“Overcharged” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Williamsburg, VA
“Overcharged”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Fortunately I only stayed there one night. When I reserved the room was quoted a price actually a little lower than one stated on a line dance festival flyer, but upon checking in the price was $14 higher. Clerk assured us would be straighten out before actually billed to my credit card. The price quoted was suppose to include the breakfast buffet, but I was also charge double the fee for one person in the room. My room was clean and sufficient, but the breakfast buffet was not plentiful or staffed to serve a large group. The airconditioning was not working in one of the ballrooms or halls. The hotel was rundown and I would strongly discourage anyone for using it for a convention. When I did received my credit card bill, discovered was charged additional $10 !! Called assuming they would adjust the bill, but only got a rude man that said hotels can charge an additional $50 for incidentials (?)

2 Thank shopperinva
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear shopperinva,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I had a confirmed reservation and reservation number from the hotel via email with a rate per day. When I got to the hotel I was told they would NOT honor the rate THEY had confirmed to me. I was told I could talk with the Manager about it, however the manager was NEVER available. They charged me $14 more per night than my confirmed reservation amount. I wrote the manager a detailed letter requesting a refund of the overcharged amount and I also phoned after two weeks (to give him a chance to credit my card) to talk with him. He did not respond to my letter or my phone call. I will dispute the charge with my credit card company and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Richmond regarding this matter.

NOW on to the quality of the hotel. It was dismal! My room's shower drain was so clogged with disgusting stuff it wouldn't drain (yes I was standing in inches deep water when I showered the first time.) I was told they couldn't get anyone to my room to clean it up so they gave me a key to a room down the hall where I could shower. (Let me say the front desk staff were very nice and tried to be helpful and this was the only solution they could come up with--so I accepted it.) A little odd to go 'down the hall' to shower in the morning, but at least that shower drained. NEXT the air conditioning unit in my room was so loud it was impossible to sleep. AND...the whole hotel has a funny odor--like maybe they've had water/mildew/mold problems. IN ADDITION, the elevators were awful. A number of them weren't working at different times, NONE of the ones I used had those safety inspection notices (I know at least one person got 'stuck' on an elevator that weekend). LASTLY The 'free included hot buffet breakfast' and I write 'hot and buffet' tongue in cheek, was pitiful. Cold eggs, stale bread...yuck! Even though breakfast was 'included' I went out to eat breakfast one day just to get a decent meal.

One good note, I will say the front desk staff were kind and apologetic, but they really couldn't solve any of the issues.

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again and would STRONGLY encourage anyone considering a stay there to seriously re-evaluate.

5 Thank Jackee K
Dear Jackee K,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I'm going to try to be nice, only because some of the people here are very nice. At first entry the hotel looks modern and the room is quite clean and comfortable. That should be enough for some people. The staff are well trained and very pleasant. Here's the thing: This hotel has recently been bought by private owners who, by all opinions I've heard, can't afford it. This is a big convention hotel that used to be the Crown Plaza. At first blush I should have been skeptical. The sign out front on one side welcomes the line dancing festival of Virginia. On the other side it promotes "smoking pet rooms" (WTW?). Also the back parking lot appears to have been victim of a nuclear holocaust. Still the people and the room is nice so I forge on. I should tell you that I'm staying here for several weeks while my house is renovated so this is not an inexperienced observation. Day four of my stay, the Direct TV goes out and remains out at the time of this writing. Some rather out spoken breakfast companions confirmed my opinion that the bill has not been paid. There were no weather events to cause it and what company with competitors lets their service be down in a hotel for multiple days? On inquiry we've received various reasons and finally they just offer a discount. Breakfast is always interesting. They move it around daily and seem to offer whatever they have found on final clearance at the super market. The most troubling things have been the presumed owners. The man walks around policing the place to ensure that no one abuses the paltry offerings. The woman screams at the poor employee who has to lay out the mere morsels they provide. Today there was a well fed cockroach feasting in the middle of the floor on some spilled catchup. For reasons that defy logic they offer periodically hard boiled eggs or scrambled egg whites. The tried and true regular scrambled eggs are never on the menu. Be prepared to be surprised! Then there is the pool. As my s/o put it: If there insurance company finds out about this, they are in trouble. The ladder is loose. The hot tub is more of a vat with holes and two jets that work. I here the treadmills don't work, but I haven't first hand tried them. Oh and the wireless, There are about seven different connections all that offer at most two bars of strength, I better end this before it cuts me off. Have fun.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fanSXM
Dear fanSXM,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Overall it was ok just to sleep in. However I will not do it again. Weird smell throughout almost smelled like a combo of curry and body odor. We had a king room and bed wasnt comfortable and there was no fridge in the room. There was also advertised free breakfast but there was none. Floors were not cleaned throughout hotel. No Ac in halls or elevators. Enter at your own risk.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank chch88
Dear chch88,

Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Upon arrival hotel said they were going to charge more than was set on the written confirmation the hotel sent to me. They denied they were obligated to honor that rate. They said a different rate was in the contract with the "event" I was attending. The "event" did not make each individual's reservations, each individual staying at the hotel made and confirmed their own reservations. Talk about fraud! The management was nasty, curt, and made no attempt to make any kind of adjustment. At check out I wrote note on my receipt amending the rate, signed it, and asked for a copy. The front desk manager told me I couldn't have a signed copy because "it is illegal to do that."

During our stay two of the five elevators did not work. None of the elevators had operating certificates posted. When that was questioned the management said they were on file in the office. There was no such notice about such a filing in any elevator. Many many of the ice machines did not work, many floors without any working machines. The ceiling in the hall on the 7th floor was falling down. Cockroaches were found crawling around in the ballrooms.

Back door near main elevators is marked "use room key to open after dark," it was never unlocked during the day.

Room service left rooms incomplete not providing clean glasses, changing linens. Maintenance staff left a friends room propped open and occupant suffered a theft.

Definitely, never never never stay here!

2 Thank K D
Dear KD,

Surfside Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Attended line dance workshop there. Had been quoted a rate of $73/nt., but they charged $87/nt. plus tax, even though I have the confirmation in writing. Unfortunately, many in our group did not have a written confirmation, so they cannot dispute it through their credit cards. Staff polite, but even refused my request to make me a copy of the bill on which I had written that I had confirmation in writing for $73/nt. rate and was disputing the charge of $87/nt.
Some elevators were not working. Ice maker on our floor was not working entire stay, Thurs.-Sun. 1 of 2 wash rags had large stain in middle. Hallways hot. Mirror had black spot where finish was gone. Internet service in room was spotty at best. Whenever I tried to do anything requiring Internet service, it would stop. Was only able to get a few minute of service in our room the entire time we were there.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jackie H
Dear Jackie H,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Hotel I-64 Richmond
#49 of 81 in Richmond
BEST WESTERN Executive Hotel
Residence Inn Richmond West End
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!