“Great afternoon at the Science Museum of Virginia”

Science Museum of Virginia
Ranked #15 of 176 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Owner description: "We're not your dad's Science Museum!" says Science Museum of Virginia Director/CWO (that's Chief Wonder Officer) Richard Conti. "Our newly re-imagined Museum is a place that is relevant to your life and fun!"Our mission: Inspiring Virginians to enrich their lives through science.Our Story: Since its founding by the Virginia General Assembly in 1970, the Science Museum of Virginia has become the premier center for hands-on science education in Virginia. The Museum has permanent exhibitions on health, energy and natural science and includes hundreds of interactive exhibits, fascinating artifacts, live animals, a theater company and cutting edge technology. The 76-foot Dome Theater creates the ultimate "you are there" experience with the largest film screen in Virginia wrapped around you. The Museum also features visiting exhibitions, educational programming, overnight adventures, lectures, demonstrations and summer camps. The Museum receives guidance and generous support from community leaders and organizations. The Museum's Board of Trustees is appointed by the Governor and provides oversight and policy guidance. The Science Museum of Virginia Foundation raises funds to support the mission, operations and capital needs of the museum. The Museum is also the parent organization for the Danville Science Center. The Science Museum of Virginia is located in Richmond's Museum District, in historic Broad Street Station designed by renowned architect John Russell Pope, at 2500 West Broad Street.
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My daughter and I visited the Science Museum of Virginia today and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed the "Boost" and the "How to Make a Monster" exhibits. I particularly enjoyed the full dome movie about the Google Lunar X-Prize and really enjoyed the live planetarium show afterward. The presenter did a great job with the live projection system, showed us objects currently visible in the night sky and was very knowledgeable. I highly recommend visiting this museum - it's a real treasure and it keeps getting better and better.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My 4 children (18, 16, 14, 11) and I spent several hours in the museum. Parts of it were crowded due to groups of children (camps, summer school, daycare groups), but we just went to different areas. There was a lot to look at and it is very hands on. We were not able to visit the entire museum during our trip, but we very much liked what we did see. There were plenty of staff members available.We bought the year-long family passes, so we are now members. We look forward to returning.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This museum was great! There is a live animal lab where the kids with our group were able to pet a snake, a make a monster exhibit, the Dome movie theater where we watched a movie on the space race and the night sky over Richmond and lots of other space and earth science exhibits to play on and in. This is a very interactive museum. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Note: Go to the Dome and watch anything they are offering. We have been to several museum movie domes and this was the best. Sit near the top!

ScienceMuseumVA, Public Relations Manager at Science Museum of Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to send us your comments - we are thrilled that you had such a great visit!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have went to many a science museum in our time as my wife is a science teacher.
This was by far the most disappointing. Poorly staffed and many of the exhibits broken.
Not a place I would recommend going to.
On the plus side the building itself is beautiful

3  Thank sdc1701
Reviewed 30 March 2014

iMax movie of solar weather was very cool; nice talk afterwards. Don't miss the RAT BASKETBALL! One of the funniest, quirkiest and best events that I've been to. Overall the museum does an excellent job of teaching while also making it fun (not boxes of displays -- everything can be interacted with and even as a "46 year old kid" I enjoyed a lot of them)

2  Thank John S