“Behind the Curtain”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I'm going to try to be nice, only because some of the people here are very nice. At first entry the hotel looks modern and the room is quite clean and comfortable. That should be enough for some people. The staff are well trained and very pleasant. Here's the thing: This hotel has recently been bought by private owners who, by all opinions I've heard, can't afford it. This is a big convention hotel that used to be the Crown Plaza. At first blush I should have been skeptical. The sign out front on one side welcomes the line dancing festival of Virginia. On the other side it promotes "smoking pet rooms" (WTW?). Also the back parking lot appears to have been victim of a nuclear holocaust. Still the people and the room is nice so I forge on. I should tell you that I'm staying here for several weeks while my house is renovated so this is not an inexperienced observation. Day four of my stay, the Direct TV goes out and remains out at the time of this writing. Some rather out spoken breakfast companions confirmed my opinion that the bill has not been paid. There were no weather events to cause it and what company with competitors lets their service be down in a hotel for multiple days? On inquiry we've received various reasons and finally they just offer a discount. Breakfast is always interesting. They move it around daily and seem to offer whatever they have found on final clearance at the super market. The most troubling things have been the presumed owners. The man walks around policing the place to ensure that no one abuses the paltry offerings. The woman screams at the poor employee who has to lay out the mere morsels they provide. Today there was a well fed cockroach feasting in the middle of the floor on some spilled catchup. For reasons that defy logic they offer periodically hard boiled eggs or scrambled egg whites. The tried and true regular scrambled eggs are never on the menu. Be prepared to be surprised! Then there is the pool. As my s/o put it: If there insurance company finds out about this, they are in trouble. The ladder is loose. The hot tub is more of a vat with holes and two jets that work. I here the treadmills don't work, but I haven't first hand tried them. Oh and the wireless, There are about seven different connections all that offer at most two bars of strength, I better end this before it cuts me off. Have fun.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank fanSXM
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear fanSXM,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Overall it was ok just to sleep in. However I will not do it again. Weird smell throughout almost smelled like a combo of curry and body odor. We had a king room and bed wasnt comfortable and there was no fridge in the room. There was also advertised free breakfast but there was none. Floors were not cleaned throughout hotel. No Ac in halls or elevators. Enter at your own risk.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank chch88

Dear chch88,

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Upon arrival hotel said they were going to charge more than was set on the written confirmation the hotel sent to me. They denied they were obligated to honor that rate. They said a different rate was in the contract with the "event" I was attending. The "event" did not make each individual's reservations, each individual staying at the hotel made and confirmed their own reservations. Talk about fraud! The management was nasty, curt, and made no attempt to make any kind of adjustment. At check out I wrote note on my receipt amending the rate, signed it, and asked for a copy. The front desk manager told me I couldn't have a signed copy because "it is illegal to do that."

During our stay two of the five elevators did not work. None of the elevators had operating certificates posted. When that was questioned the management said they were on file in the office. There was no such notice about such a filing in any elevator. Many many of the ice machines did not work, many floors without any working machines. The ceiling in the hall on the 7th floor was falling down. Cockroaches were found crawling around in the ballrooms.

Back door near main elevators is marked "use room key to open after dark," it was never unlocked during the day.

Room service left rooms incomplete not providing clean glasses, changing linens. Maintenance staff left a friends room propped open and occupant suffered a theft.

Definitely, never never never stay here!

2  Thank K D

Dear KD,

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Attended line dance workshop there. Had been quoted a rate of $73/nt., but they charged $87/nt. plus tax, even though I have the confirmation in writing. Unfortunately, many in our group did not have a written confirmation, so they cannot dispute it through their credit cards. Staff polite, but even refused my request to make me a copy of the bill on which I had written that I had confirmation in writing for $73/nt. rate and was disputing the charge of $87/nt.
Some elevators were not working. Ice maker on our floor was not working entire stay, Thurs.-Sun. 1 of 2 wash rags had large stain in middle. Hallways hot. Mirror had black spot where finish was gone. Internet service in room was spotty at best. Whenever I tried to do anything requiring Internet service, it would stop. Was only able to get a few minute of service in our room the entire time we were there.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackie H

Dear Jackie H,

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Did not honor price quoted. Ice machines do not work. Jacuzzi does not work. Soda machines empty. Bathrooms without toilet paper..No certified elevator certificate. Most elevators not working. Smoking done in stairwells.
There are no refrigerators in rooms as advertised on web site. No coffee, forks, salt and pepper for breakfast. Food was awful. Floors and walls dirty. Bathtub faucet fell apart so had scalding hot water. Rooms smelled funky.
Parking lot full of cracks and weeds.
Worst place I ever stayed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else !!!!
2  Thank Pat P

Dear Pat P,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We made reservations for king bed, non-smoking, rooms with small refrigerator a couple months ago for a planned trip traveling with another couple. Upon early arrival at 12:30 P.M. the desk clerk "Stratos" communicated that none of the rooms were ready yet, but had our reservations - "come back in an hour and your rooms will be ready". When we returned in an hour "Stratos" told us those rooms were no longer available. We questioned him regarding what could happen in an hour, especially with early reservations and received a blank stare with no response. Requested to see the manager - Stratos replied that he was the manager. We finally obtained two lower quality rooms with double (not even queen) beds. Most of the elevators posted "out of order" signs, ice machines in the halls were broken, stairwells, doors and frames were dirty - in need of cleaning/ repainting, the indoor pool water was pretty cloudy, the parking lot had large areas of grass growing through the blacktop cracks. The "hot breakfast" on the complimentary buffet was cold. The general condition of the hotel and employee helpfullness has significantly deteriorated in the two years since we last passed thru there. This has become a one star hotel.

Room Tip: Hopefully the Magnuson folks will read the reviews and take corrective measures to return this facil...
4  Thank Dave H

Dear Dave H,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Third visit to the hotel for a dance workshop. Apparently this is new management; however, we made reservations in April for an August visit- we requested king beds with refrigerators on the 5th floor:(3 rooms) we called ahead to confirm in July and were told refrigerators were on "first come" basis. We arrived at 1:00 for a 3:00 check in - "rooms not ready"; were told to come back in a couple of hours: went to Denney's for lunch (across the street) and came back at 2:00 and were told no refrigerators available! After pressing desk clerk who said he was the manager, he provided us with rooms with refrigerators -it took about 20 minutes to check in (there was only one person at the desk -even though we had others in the group attempting to check in -- we ended up with double beds and a refrigerator that froze the contents even after changing the settings! "included" breakfast was horrible; couldn't eat it! We're moving next year; thanks goodness!BTW: a member of our group had an i-pad stolen from her room on the first day - we took care of our own housekeeping duties during the weekend.

Room Tip: Use the stairs; elevators run rough!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business