“Pool?”

Ranked #74 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Pool?”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

So my daughter turned 5, and she wanted to have a vacation weekend at a hotel with an indoor pool. I went online and found this hotel and on the website it stated that there was an indoor pool. So the reservation was made and we headed up to Richmond for what should have been a great weekend. I was very displeased when I entered the lobby to check in to hear that the pool was under renovations. A little bit of info that would have been nice to know BEFORE I made the reservations. Now the hotel will not reimburse me because I didn't spend the night there and I should have cancelled 24 hours prior. I was quite surprised that they epected me to stay when it was their false advertisement (or lack of advertisement of the renovations) that made me not stay there. It had been a nightmare to get a simple $80 dollars returned. Well, this has left a bad taste in my mouth and will never even consider this hotel, or the use of hotels.com again. Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 875tonys
rpeters69, General Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for staying at the Magnuson Hotel. I apologize that the pool was not open during your stay. We had to remodel the area and unfortunately during this time, all websites did not have the updated information. The pool is now open year round as well as our jacuzzi. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I currently stayed at this hotel and my experience was horrible. The ac/heat did not work probably. The management staff was so unprofessional and the parking lot lights wasn’t working or turn off upon my arrival. (not safe for guest). The only good part about my stay was the night auditor person, he was polite, helpful, and well manner. (Also please speak this the Indian race manager, because she was very rude and unprofessional), she has a smart attitude and non-management skills, (my rate for her is a 1 on the scale). The rooms was horrible, and the rooms wasn’t like the ad I saw on the website. Please hire about management staff so that this hotel can be ran probably. As a guest and a manager I didn’t received a 100% service like I should have, I will never stay there again if things doesn’t improve.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Scott E
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I am sincerely concerned that we fell short under the time that I have been overseeing the property and will take the necessary actions that this does not happen in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We were very comfortable in this hotel. The pool and spa were closed, but we knew that before we came. The heater in the room worked well and was quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets clean. Since I am allergic to scents, they responded to my need for a scent-free room. It is obvious that this hotel is revamping itself, a little at a time. They are working on opening one of the restaurants as a Sports Bar. They gave excellent recommendations for restaurants and were very friendly. It's obvious that the new management is working hard to bring the hotel back to its former glory. I would definitely stay here again. In fact we stayed an extra night due to severe weather.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AMB9486
Thank you for your kind compliments. We are currently striving to improve service and the conditions of the hotel. Thank you again.
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This hotel now looks like a haunted house. The management was excellent and was better run when it was Crown Plaza. AC does not work, heating does not work. I am going to get a complaint filed with the Henrico County's inspections department. How can a county like Henrico allow such a lousy management to operate the hotel. The management is horrible, the lady at the front desk has no manners and cannot speak a word in English.

On top of the awful nightmare at the hotel, I now see unexplained charges on my CC statement. This hotel is run by crooks interested in stealing your hard earned money.

Recommendation to all who are looking to stay here, so some place else! Why risk your vacation or a good night's sleep. There are cheaper places elsewhere where your safety is at least guaranteed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank TRIP6425
Dear Trip6425,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Upon driving into your parking lot, the place looked abandon and was kinda sketchy about staying there.. also the advertised lounge, indoor pool and spa were all closed for repair per the front desk people..so we were pretty disappointed with that fact.. I had told the Expedia agent I had stayed there years ago when it was a holiday inn and asked her to verify they still had a lounge and she did check for me and confirmed they still had a lounge..
First I'd like to say your staff was very friendly ..They really went out of their way to be helpful!
Our first room, the heat did not work, so the front deck person escorted us to another room and called when she went back to the front desk to make sure all was ok with the new room. ..the wall paper was pealing, and the furniture and tv were old style with limited number of channels , but functional and comfortable. again, I would say it was just below average for what I am use to staying in, but friendly and nice
..(bathroom fan and heater fan both were very noisy, I actually got up in the middle of the night and turn the heat off.)

Room Tip: I would call the front desk to make sure everything is working before reserving a room there
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank sterling S
Mgmt-GuestServices, Front Office Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to accommodate you on your visit to Richmond. I am glad to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you received the personal service you did receive from our front desk agent. I do apologize however for the pool and lounge. We are recently under new management and some improvements needed to be made. The lounge and the pool were in that list so we can ensure that we provide the full exceptional experience when you visit us. We have a new management team that is dedicated to giving the full experience from the time you enter the parking lot until the time you check out. Thank you again for your candid survey and keep us in mind when you come back to Richmond because Change Is Coming!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at the Richmond Magnuson last weekend on a business trip. The room was very nice and comfortable. The rates were reasonable. I had to go to another hotel for a conference And since it was a short distance away no taxi wanted to take me. The manager offered for one of their employees to drive me there. That meant a lot to me. Looking forward to staying there again.
Neila Gobin

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Mgmt-GuestServices, Director of Sales at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank for your choosing Richmond Magnuson Grand (RMG) because there were so many other places to choose here in Richmond. We have currently hired to great people ... our Front Office Manager and Sales Manager. They are both dedicated to enhancing the full guest experience from check-in to check-out, so thank you for noticing the change and posting your review. We hope to see you next time you in the Richmond area. Change is Coming!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I'm sorry to be writing this review because the people at the front desk were very nice, but the second I went into my hotel room I saw a HUGE live bug clinging to the curtains - I killed it and then put my suitcase in the bathtub because the room looked dirty and the carpet was stained. I found ANOTHER bug on the shower wall and killed it. I pulled back the covers on the bed and saw people's hair (not mine) and something else that was stuck to the sheets that I couldn't identify (old noodle??). Under the mattress was an abundance of crumbles of food/nut shells/candy wrappers from previous guests. I was so disgusted I slept in my clothes and used my jacket for a pillow (contemplated sleeping in the bathtub but it didn't look any cleaner), didn't even take a shower in the morning, and washed everything the second I got home just in case any bugs from the Magnuson hotel decided to hop a ride home with me. Nothing in this hotel was clean. There were only a few cars in the parking lot of the HUGE hotel, so that should have been a clue that something was amiss. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future the hotel was closed down due to inspection. I did not even contemplate eating the complimentary breakfast. Again, I'm sorry to write this because the people at the front desk were nice but I feel a need to warn others.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Simone S
First, we do appreciate you choosing us and giving us the opportunity. I do apologize for the cleanliness of the room. That is definitely unacceptable. We have hired a new Front Office Manager who is keen on quality and cleanliness. He has hired some great housekeepers, so we know that changes are being made. We also have regularly scheduled pest control services to control those issues. If you were to stay with us again, I guarantee a different experience. If you are in the Richmond area, consider giving us a 2nd chance to provide the quality you deserve. Change has Come!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
Speco Hotels Richmond
#51 of 81 in Richmond
Candlewood Suites Richmond - West Broad
Residence Inn Richmond West End
WoodSpring Suites Richmond West
Best Western Executive Hotel
Extended Stay America - Richmond - W. Broad Street - Glenside - North

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!