“Just go!”

and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 173 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: VMFA Arts is a top comprehensive US art museum with more than 5,000 years of art from around the world. VMFA is open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. The Wall Street Journal recently stated that VMFA is now a "two day museum."
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase
Washington DC
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Just go!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was my second visit here. The first time I came for the Picasso show, and then went home. I had no idea of the quality of this museum. The exhibits are extensive and extremely well done. There was easy parking for $5, then a short walk to the museum through beautiful grounds. If you do not go to a special exhibit, admission is free! There are two places to eat. An excellent restaurant on the third floor, and a cafe on the first. The people working here are extremely pleasant and helpful.Go, you will be happy you did.

1 Thank MaryJane03

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
830 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 419 helpful votes
“Fantastic wide-ranging collection”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Really fantastic and wide-ranging collection. Several asian countries, south american, tapestries, silver, european and american paintings, furniture. Unfortunately, the famed Faberge egg collection is out on loan until 2016. Too much to see in one visit. My favorites were the French impressionist paintings and the art deco/art nouveau furniture which are all on the rear of the 3rd floor. There is an upscale restaurant on the 3rd floor as well as a cafe on the ground floor. Admission is free except for any special exhibits. Nice gift store.

Raleigh, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Mind-Blowing Collection & Grounds”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I drove 2.5 hours to visit the VMFA because I wanted to see their Art Nouveau collection. But WOW, was I *ever* delighted to find so much more at this impressive art museum.

For starters, the Art Nouveau collection was amazing as well as the Art Deco collection. And that was only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Their collection of French paintings are stunning with one of the most lovely Monet paintings I've seen. It seems all the big-named French artists are represented in this room as well as some of the lesser famous. The French gallery was large and well lit so the room didn't feel crowded.

The museum staff was very friendly and informative. Also the museum security staff wandering throughout the museum were very helpful when needing assistance to find a specific collection or room. I was impressed by the collection knowledge of a few of the security staff I talked with and was able to share my love of the detailed and intricately carved frames with one staffer while in the French gallery.

I found amazing treasures in every gallery I wandered through ~ beautiful statues in the South Asian gallery, a wonderful collection in the European, American and Mid to Late 20th Century galleries. And after six hours there, including a delicious dinner at their Amuse restaurant, there was still much more to see. I'm saving that for my next visit.

I wanted to spend some time outdoors on their grounds before sunset. To my delight I discovered in their Best Café, a jazz band playing till closing. Outside the Best Café and below the Amuse restaurant, there is a reflecting pool with water plants and Dale Chihuly glass installed in the pool. The exterior dining for the Best Café is next to this pool so their guests could enjoy an evening of jazz and dining next to this water feature.

There is a set of stairs that takes you up a small rise to a yoga platform. Next to the stairs is flowing water that mirrors the stair steps flowing into the reflection pool. At the top of the stairs is a beautiful sculpture and to the left (next to the yoga platform and beyond) is a walkway lined with another reflection pool, small fountains and a water fall. Benches along the walkway are provided.

I work and volunteer at a large art museum on the East coast with an amazing collection and beautiful grounds. I visit a lot of museums and compare them to where I work / volunteer. What made the VMFA so mind-blowing for me is the 'whole package' ~ the collection, the restaurant, the gift shop, the grounds, the entertainment offered throughout the month, the well trained employees and honestly, the list goes on and on. The VMFA gave 'my art museum' a run for their money and honestly, that rarely happens.

I am looking forward to returning again and plan to attend their autumn special exhibition. I most likely will purchase and 'out of town' membership when I return. Now that's another brilliant idea ! !

If you find a trip to Richmond, Virginia in your future, take the time to visit this impressive art museum. And give yourself enough time to immerse yourself in all the VMFA has to offer.

Atlanta, Georgia
155 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 210 helpful votes
“Extensive Collection”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We visited here at the suggestion of a native Virginian who told us about the fabulous Faberge egg collection. Unfortunately all but one are currently on tour to Quebec. We visited several galleries and were impressed with the quality of the works on display. One particularly spectacular display is in the South Asian Gallery. There is a huge marble pavilion, full size, on display in the center of the room. We lived in India for two years and saw a number of beautifully carved marble temples and forts with the same organic and geometric shapes (lotus blossom) at the tops of doorways and windows. The building itself is beautiful and well-maintained. We were surprised that there was no admission fee.

Lexington, Kentucky
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Wonderful museum!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Excellent collection, and the building itself is beautiful. Be sure to check out their after-hours wine and jazz evenings and the art/flowers exhibit every two years.

Visited August 2013