Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #1 of 182 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: VMFA Arts is a top comprehensive US art museum with more than 5,000 years of art from around the world. VMFA is open 365 days a year and general admission is always free. The Wall Street Journal recently stated that VMFA is now a "two day museum."
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A wonderful Art Museum! Beautiful Art, we went for the Mellon Collection but were surprised at so much available to see. Great parking plus easy to find. Nice restaurant overlooking the grounds, water falls. Spend at least a couple of hours maybe 4.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,547)
All reviews
"gift shop"
in 111 reviews
"historical society"

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Sanctuary-- that is the word that best describes VMFA to me. It is my absolute favorite place in all of Richmond, Virginia to visit. It is the perfect place to go when you want to experience visual beauty as well as be refreshed internally. It is a place that supports inner peace and quiet as well as sensory awe and excitment. The art available to experience is extraordinary. My personal favorite is the Modern Art Section, which is located on the second floor. Although I have visited several collections and exhibits, I always return to the Modern Art Collection and I am never disappointed. Whenever I visit the museum, I always enjoy eating in the Best Cafe, where the food is always fresh, plentiful and totally yummy. The prices are competitive for the area. I also enjoy browsing in the gift shop on every visit. There are always great art books to review as well as a great selection of potential art related gifts. I also enjoy purchasing postcards of the art I have viewed during my visit to share with friends and family. If you are looking for a memorable as well as reflective way to spend your day, you can't go wrong by visiting this fine museum.Oh and did I mention that the admission to the museum is free!(every day)The only cost involved is when you visit Special(visiting)Exhibits. I do have to give the museum props for offering a free day this summer on Thursdays for one of its Special exhibits, which allowed many school children as well as low income individuals to be exposed to this special art experience. I think that is amazing!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Each time we enter the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is a wonderful experience. It is a great museum to visit on a leisurely afternoon or to introduce out of town house guests to one of the gems of Richmond, Virginia. The Faberge egg collection is one of the largest and one of my favorites. The new modern wing is an excellent addition. The food and atmosphere in the members dining room is excellent for those fortunate enough to attend with a member.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We visiting the Museum of Fine Arts on The last Friday in July 2014. The museum is open Fridays until 9pm, so we spent two hours there after dinner. That allowed us to visit most of the exhibits. The quality of what they have is much higher than one would expect and the breadth of kinds of art covered was impressive. It is not the Art Institute in Chicago, nor does the Met in NYC have anything to fear. But admission is free, the experience is excellent and one is free from crowds. We particularly enjoyed the Art Deco exhibits. The Faberge eggs exhibit is touring right now, so we did not get to see that world-class exhibit. As someone who grew up in Richmond and has seen that exhibit many times, it is indeed outstanding and I was sorry we missed it. There are two restaurants and an excellent gift shop attached to the museum as well. This is well worth the visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The collection in VMFA is excellent~! Mellon family contributed a good portion of the artwork and they definitely were big acquirers and generous with this museum.

VMFA's collection is very diverse and spread over three very attractive and spacious floors and numerous rooms. The price free except for special exhibits. The collections include Post Impressionists, Modern America, Pop Art, European masters, Egyptian and Greek antiquities, modern art and more.

I have been privileged to see over 15 fine arts museums in the USA and many more in Europe.
I rank VMFA in a league that includes Philadelphia Museum of Art, Baltimore Museum of Art, Brooklyn Museum, The Getty in LA, The Guggenheim and the Boston Fine Arts Museum. I would rank VMFA a step or two below the Metropolitan Museum of Art, LACMA in LA, The Arts Institute of Chicago, and MOMA in NYC (MOMA, however, is principally known for Impressionist art). This is admittedly subjective thinking on my part but I pride myself on being somewhat a student of art museums.

I think you need a minimum of 2-3 hours here. While here take breaks in The Best Café and or The Amuse. We did both during our visit here.

The gift shop is very spacious and comprehensive. The prices are not cheap but the selection is broad and diverse!

Been to Virginia Museum of Fine Arts? Share your experiences!