“Don't honor confirmed room rates.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Rochester, New York
“Don't honor confirmed room rates.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Upon arrival hotel said they were going to charge more than was set on the written confirmation the hotel sent to me. They denied they were obligated to honor that rate. They said a different rate was in the contract with the "event" I was attending. The "event" did not make each individual's reservations, each individual staying at the hotel made and confirmed their own reservations. Talk about fraud! The management was nasty, curt, and made no attempt to make any kind of adjustment. At check out I wrote note on my receipt amending the rate, signed it, and asked for a copy. The front desk manager told me I couldn't have a signed copy because "it is illegal to do that."

During our stay two of the five elevators did not work. None of the elevators had operating certificates posted. When that was questioned the management said they were on file in the office. There was no such notice about such a filing in any elevator. Many many of the ice machines did not work, many floors without any working machines. The ceiling in the hall on the 7th floor was falling down. Cockroaches were found crawling around in the ballrooms.

Back door near main elevators is marked "use room key to open after dark," it was never unlocked during the day.

Room service left rooms incomplete not providing clean glasses, changing linens. Maintenance staff left a friends room propped open and occupant suffered a theft.

Definitely, never never never stay here!

2 Thank K D
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear KD,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Attended line dance workshop there. Had been quoted a rate of $73/nt., but they charged $87/nt. plus tax, even though I have the confirmation in writing. Unfortunately, many in our group did not have a written confirmation, so they cannot dispute it through their credit cards. Staff polite, but even refused my request to make me a copy of the bill on which I had written that I had confirmation in writing for $73/nt. rate and was disputing the charge of $87/nt.
Some elevators were not working. Ice maker on our floor was not working entire stay, Thurs.-Sun. 1 of 2 wash rags had large stain in middle. Hallways hot. Mirror had black spot where finish was gone. Internet service in room was spotty at best. Whenever I tried to do anything requiring Internet service, it would stop. Was only able to get a few minute of service in our room the entire time we were there.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jackie H
Dear Jackie H,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Mt Jackson, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Did not honor price quoted. Ice machines do not work. Jacuzzi does not work. Soda machines empty. Bathrooms without toilet paper..No certified elevator certificate. Most elevators not working. Smoking done in stairwells.
There are no refrigerators in rooms as advertised on web site. No coffee, forks, salt and pepper for breakfast. Food was awful. Floors and walls dirty. Bathtub faucet fell apart so had scalding hot water. Rooms smelled funky.
Parking lot full of cracks and weeds.
Worst place I ever stayed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!!!
2 Thank Pat P
Dear Pat P,

North East, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We made reservations for king bed, non-smoking, rooms with small refrigerator a couple months ago for a planned trip traveling with another couple. Upon early arrival at 12:30 P.M. the desk clerk "Stratos" communicated that none of the rooms were ready yet, but had our reservations - "come back in an hour and your rooms will be ready". When we returned in an hour "Stratos" told us those rooms were no longer available. We questioned him regarding what could happen in an hour, especially with early reservations and received a blank stare with no response. Requested to see the manager - Stratos replied that he was the manager. We finally obtained two lower quality rooms with double (not even queen) beds. Most of the elevators posted "out of order" signs, ice machines in the halls were broken, stairwells, doors and frames were dirty - in need of cleaning/ repainting, the indoor pool water was pretty cloudy, the parking lot had large areas of grass growing through the blacktop cracks. The "hot breakfast" on the complimentary buffet was cold. The general condition of the hotel and employee helpfullness has significantly deteriorated in the two years since we last passed thru there. This has become a one star hotel.

Room Tip: Hopefully the Magnuson folks will read the reviews and take corrective measures to return this facil...
4 Thank Dave H
Dear Dave H,

North East, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Third visit to the hotel for a dance workshop. Apparently this is new management; however, we made reservations in April for an August visit- we requested king beds with refrigerators on the 5th floor:(3 rooms) we called ahead to confirm in July and were told refrigerators were on "first come" basis. We arrived at 1:00 for a 3:00 check in - "rooms not ready"; were told to come back in a couple of hours: went to Denney's for lunch (across the street) and came back at 2:00 and were told no refrigerators available! After pressing desk clerk who said he was the manager, he provided us with rooms with refrigerators -it took about 20 minutes to check in (there was only one person at the desk -even though we had others in the group attempting to check in -- we ended up with double beds and a refrigerator that froze the contents even after changing the settings! "included" breakfast was horrible; couldn't eat it! We're moving next year; thanks goodness!BTW: a member of our group had an i-pad stolen from her room on the first day - we took care of our own housekeeping duties during the weekend.

Room Tip: Use the stairs; elevators run rough!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joan H
Dear Joan H,

Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I booked my room online for the hotel. The hotel was chosen because that is where the Line Dance event I was attending was held. Arrived to the hotel to check-in to find a line of about twenty people and only one person behind the desk. The air conditioning is non-existent. After waiting what seemed like an eternity to check-in, it was my turn and lo and behold they didn't have the room I had booked. They tried to put me in a room with two double beds and no refrigerator and microwave. They found me a room with a refrigerator and microwave but made no effort to compensate the difference in the price of the room. Half of the elevators do not work. Got to the room to find it had an awful odor. At least the air conditioning in the room worked. Later found out the room has ants and that the smell had been the exterminator spraying. I would not stay again at this hotel if you paid me to. Avoid this place at all costs.

2 Thank melm212
Dear melm212,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and booked this hotel for one night as a pit-stop during a long road trip. Our main concern was price and at $60 (via priceline) you get what you pay for.

Actually, If we had just checked in when we arrived at 11pm and gone straight to bed, I probably would have rated the hotel as average. The hotel room was large and clean. Bed was a king size and was reasonably comfortable. The only complaint was that even though the AC seemed to be running, the room was very warm which made it difficult to get a good night sleep.

But here comes the bad... When we walked into the lobby we were met by a group of about 10 screaming teenage girls and their enraged parents. The group was there for a traveling sports league and had booked several rooms at the hotel rate ($100+!). The group was trying to cancel their reservation and check out because they found bed bugs in their rooms. Now... we took this with a grain of salt because apparently the girls had pictures on their phones of these insects and I am under the impression that bed bugs can't be seen with the naked eye. Regardless, it was concerning to be checking in the midst of this circus. The group was denied a refund and apparently stayed at the hotel but they were livid and making a huge scene.
We checked in anyway and took the elevator up to our floor. No issues with our ice machine but as other reviewers have said, the elevators sounded like a death trap. We examined the bed and room overall but didn't see any signs of bed bugs or any other creatures. It was unnerving but the room seemed fine to us.

We decided to visit the hotel bar for a drink to relax. It was very... strange. The bartender told us that it was the 1st night the hotel bar/restaurant had been open in over a year because the previous owner did not think it would be profitable. I asked what wine they had by the glass and the bartender pulled out 3 half empty bottles from under the bar. They certainly looked like they had been there for a long time for I ordered a beer instead. Although they had bottles displayed on the shelves, I received a can (for $4...). The bartender had to procure the drinks from the back which was odd. They also left our empty cans in front of us after we ordered another round. The staff was fine, not overly friendly, but not awful. It was just clear they they had absolutely no hospitality training.

Poor management seems to be the overall theme for this hotel. The hotel is huge, but it seems that only part of it is being rented out. Basically it is semi-run down and just kinda sad. But as I said, if we did not witness the circus at check in and did not go to the bar, it would have seemed alright. It was fine for a pit-stop but I would not go back, even at such a cheap rate.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ceraz23
Dear ceraz23,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you that we have analyzed the problems and have taken the necessary actions to make The Magnuson Hotel a different property then what you had experienced. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Hotel I-64 Richmond
#49 of 81 in Richmond
BEST WESTERN Executive Hotel
Residence Inn Richmond West End
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!