“Ripoff”

Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Ames, Iowa
“Ripoff”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My family and I spent 2 nights here in 4 different rooms. There was a lot of confusion with the same last name, staggered arrivals, and new staff training at the hotel. But at checkout, the hotel insisted we had stayed in 5 rooms. After a lengthy discussion, they agreed it was only 4 and refunded the overpayment. But then after we were gone, they reapplied the overcharge!

We have contacted the hotel multiple times to resolve the issue, they are not interested in making it right. Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel are better than rooms in this one!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Jim R
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

After reading the reviews here I called with concerns because I am attending a conference here. The young lady that answered the phone, Ashley, was very helpful and addressed my concerns the best way she could. I called back when I noticed that the rate had dropped $29 for the nights I was staying, and different lady answered and was resistant to help. When I told her that I had concerns because of what was posted in words, details, and pictures on the website just this month, she told me about the inspection certificate from Henrico County received and posted. I asked her if I could read a review to her, and she said no and hung up the phone! Not only that but I tried to call back and no one answered. I contacted the closest reputable and clean hotel where I had stayed before (The Westin) and the manager was aware of issues at the Magnuson. He was very sympathetic, and even though they were booked for one of my nights, he suggested that I contact the Hampton Inn (a couple of blocks away) for a room. He also told me to check back tomorrow for cancellation for Friday night and he would get me in. The Hampton Inn manager gave me more background on his experience with the Magnuson and was gracious in accommodating me. He has had issues contacting management there as well. I have never had such an experience with a hotel, and Richmond chain hotels tend to be reputable, clean, and friendly - low to high-end. I will NOT stay at the Magnuson Grand, because I fear the only thing grand going on here is consumer deception. Check the pictures from other visitors. Only the nice front desk person, Ashley, and the fact that I have not seen the place (I will Thursday) allows me to give this a "Poor" instead of "Terrible" rating. If I find anything different after the three day conference, I will update my post.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank tjtyger

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

NC
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The pics on the website made this look like a great hotel to stay in. I thought I was getting a fabulous deal at half off per night. My disappointment started the minute I pulled into the parking lot. It was overgrown with weeds. The lobby had a funny odor. The hallways were dingy and dark. There were mysterious sticky stains on the bedroom floor. A cockroach awaited me in the bathroom (there was a second dead one in the closet). There was cockroach poop all over the bathroom counter, and dust as well. The shower curtain had mold on it. The smoke detector was hanging off the wall. The ceiling was crumbling and peeling. The AC barely worked (felt like there was no AC in the hallways). Upon checking out the staff asked how everything was. I told them it didn't look like the website. Their reply was "those photos are from the old management, we haven't updated it yet." Ok, I get that...but the main rotating images on the home page are NOT that hotel at all. It's basically false advertising to present a nice clean hotel on the website and to arrive at a roach motel dump. This was also my first time using expedia.com and I am hesitant to use it again.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here. Pick a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Rene25313
Dear Rene25313,

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Upon check in I was informed that the television system was down, and for the trouble, they were serving a full breakfast. I was put in room 301. Upon entering there was a live bug on the floor of the bathroom. It had many legs, and I went to the front desk and was moved to room 518 with no problem. Later on that evening I tried using the room telephone, which didn't work. Might I also add, had 2 long black hairs on the mouthpiece and ear piece. I am bald, traveling alone and knew it wasn't mine. I walked to the front desk and informed them about the phone. The young girl took my concern down and said she would pass it along. I returned to my room, got my ice bucket and went to the ice machine on the 5th floor. It didn't work. I returned to my room and thought I would go swimming. I stopped by the front desk and informed the same girl about the ice machine and was looking forward to the whirlpool. When I tried to turn on the jets of the whirlpool ...it was broken. By this time I knew I was in a disaster property. I went to bed, which was very comfortable and slept quite well. In the morning I went into the bathroom to make a pot of coffee and when I looked into the stainless steel pot there was another live bug with many legs crawling around wanting to get out. When I turned on the shower and pulled up the divirter half of the water came out the spout, and the other half out of the shower head. I got dressed and took the coffee pot with me to turn it into the front desk. The same young girl was working, which surprised me. I told her everything described above and she gave me a business card and wrote the name Dirk on the back. She asked me to call him the next morning. I left the front desk and went to the dining room, but did not feel comfortable eating anything prepared in the kitchen because I knew the bug problem was wide spread. I found some yogurt that was sealed. I then wanted to get a cup of coffee..but it was empty. By this time I had given up and just walked out of the hotel...telling the front desk lady about the coffee. I travel often and knew there wasn't anything that could or would be done for my horrible experience. Plus I booked on Expedia, which I will be working with them regarding the deplorable conditions.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank EbonyOnly
Dear Ebony Only,

Portsmouth, Virginia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Yesterday, I attended a conference here and the air conditioning was out. The temparature was over 90 degrees inside the Hotel I spent the day and there was no relief. The sound system was terrible. The muffins provided in the morning were excellent and the lunchoen was spagetti and sald (no bread) was good. With no relief even by afternoon, I was soaked. This is sad. Many years ao this was a nice place and it so different now.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank JayB1r
Dear JayB1r,

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had an event here, with an included guest room as part of the event. They STILL charged us, as well as our guest. It took MONTHS of emails and telephone calls to be refunded the $126 we were charged twice for (we had a signed contract for the first time). I had to go in person to finally get the refund, where I was cussed out by the general manager. I am not kidding. THE WORST. EVER!

Room Tip: They say they are smoke free, but the Marquee says they have both smoking AND pet rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bcarreras
Dear bcarreras.

Herndon, VA
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was, by far, the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Granted, it was probably cleaner and perhaps safer than some of the motels and hostels I've stayed in in my time, but the overall experience could not have been worse.

The worst part was that upon checkout, I left a pair of earrings in the bathroom. Within one hour, I realized and called the hotel but they had already been stolen.

All of the complaints below were addressed directly with general manager, Mr. Patel, who did nothing but offer me a room switch (which would not have solved half the issues).

1. I called before booking to ask about breakfast. I was assured that a hot breakfast was including with the cost of the room. Actually, it is a cold breakfast and costs $6 per person.

2. However, because the TVs had been "broken" (or not paid for?) since at least Aug. 18, according to other reviews, a hot "breakfast" was included. The breakfast was not appetizing. We ate breakfast out each morning. The TVs were "broken" the entire length of our stay.

3. When I checked in, the air conditioning was not on (it was above 90F outside) and the room was sweltering. I had to turn the AC on and spend 3 hours outside the room before I could comfortably stay in.

4. The toilet ran the entire time we were there. Loudly.

5. The elevator trapped me inside. I found out later that you have to push extremely hard for several of the buttons to work.

6. The WiFi did not connect. I tried on 4 separate devices from both the lobby and my room.

7. My phone was broken in my room.

8. There were exposed outlets in my room. I have pictures, which I showed to Mr. Patel. He did not seem to worry about it.

9. Zero of the three treadmills in the fitness area worked. And the thermostat was set to 79 in there.

10. When I called and reported my earrings missing, Mr. Patel flat out refused to speak with me. One of the people I spoke with on the phone told me that he would leave a message with Mr. Patel but that "he would never call me back." This person was the only one who attempted to help me and I can't help but assume he knows something about the whereabouts of my earrings. Three days after the incident he no longer works at the Magnuson. I reported the earrings to the hotel and Mr. Patel lied to the police who visited the establishment, claiming he'd never heard of me when in fact I spoke directly with him and he supposedly talked to the housekeeper responsible for my room as well as the housekeeping manager when I called about my earrings the first time.

The following issues were not discussed with Mr. Patel at the time of my stay but I believe are relevant:

A) The pool/hot tub area was dirty and dangerous. There were puddles of standing water that did not get cleaned up the entire length of my stay.

B) There were condoms and trash in the stairwells (which we took up and down to the 4th floor every day for fear of getting trapped in the elevator again).

C) The parking lot is cracked and full of weeds.

D) I got several bug bites during my stay. I did not spend a significant amount of time outside, but it is impossible for me to prove that I got them at the hotel. Nor am I sure whether they are bedbugs, mosquitos, fleas, or something else completely.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jennie W
Dear Jennie,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
Best Western Executive Hotel
Econo Lodge-Broad St
Econo Lodge-Broad St
#55 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!