“Manager was very kind”

Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Manager was very kind”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at the Richmond Magnuson last weekend on a business trip. The room was very nice and comfortable. The rates were reasonable. I had to go to another hotel for a conference And since it was a short distance away no taxi wanted to take me. The manager offered for one of their employees to drive me there. That meant a lot to me. Looking forward to staying there again.
Neila Gobin

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mgmt-GuestServices, Director of Sales at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank for your choosing Richmond Magnuson Grand (RMG) because there were so many other places to choose here in Richmond. We have currently hired to great people ... our Front Office Manager and Sales Manager. They are both dedicated to enhancing the full guest experience from check-in to check-out, so thank you for noticing the change and posting your review. We hope to see you next time you in the Richmond area. Change is Coming!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'm sorry to be writing this review because the people at the front desk were very nice, but the second I went into my hotel room I saw a HUGE live bug clinging to the curtains - I killed it and then put my suitcase in the bathtub because the room looked dirty and the carpet was stained. I found ANOTHER bug on the shower wall and killed it. I pulled back the covers on the bed and saw people's hair (not mine) and something else that was stuck to the sheets that I couldn't identify (old noodle??). Under the mattress was an abundance of crumbles of food/nut shells/candy wrappers from previous guests. I was so disgusted I slept in my clothes and used my jacket for a pillow (contemplated sleeping in the bathtub but it didn't look any cleaner), didn't even take a shower in the morning, and washed everything the second I got home just in case any bugs from the Magnuson hotel decided to hop a ride home with me. Nothing in this hotel was clean. There were only a few cars in the parking lot of the HUGE hotel, so that should have been a clue that something was amiss. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future the hotel was closed down due to inspection. I did not even contemplate eating the complimentary breakfast. Again, I'm sorry to write this because the people at the front desk were nice but I feel a need to warn others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Simone S
First, we do appreciate you choosing us and giving us the opportunity. I do apologize for the cleanliness of the room. That is definitely unacceptable. We have hired a new Front Office Manager who is keen on quality and cleanliness. He has hired some great housekeepers, so we know that changes are being made. We also have regularly scheduled pest control services to control those issues. If you were to stay with us again, I guarantee a different experience. If you are in the Richmond area, consider giving us a 2nd chance to provide the quality you deserve. Change has Come!

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The hotel is horrible! Run down, mold and mildew in rooms and hallways, no certificates in elevators, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. Hallways have no air conditioning. Rooms are old and dirty. We had an event there and we're told the day we showed up for the event by the owner, that the air conditioning for the ballroom was not working because thieves just stole the unit from the roof! Total BS. We were told by employee's that it hasn't worked in many months. Owner pretends to be different managers when we talked to him prior to the event. Very shady and a total liar. Do NOT go to this hotel, the worst experience ever!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank picaso32
Thank you for your choosing us to host your event, and posting your review. We don't know what things we need to change unless we hear from our guests, so thank you. I do, however, apologize for your experience here at Richmond Magnuson Grand. We have made some changes since your experience. The General Manager had taken on too many hats. He has now hired a Front Office Manager dedicated to quality, and a Sales Manager committed to providing for the full service experience from a single guest to all groups. We have tackled those maintenance issues with an experienced hotel engineer. Once again, thank you for letting us know what changes we needed to make to provide our future guests a better experience. Change is Here!
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We came here based on reviews and the pictures on the hotel website. 1) Grand is a misleading title. We must have been booked in the rooms where pictures weren't taken. 2) Our room was very dated, poor water pressure in shower and very noisy air conditioner. 3) interior of elevators were in desperate need of a cleaning and our floor's hallway smelled damp and also in need of a deep carpet shampooing. There must be a special set of rooms where those that wrote better reviews stayed. 4) Front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Ed G
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Ed G,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel.Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Clean rooms and bathrooms, fabulous price, hotel is centrally located to everything. Front desk staff members were very nice. All things considered, a delightful weekend in Richmond. We didn't use the pool, so we can't comment. A good value for the price!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

stayed here 3 times in the past few months. staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were
clean, and the hotel is located close to stores and restaurants. It also as a pool and hot tub
which is great for bringing your family and kids to enjoy while away at work. I had a issue with the
cable but as soon as i called down to the front desk the staff had it taken care of right away
so i have no complaints and i would recommend anyone to stay here

Room Tip: I would recommend sleeping on the 5th floor, not alot of noise and very quite
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jahari m
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

POOR POOR Customer Service- Smelly, very poor maintenance- where are the shampooers and vacuums?
I booked this hotel 10/17/13 from online (not from Trip Advisor) based on the basic rating of 3 and for the cost.
Did not know the ratings were skewed by the online company.
To begin- from the moment I drove into the parking area I wondered if the place was abandoned due to the High grass, trash and overall lack of maintenance. Giving the benefit of the doubt I proceeded to check-in. The front door windows were dirty, the entrance rugs were filthy (not raining) and the lobby smell was uninviting. The lobby ceiling had cracks and showed evidence of a water leak.

Once I did speak with the front desk clerk (she was very unfriendly) after waiting 10 mins. NOT Checking-In- I asked for a REFUND. She stated I was 15mins too late and could not receive a refund- I needed to speak to a manager. Waited another 10-15 mins for the manager to return to work. Asked for a refund. I was told I needed to call the Online agent for a refund or credit but I was too late to receive a refund from their end. I explained to the manager that I would need to call the Richmond City Code Enforcement to inspect the hotel for violations. The manager stated that he did not care if I called President Obama, I was not getting a refund...Nasty character!!!.
Being that I was in Richmond on business I was not prepared to pay for another hotel.,,but I went looking anyway, hoping to find another hotel I could afford. I had to end up going back to that RAT HOLE!! It does not matter how much a hotel cost when it comes to cleanliness and customer service... there is no excuse for poor management on any level. I could write for an hour on my horrible experience. The customer photos currently posted are TRUE!!! DO NOT spend a dime on this place. The Airport chairs or a campground would be nicer. To be honest the beds were ok. the rest is a NO!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank d2yadah
Dear d2yadah,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
#49 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
WoodSpring Suites Richmond West
Best Western Executive Hotel
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!