now picky about hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Christina W
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Christina W,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We booked this hotel through the internet (and received a confirmation number after providing our credit card). When we arrived at the hotel at 9pm, exhausted after a 10 hour drive, we were told that they could not find our room. They made us wait in the lobby for over an hour!

The staff was very friendly but did not seem to have any direction as to what to do with the situation.

Finally, they had not yet straightened out the problem, they gave us a room ... overlooking the garbage bins in the parking lot.

The bathroom was dirty and the air conditioner seemed to be broken and made noise all night. Water damage was also on the ceiling of the room.

They provided us with vouchers for a free breakfast .... the breakfast counter was dirty and there were flies all over the toast.

We have travelled all over and the hotel ranks as one of those that we will never go to again.

Room Tip: Stay at the Richmond Westin just down the road!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Renate - Canada D
Dear Renate,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Shanklin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I came with a group event and the hotel was great! Yes the hotel was a little outdated but the hospitality and service made up for it. I loved how the front desk was so organized and were able to check me in extremely fast even with a whole tour bus of people waiting at the front to check in. I was a little disappointed because there was no hotel brand but it used to be a Crowne Plaza so I was pleased to stay there. I met the manager and he was exceptionally nice, he told me a new owner had taken over the hotel and had changed the hotel from a Crowne Plaza to a less expensive brand called Magnuson. Unlike many other hotels my company has placed me at to stay this was by far the best. The amount of work I was able to get done was amazing. There were no crying babies, no problems outside (fights), and no room problems. As a tip to any people coming to stay at this hotel the 3rd floor is the best for business to actually get done.

Room Tip: When traveling to this hotel any room is fine. The front desk is very nice and the
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 640aroundtheworld640
MGR_Richmond_Grand, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

We appreciate your comments about our hotel. As we are work diligently to improve the quality and service at the Richmond Grand, we are grateful that you took the time to provide feedback.
We look forward to your continued patronage.

Hotel Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Booked this room through our corporate lodging program. When I made the reservation the woman I spoke to (at hotel) acknowledged that they do participate in the program. On arrival I'm told that they don't participate. This issue was resolved once the right hand spoke to the left hand and they got their act together. OK - I can handle this part.

On to the room ... which is at the furthest point away from EVERYthing! First off - the elevator. The buttons worked, but with uneasy delays in contact. I feared being stuck. The temperature in the elevator was over 100 degrees. I was not pleased at all. Looking forward to a bucket of ice and a cold soda ... the ice machine on the 7th floor in the end of the building furthest away from civilization is not functional. This makes the quest for ice more like a scavenger hunt. I'm not into chasing amenities.

Secondly ... the room. Opened the door to an oven. Room temp reading 88 degrees. I turned on the AC and figured within an hour it should be bearable. I was terribly wrong. Being exhausted I fell asleep for a couple hours stretched across a quite comfortable bed. (That was a plus.) On awakening (sweaty and uncomfortable) I find the temp in the room is down to a balmy 78 degrees. That temp is fine for outdoors, but it's not comfortable in a hotel room with no other ventilation. I went out to get a bite to eat thinking that on return the room would surely be cooler. I was wrong ... again. Being an eternal optimist I settled in telling myself the room would cool down by the time I was ready to retire. Yep - this one was my own fault. Lesson learned. Believe me. *STRIKE 1*

At 2:00 AM I called the front desk and asked if they had a fan that I could use to circulate some air in the room. I was told that they didn't have such an option. I explained that the AC was not functioning properly and the room was very uncomfortable. The answer I got was "I'll make a note of it." No offer to change rooms, no apology ... nada. *STRIKE 2*

After a total of 3 hours of very fitful 'sleep' I am up and feeling rather exhausted and irritable. I blame myself for part of this in that I didn't demand another room, but at 2:00 in the morning I wasn't really excited about packing everything up to move around. I just stuck it out knowing that the sun has to come up at some point. It was the lack of concern for guest comfort that stuck in my craw. Being in a customer service oriented industry, I find this most egregious.

In retrospect I'm thinking that my first clue to checking in to a sub-standard property should have been that there was not another car in the parking lot besides 3 employees and mine. Exhaustion caused me to ignore this huge red flag. Shame on me.

By location, this property has the potential to be a huge success. But that's not going to happen if they don't get their act together and spend the necessary dollars to truly update and improve the facilities. My heart is telling me that within a short time this will become yet another one of those failed hotels that had new owners that functioned on the greed standard instead of the customer service standard. Sad. The potential is here. But my gut tells me it will never flourish.

Now - the GOOD things ... there is adequate lighting in the bathroom. There is a wall hung magnifying mirror (for those of us with visual inadequacies), The bed was very comfortable. That's it. That's all that comes to mind in the plus category.

I will never book into this hotel again. I won't chance a second round of misery.

Room Tip: Best tip ... avoid this hotel. There are many others to choose from.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Carol S
Dear Carol S,

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I can tolerate a few little glitches and still give a high rating but this hotel racked up too many:

- The call button for the elevator at one end (it's a long, narrow property) did not work. Had to wait for it to descend.
- The elevator in the middle was out of order altogether
- Ice machine at my end of the building was't working
- My non-smoking room smelled of smoke. I would have changed it but I was pressed for time for an appointment.
- Closet was small and awkward, with the hanger pole running from back to front-very difficult to hang and access clothes.
- the bed sheet had a 5 inch tear.
- the bath soap bar was about three microns thicker than my business card.
- The clock setting button wouldn't work on the bedside clock
- The extensive paved parking lot at the back had tufts of grass growing all over the place in the cracks. It felt like what you would see in a derelict part of a city (this area is not a derelict area of town).
- Heard a family complaining that something didn't work in their room and the management was unresponsive.

On the positive side, the room was large, the bed comfortable, the staff OK friendly, and the room and hallways were clean.

Look at the room rates and then run to a Comfort Inn and get better quality for the same or less money, even with the "manager's discount."

Room Tip: If you are going to park out back–parking fills up quickly along the side–make sure they give you a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank voyager075
Dear voyager075,

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2013

There is a bad odor when you walk into the hotel and only gets worse in the rooms. I stayed in this hotel last night because I booked on Priceline. Today, I tried to get my money back because I continued to be nauseated just thinking about it. I was not able to get anywhere because all of the other sites, i.e., Travelocity, Expedia, including tripadvisor designate this hotel as a 3 star. There is something very fishy going on with the rave reviews on this site and other sites. I will be checking out today, even though I have paid for 3 more nights because I cannot stand to go back there. The hotel probably meets all of the criteria for a 3 star hotel. The hotel is old, not updated at all, but is somewhat clean. Its the bad smell that I just couldn't accommodate.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Karen M
Dear Karen M,

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Used to be crowne plaza ever since the change its not close to crowne plaza in anyway. This should be a motel the only difference us rooms are indoors and theres a indoor pool which is freezing and jacuzzi jets dont work it is lukewarm and you see layers of shedded skin im guessing floating in the water. Def not a 3 star. Old tvs with only 7 to ten channels. Ran out of conditioners they were suposed to supply. Exposed screws. Ac made loud noise. They allow pets now is why im guessing the tiny brown flying bugs. No fridge no microwave. Ice machine didnt work. Ceiling leaking in lobby by front desk where they did have caution sign.front desk manager rude and sarcastic.

• Stayed June 2013