“Not recommended!!!”

Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
Ranked #75 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 23 June 2014

They gave me a room on sixth floor..no problem...wait elevator won't go past fifth.Walked up to sixth passing what may have been hookers in stairwell. Got to room...so hot..a/c doesn't work...bathroom is filthy.Go back down to lobby cancel...manager says it too late to cancel...will have to pay full two days..(card had already been charged...booked online where the pics looked great) and she did not have time for this because she had another job to get to. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PLACE.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank rmw11

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Well where can I start...booked room on discount site so it was average for what I paid, but if I would have paid the standard rate on the site I would have been thoroughly pissed off. We were there the weekend before Memorial Day so the hotel was pretty much empty, so the extra service that we received (which was minimal) was ok. I can imagine the hotel being full, we would have probably received no service, thank goodness we were there when it was empty.
We really only needed the room to sleep, we were there from Friday- Sunday, and ended up getting there at 3am on Saturday so we really didn't have time to go all over the hotel.

Our room was located at the furthest end of the hotel, maybe that was the only part open and then the breakfast was located all the way on the opposite end of the hotel. We didn't partake in the breakfast as both my father and I are disabled so it was easier to get in the car and find breakfast elsewhere than going back and forth on the long journey to breakfast. Nothing worked on the side of the hotel we were on, no ice, soda machines, etc. seemed like everything was shut down. We had a cooler with ice and drinks, thank goodness. The room was decent, seemed clean at least. My bed comforter had a nice juice stain on the inside, but I was so tired from traveling I could care less. Housekeeping staff was a bit rude, couldn't get a smile out of the woman if I gave her $100 bucks it seemed, but the guy was friendly, we asked for another pack of coffee (as there were two of us in the room) and she gave me a look like I asked her to go get us coffee from Starbucks or spin on a pole with a handstand :)...but hey maybe she was having a bad day.

The best employee that we ran into was the man at 3am, and he was new. He was very helpful. Also when I called to request 2 double beds as I booked on another site the woman was very pleasant and helpful. Any other time I called for something at the front desk they gladly reminded me that this was a 2.5 star...Meaning don't ask me for anything because I can not accommodate. Where is Anthony from the Travel Channel when you need him!

On a brighter note the hotel seems like at one time it was nice. Location was good if you needed to be around the West End section of Richmond. Highway was right outside of the hotel. It was very easy access to 95 and 64. Definitely needs some work on employees, maintenance and management. We were lucky that our room was decent and didn't run into any creepy crawlers, etc. If the staff could work on what they "CAN" do for you versus "this is a 2.5 star, sorry" than maybe things could change for this hotel. It was big and had a lot of space, but from the reviews and staying there I would not have an event there that needs to be attended to because there is no one there to attend to your needs, seemingly. Maybe for a meeting where I would just need the space and nothing extra.

Would I stay here again? If I am on a budget and know that I am looking for just a place to lay my head and nothing more. This is why I gave it an average rating as it was good in the room, and that's what we paid for and needed a place to lay our head after a packed with activities weekend trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Qilobaby
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Great location. Switched rooms when we got there. Went from with pets to without. So ended up walking to end of the hall,at the time the place was deserted. Had to ask for towels everytme we wanted to go to the pool. Breakfast was a joke and not on time . Needs better cleaning crew too, never saw them at all.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank aawbad
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stay here for 4 nites and i was keeping getting sick and coughing and snezzing i got to my convention and one of my co workers told me that it was a bad flood few years back and and the whole frist floor was under water and the owner at the time didnt replace any of the dry wall so mold is growing in the whole bluiding and on the top floors has rooms shut down because of it i dont know why health dept has not shut them down until it is fix or it kills someone black mold is very toxic

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank james j
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We made reservations online 2 days prior to arrival and when we showed they didn't even have a room ready for us. The floors were greatly stained throughout the hotel and we had to wait almost an hour for the housekeeping to clean up. As we entered the room a fowl smell met us. There was throw up on the dressers that had dried up and wasn't fully cleaned. We checked out within an hour of being there. As we left I asked for my pet refund and I was told no because he had to have the room cleaned which I was under the impression came standard with proper hotel maintenance. We will never go back to stay there. If it were possible I would give them a 0 for all questions!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank crystalmccoy
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel is beginning to show its age cosmetically. The facilities are clean and somewhat attractive. The staff could not have done more to assure that our stay was enjoyable. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms clean.
The continental breakfast was limited. One waffle maker proved insufficient with a large number of guests. There was a constant wait for coffee each morning. This area needs improvement.
Overall, our visit was enjoyable. The price, location, and friendly staff will bring us back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank denmiller2003
Reviewed 26 April 2014

There is nothing grand about this hotel. The pictures on the website are NO WHERE NEAR what it actually looks like. The tv has no cable, but free wifi? Weird right! Also, no remote on tv only station we got was bob Ross (the painter)......BORING! The bathroom needs serious work, while they updates the tile and counter, the paint was chipping, moldy, and broken. The shower liner had mold on it, as well the grouting. Never again, I feel that a motel 6, would have been ALOT better.

• Stayed: April 2014