“There are PLENTY of better places to stay”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 17 February 2014

In the past, enjoyed staying at this hotel when it was a Crown Plaza. Now, this place is a total joke and should not even be allowed to be operating at this point. The heat did not work in either room we were given to try for the night, the Ice makers and vending did not work, the hallways were frozen as the heat was obviously turned off there as well, the parking lot lights were not working. There's more to the list, this is just the highlight of things wrong with our attempted stay, it was so bad we simply had to get our things and leave. Save yourself the agony and book at any of the other hotels in the area, the owners and management of this 'hotel' should be ashamed of the business they are running.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZosoA
rpeters69, General Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear ZosoA. Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the issues you had and the condition of the property. We are currently working to change the "hotel culture" to ensure customer service is the utmost importance. We hope you give us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

If you don't have a choice or you want to stay on a budget, you need to expand it. But, if you absolutely have to stay at this hotel, ignore the pictures you see on their website. The amount of misrepresentation on their website should be illegal. Looking at their website, you have glass showers, state of the art fixtures, and a bed that a King and Queen would enjoy reproducing in. This is the exact opposite of what you will actually see if you stay here. Its not bad; normal bed, normal bathroom, normal tube tv, all with normal problems. I am not sure how they make the bath towels smell like maple syrup, either. No mini fridge or microwave, you have to fork out money each day for them. When I asked the desk attendant why, their response was, "Yeah, they are that kind of hotel." It doesn't even sound like the employees are behind the hotel they work for. This hotel will nickel and dime you for anything extra, which is not a surprise why the parking lot, which is very large, was practically empty every night I stayed here. I only stayed because I wasn't paying for it. The only positive things I can say is all the employees I interacted were friendly and the rooms were fairly clean. I was presently surprised to not have bed bug bites all over me and to find myself alone in my room. There are plenty of better hotels in better locations. They probably took the pictures on their website from the Embassy Suites just up the road. This hotel is sure on its way out already. Make a smart choice, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Chad B

Hello Chad. Thank you for staying with us at the Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We are currently going through a "hotel culture" change to ensure that customer service is the utmost priority so issues that you had will not happen again in the future.
We hope you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

So my daughter turned 5, and she wanted to have a vacation weekend at a hotel with an indoor pool. I went online and found this hotel and on the website it stated that there was an indoor pool. So the reservation was made and we headed up to Richmond for what should have been a great weekend. I was very displeased when I entered the lobby to check in to hear that the pool was under renovations. A little bit of info that would have been nice to know BEFORE I made the reservations. Now the hotel will not reimburse me because I didn't spend the night there and I should have cancelled 24 hours prior. I was quite surprised that they epected me to stay when it was their false advertisement (or lack of advertisement of the renovations) that made me not stay there. It had been a nightmare to get a simple $80 dollars returned. Well, this has left a bad taste in my mouth and will never even consider this hotel, or the use of hotels.com again. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 875tonys

Thank you for staying at the Magnuson Hotel. I apologize that the pool was not open during your stay. We had to remodel the area and unfortunately during this time, all websites did not have the updated information. The pool is now open year round as well as our jacuzzi. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I currently stayed at this hotel and my experience was horrible. The ac/heat did not work probably. The management staff was so unprofessional and the parking lot lights wasn’t working or turn off upon my arrival. (not safe for guest). The only good part about my stay was the night auditor person, he was polite, helpful, and well manner. (Also please speak this the Indian race manager, because she was very rude and unprofessional), she has a smart attitude and non-management skills, (my rate for her is a 1 on the scale). The rooms was horrible, and the rooms wasn’t like the ad I saw on the website. Please hire about management staff so that this hotel can be ran probably. As a guest and a manager I didn’t received a 100% service like I should have, I will never stay there again if things doesn’t improve.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Scott E
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I am sincerely concerned that we fell short under the time that I have been overseeing the property and will take the necessary actions that this does not happen in the future. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We were very comfortable in this hotel. The pool and spa were closed, but we knew that before we came. The heater in the room worked well and was quiet. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets clean. Since I am allergic to scents, they responded to my need for a scent-free room. It is obvious that this hotel is revamping itself, a little at a time. They are working on opening one of the restaurants as a Sports Bar. They gave excellent recommendations for restaurants and were very friendly. It's obvious that the new management is working hard to bring the hotel back to its former glory. I would definitely stay here again. In fact we stayed an extra night due to severe weather.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AMB9486

Thank you for your kind compliments. We are currently striving to improve service and the conditions of the hotel. Thank you again.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This hotel now looks like a haunted house. The management was excellent and was better run when it was Crown Plaza. AC does not work, heating does not work. I am going to get a complaint filed with the Henrico County's inspections department. How can a county like Henrico allow such a lousy management to operate the hotel. The management is horrible, the lady at the front desk has no manners and cannot speak a word in English.

On top of the awful nightmare at the hotel, I now see unexplained charges on my CC statement. This hotel is run by crooks interested in stealing your hard earned money.

Recommendation to all who are looking to stay here, so some place else! Why risk your vacation or a good night's sleep. There are cheaper places elsewhere where your safety is at least guaranteed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank TRIP6425

Dear Trip6425,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Upon driving into your parking lot, the place looked abandon and was kinda sketchy about staying there.. also the advertised lounge, indoor pool and spa were all closed for repair per the front desk people..so we were pretty disappointed with that fact.. I had told the Expedia agent I had stayed there years ago when it was a holiday inn and asked her to verify they still had a lounge and she did check for me and confirmed they still had a lounge..
First I'd like to say your staff was very friendly ..They really went out of their way to be helpful!
Our first room, the heat did not work, so the front deck person escorted us to another room and called when she went back to the front desk to make sure all was ok with the new room. ..the wall paper was pealing, and the furniture and tv were old style with limited number of channels , but functional and comfortable. again, I would say it was just below average for what I am use to staying in, but friendly and nice
..(bathroom fan and heater fan both were very noisy, I actually got up in the middle of the night and turn the heat off.)

Room Tip: I would call the front desk to make sure everything is working before reserving a room there